Iron Lung
White Glove Test

by speedkills1995 USER (15 Reviews)
March 15th, 2013 | 26 replies

Release Date: 03/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: How often can grindcore bands release an LP that stands out among mediocre albums of the same genre? The moment of truth has come.

Two-piece hardcore veterans Iron Lung have released yet another full throttle LP, and the group's intensity is still as vivid and violent as previous releases. Quite an accomplishment, one could say, considering how many hardcore bands have continued forward for years on end (as Iron Lung has) and have grown stale in their sound with the curse of time. Iron Lung, through some mystical secret, can prove themselves to be above these "unmentioned" bands. Perhaps by launching a furious 18-track LP, which can clock in at over twenty minutes and not only keep your ears pleased but also pull you in and allow you to see the true diversity and wonderful musicianship these two can create.

This new LP begins with three pounding tracks, each of them less than a minute in length. I would generally antagonize this, for reasons regarding what a new listener may be enticed to think: "just another short-song hardcore album". Even so, Iron Lung pulls it off quite well and without becoming too monotonous or repetitive, even in such a short time span.

As the album progresses, we are introduced to three tracks titled "Brutal Supremacy", I, II, and III. The first of this trinity opens with grooving drum work, building up gradually to a slow yet crazed climax that is a bit simplistic yet very ideal for an album of this sort. The second and third sections oppose the first by preferring a full-power grindcore style as opposed to the slower groove presented in the first part. These three songs are definitely stand outs on this LP.

The second side of the LP offers more short, distraught tracks, similar to the album's opening songs. This makes it seem as though the Brutal Supremacy tracks were a bit of a strange "interlude". Iron Lung quickly plows through several spastic, crazed songs, such as "Monolith" and the title track, and while they deliver a fast-paced powerviolence backdrop, they still maintain a tightly-knit sound and lay down even the fastest tracks with perfection.

I would venture to say that the last track of the album, clocking at two and a half minutes, allows the entire LP to take a darker turn. "Industry Endings" finishes off the album in a clean-cut manner, serving well as a slow-paced finale to what we could consider a horror film roller coaster of an album.

After listening to this axe-slinging craze we call Iron Lung perform 18 killer tracks, I was pondered the feasibility of a grindcore LP impressing someone of my taste. When it boils down to grindcore and/or powerviolence, I am aimed toward 7" vinyl. Short songs on a short record. I would generally look at LPs of this genre and even cringe at the thought of how devastatingly boring they would become after two listens. Needless to say, I have replayed "White Glove Test" an uncounted amount of times now, and it still satisfies me. If you are a grindcore fan in need of something fresh, give this one a listen.

Beartrap Sleep EradicationJungle Juice Involuntary Convulsions
Abolition The Language of ViolenceCircle Takes the Square Decompositions: Volume Number One
The Sorrow The SorrowBecoming The Archetype I Am
matthew turok (4)
The Iron Lungs take you back to the good ol' days of powerviolence....

Sexless // No Sex

March 15th 2013

this band isnt grindcore and this review doesnt say anything

someguest

powerviolence*

Adabelle
March 15th 2013

Wait so this has their tracks from that four-way split on it?

March 15th 2013

powerviolence is just grind for people that take showers

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

Hep Kat

this leaked like 20 years ago and its pretty neat-o

ShadowRemains

fuckin rulz, whoever gave this a 2 can foad

joshieboy12345
March 15th 2013

Do members of this band smoke? I hope they have Iron Lungs!

MichaelSnoxall
March 15th 2013

I was glad to see this had a review, but I read the first line and didn't bother reading the rest.

March 16th 2013

reminded you of one of your own reviews yeah?

GiaNXGX

huh

Two-piece hardcoreveterans Iron Lung

What?

"just another short-song hardcore album' lol

stukko
March 16th 2013

lol at this review. Iron Lung phoned this album in so hard. Also, you didn't once mention the lyrics or the squeaky clean production.

March 16th 2013

are you an iron lung elitist

EyesWideShut
March 18th 2013

little late but from the few songs i heard im diggin this one more than sexless

FourthReich
March 19th 2013

the final track is amazing, the album gets a bit redundant at times but definitely one of the better releases of 2013 thus far.

Digging: Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

speedkills1995
March 25th 2013

Excuse the hell out of me for not being a fucking journalism graduate. The only people that ever comment on the reviews I write are pricks.

FourthReich
March 25th 2013

fuck em

kingsoby1
April 5th 2013

yeah ignore alach he has this disorder where he gets a boner from pointing out flaws in things posted on the internet in an obstinate/arrogant way. it's probably terminal.

i dont think your review is bad by any means. reads more like a track by track, but is ok. last record is my fav by these guys

plane
April 29th 2013

surprising lack of hustle on this album. good stuff

ShadowRemains

ya this is dope agreed

demigod!
April 29th 2013

their last album was pretty cool might check this

never been able to get that into powerviolence though

Digging: Autechre - LP5