Faggot
Dead.Love.Faggot

by Tahssa USER (2 Reviews)
March 17th, 2013 | 49 replies | 3,803 views

Release Date: 03/10/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Faggot is a Houston-based self-proclaimed "experimental swag mender" who, at first glance, seems like your typical tumble-appraised bedroom rapper. However, upon first listen of his debut album "Dead.Love.Faggot" I was shocked to find that I had invested

Faggot is a Houston-based self-proclaimed "experimental swag mender" who, at first glance, seems like your typical tumble-appraised bedroom rapper. However, upon first listen of his debut album "Dead.Love.Faggot" I was shocked to find that I had invested myself in something quite, quite different. Although, on paper, Faggot may seem to be your typical weed MC, there seems to be a certain spice to his character with these consistently pitch shifted vocals that makes his voice out to resemble a mid-puberty 13 year old as lyrics about drugs, sex and Kitty Pryde glaze the mysteriously spacey and awkward instrumentals and the final aesthetic comes dangerously close to what I would describe as "MattyBRaps huffs permanent marker". It contains an underlying magic, it's funny, iconic, almost hugely satirical of hip-hop's current climate of edgy internet personalities and Lil' B mixtapes.

"Dead.Love.Faggot" barely scrapes the 15 minute mark and in that short time period still manages to cover more ground than every bi-seasonal RiFF RAFF release combined. Lyrically, it's quite in depth, whether the line is constructed from abstract lyricism or highly indulgent words, it is evident that there is deeper meaning and subtle emotional drive within them ready for the listener to discern for themselves what it means. "*** the US, *** Canada, *** Time Magazine, And *** the Man of the Year, yeah *** that, *** being white", is just one example of just one example of the clever satire present, mocking the stereotypical "I don't give a ***" character so many young rappers try to market in today's industry.

The biggest surprise and frankly unsung hero inside of Dead.Love, however, is the production. The beats mold the one-of-a-kind atmosphere of the album. It emits a post-Odd Future/post-Clams Casino vibe that serves as a hilarious deconstruction of the "Weird-O rap" culture that's been noticeably on the rise these days. It's quirky in a way, brutally honest, and quite an attention grabber as you may find in the following lyric from the song "My Mom Found My Weed (Bitch Found My Weed)"- "*** not having cars, not having clothes, I also hate gays; *** Faggots yo". As I've said, speculation is always a fun aspect in abstract lyricism, but this one, to me, was rather upfront and off putting. With further analysis i've come to the conclusion that he's obviously not homophobic, I mean, his stage name is "Faggot". With that fact at hand, it's seemingly yet another irony. It's evident that this is a stab at actual homophobes, this is where that depth in lyricism comes into play. There are many tricky and mind-twisting concepts such as this one. It's certain that this album has managed to portray a sense of openness. By this I mean it gives a little but there are so many different philosophies to take from it. This aspect truly increases in the replay value that was already previously present. I can say I've listened to this album atleast 5 times, and even though the first thing you may draw from it is "it's kinda catchy", I'm still getting something new from it with every listen.

More into the track-list; "Never not Rich". The production is absolutely on point, and surprisingly professional. You could say that it gives a nostalgic feeling of an even more redundant Earl Sweatshirt. Although this may probably be your favorite track on the list, the album comes full circle with the concepts that surround it. All if it compliments eachother quite harmoniously, it's extremely well put together. The opening track and consequential skit (labeled "The Genesis" & "A$AP Ferg Diss" respectively) prove this hand in hand with the femcee-stalking protagonist illustrated in "plz respodn". They add this sense of hilarity and playfulness to Faggot, projecting the "fun" factor that should be represented more within the mainstream today.

All in all, Dead.Love.Faggot is without a doubt an imaginative piece of work. Innovation at it's finest within the internet. It makes for an enjoyable 15 minute soundtrack to that friend who offered you weed in the bathroom stall in middle school, and could leave you very wishful for a full length by Faggot in the near future if you're anything like me and enjoy discovering new sounds & unorthodox perspectives within the genre.

Wizard

19343 Comments

Why is this band called Faggot?

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

apparently its already tomorrow

Digging: Shed - Shot Selection

DarthMann
March 16th 2013

"Why is this band called Faggot?"
lololol

offensive name reported you fucking homopgobe

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

PorkchopExpress
March 16th 2013

OK, so I was actually intrigued enough by this to check it out on Bandcamp. First half is pretty terrible, but "Never Not Rich" is actually really awesome and it stays good from that point on.

Lakes.
March 16th 2013

hey this has the f word in the title why haven't the mods removed it from the database

Digging: Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

mindleviticus
March 16th 2013

lol at least it gives me a good reason to say the word

I'll check out it out. Faggot seems pretty cool

holy fuck this review

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

Kman418
March 16th 2013

thought this would be a brutal death metal band

Digging: OutKast - Aquemini

sixdegrees

wow great stage name

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

evilford
March 16th 2013

'With further analysis i've come to the conclusion that he's obviously not homophobic, I mean, his stage name is "Faggot".'

lol

Digging: Afflicted - Prodigal Sun

evilford

Aoty is Faggot

March 16th 2013

Wish this guy would tour with Niggers

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

March 16th 2013

This must be the worst shit ever

geasoftime

Typical Faggot rap album

joshieboy12345
March 16th 2013

Lmao. ''Hey dude, check out my band their called Faggot''.

oltnabrick

Wizard
March 17th 2013

19343 Comments

offensive name reported you fucking homopgobe

Actually, I was going to laugh but the humour of the word faggot was last funny in 1997.