Black Pus
All My Relations

by C.F. USER (19 Reviews)
March 19th, 2013 | 41 replies

Release Date: 03/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brian Chippendale makes some more noise.

If you've ever heard Lightning Bolt, you're aware of the cacophonous fury that drummer Brian Chippendale is capable of, so it's no surprise that his solo project Black Pus delivers the goods in very healthy doses. And boy, does it ever. Without LB bassist Brian Gibson, Black Pus glues his songs together with deep sine-waves that are deranged and distorted beyond recognition, oscillating every which way with the rhythm of the beat like some industrialized didgeridoo. Similar to Lightning Bolt, he adds equally fubar vocal tracks that squeal and soar their way through an array of distortion pedals into the noise, elevating it and ultimately contributing to the earache that is Black Pus. Of course, all of this chaos and nausea is to be expected, but what does this album mean for our hyperactive friend?

Lightning Bolt's 2009 release Earthly Delights saw them taking a more poppy approach to their music. It show cased more sensible vocal melodies, sharper production and even a guitar (err, banjo string on bass) solo here and there. Yet even the most hardcore fans had no reason to complain, because it still brought that grating brutality that the duo is known for. The same thing can be said about All My Relations. Chippendale is free to stretch his legs and make some ridiculous tribal onslaughts peppered with dissonance while also showing some real signs of catchiness as heard in “1000 Years”. I mean hell, the simplified beat and inclusion of an actual lyrics sheet gives the sense that he wants you to sing along and hear what he's yelping. It would only make sense that this album is more drum-centric, which it is, but Chippendale does not take this as an opportunity to be overly self-indulgent. Every one of the beats on this album has its own quirks and nuances, never over staying its welcome despite this album's several 6+ minute songs. It's just too damn hypnotic for any listener to give a ***.

Unwavering driving drum rhythms, bowel shaking tones to ground said rhythms, and tortured vocals that switch between strangely catchy and hauntingly ***ed up, Black Pus delivers what fans expect and does it so well that the question of whether or not Chippendale is stagnating is neither here nor there. Just listen and feel your innards shake, but don't say I didn't warn you.

The Leather Nun Slow DeathMerchandise After The End
Merchandise / Destruction Unit / Milk Music USA 13 SplitScreaming Females What If Someone Is Watching Their TV?
Milk Music Cruise Your IllusionDicks Hate the Police

Black Pus I
recommended by reviewer
Lightning Bolt Wonderful Rainbow
Hella Tripper

1000 years music video:

this album is obligatory for any lightning bolt fans

Iluvatar

christian fountain othering HARD

hey man this is my 4th review to be filed under OTHER

samtopia
March 19th 2013

Normally I'd consider Delights to be one of their most unhinged and distorted records but I liked your argument for it as one of their poppier ones, this album destroys. Pos'd.

March 19th 2013

i mean i think i've heard him say that it's like their only album that was actually mastered

samtopia
March 19th 2013

I believe it, I just always thought Rainbow was their cleanest sounding one that kept the low end intact, plus I always think of fuzzier tracks like Sublime Freak or Flooded Chamber when I think of Delights haha.

March 19th 2013

yeah Delights certainly still brings the fuk

March 20th 2013

yeah this is pretty damn good for a scrappy little solo side project

March 20th 2013

good review i read it for sure will i like this

March 20th 2013

if you know what good for ya

is that a no

idk is it?

March 20th 2013

no it isnt good for me i would know im a doctor

March 20th 2013

you mean to other lightning bolt stuff? it's about as good as Earthly Delights and their new
compilation EP thing whatever, similar production anyway

compared to other Black Pus? i haven't heard any other entire album, just random shit, but it
definitely has way better production value. same ol' LB though

Funeralopolis
March 20th 2013

came here to say the album cover looks like earthly delights

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict

Omaha
March 20th 2013

Surprised I didn't cover this, considering the bright and colorful artwork. ;]

Nice work, man. I didn't know you were such a good reviewer.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

cool album artz

clander270
March 20th 2013

I was writing a review for this album as well, basically saying the exact same things. Good review, good album.

mindleviticus
March 20th 2013

major props for reviewing this, it fucking rules

Ire
March 20th 2013

pos gonna check out lov u