Genesis
Wind & Wuthering

by Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers USER (67 Reviews)
March 12th, 2006 | 45 replies | 10,369 views

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Forty to fifty percent of marriages end in divorce in the US. And even though they didnít get married in the US, progressive Genesis and pop Genesis got divorced. Pop Genesis got the better deal, getting to keep the band members to continue working as a successful single parent throughout the 80s. Progressive Genesis got kicked to the curb, after having a full hold of the band members in the first half of the 70s. When vocalist Peter Gabriel left in 1975, the marriage became a bit strained. Drummer Phil Collins took over, and pop Genesis had made it clear that things were going to change. But not yet. For two albums, A Trick of the Tail, and this, progressive Genesis and pop Genesis fought bitterly for custodial rights. Progressive Genesis had dominated for a while, but on Wind and Wuthering, the fight was becoming more even.

But one canít ďblame" Peter Gabriel for Genesis becoming a synth pop band. Wind and Wuthering was the last album with guitarist Steve Hackett, frustrated because the band wouldnít accept his works more on the album. It shows, Hackettís guitar rarely takes the lead in any of the songs, and is timidly in the back of the songs on the softer ones. Instead, the album is much more orchestral, for an already very orchestral band, heavily based on Tony Banksí eloquently surging Mellotron and synthesizers. This orchestral feel results in a softer Genesis on the album at times, sentimental, harmonic, clues as to what Genesis would become on this albumís successors, And Then There Were Three and Duke. This results in soft, buoyant, sophisticatedly simple songs like Afterglow and Blood on the Rooftops. Phil Collinsí voice definitely shines on those songs, his soft voice fits the songs perfectly, especially when backed by angelic backing harmonies on Afterglow. This also comes off as bland other times, Your Own Special Way is a cheesy, bland ballad that fails to capture any magic the rest of the album. The only interesting part of the song is the elegant electric piano interlude before returning to a repetitive song.

Progressive Genesis bites back, with songs like Eleventh Earl of Mar (complete with a storyline based on a Middle Ages figure) and Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers... In that Quiet Earth (often split into two parts.) The former sums up the album rather nicely, one part energetic prog onslaught of various keyboards, one part quiet, intimate soft-pop. And though his voice isnít as lively or versatile as Gabrielís, Collins does a good job. The latter is one of Genesisí best instrumentals, and where all the band members join together. Hackett and Collins specifically stand out, Hackett leading the song with a spacey guitar melody, who keeps relatively quiet on the album, besides some acoustic guitar playing, and manic drumming from Collins. Shame the lazy bastard started using drum machines later on. Genesisí [largely ripped off by 80s and 90s prog bands] brand of elegant, sweeping progressive rock is still maintains a large presence in the music on Wind and Wuthering.

Wind and Wuthering wonít be an album someone will be able to enjoy entirely if he/she only wants that Selling England by the Pound majestic prog, or straightforward songs having an easy-listening quality. There are fantastic moments of the bandís farewell to progressive. Tony Banks especially, with some of his best playing on the calm/minimal to lively/complex type song One for the Vine. There are also some moments of dullness, like the first four minutes of One for the Vine (the second half of the song totally makes up for it, though), Your Own Special Way, or the synth driven instrumental Wot Gorilla?. The main hook of the absurdly titled song is done to death for the whole thing. Still, itís an album worth checking out for anyone whoís loved Foxtrot or Trespass. It may be a bit daunting for people who are only fans of pop Genesis, or just pop music in general. But pop Genesis got its way in the divorce, so what do they care?

Pharoahe Monch DesireEl-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jaylib Champion SoundMF DOOM MM.. Food
RZA Afro Samurai SoundtrackEloy Inside
Matthijs van der Lee (3.5)
Before ending up as a trio, Genesis put out their final progressive record....

psylocibin
March 12th 2006

Peter Gabriel left in 1974 if I am not mistaken, after the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Anyways, very good review, very very very below average cd... It's sad to see the way things turned, Genesis was such an amazing prog rock group, my favorite. It may still have some prog rock elements but, it's "popness" is just too overwhelming...

pulseczar
March 12th 2006

No, he did leave in 1975, because he toured with Genesis to support 'the Lamb' before leaving.

Zebra
March 12th 2006

Nice review. Your writing is so smooth and easy to get read.
I haven't really listened to much Genesis lately, and never really have. I'll have to download a few tracks off of this.

Storm In A Teacup

Typical pwnage from you.

NOTINTHEFACE
March 12th 2006

Spectacular review. This is the first Genesis album I heard, and I essentially grew up with the songs off it. Blood on the Rooftops is wonderful, puts me to sleep every time, hehe.

Jawaharal
March 12th 2006

I don't like progressive music too much anymore =/

LF96
March 15th 2006

I like this album, although it is indeed a rather uneven album.

The artwork is beautiful however, I bought the LP of this mostly for the artwork, I hadn't heard a track of it before.

pulseczar
March 18th 2006

[quote=cheeto]I don't like progressive music too much anymore =/[/quote]

Is it because you suck?

I take back what I said about One For the Vine; it's pure sex.

UncalledFor
September 25th 2007

Spot on review. This album is really cool, only a step behind Nursery cryme IMO. Your own special way is godawful but every other track kicks butt more or less (less on Wot Gorilla?, Unquiet slumbers and Afterglow but more on Eleventh, Vine, Blood and Quiet earth).This Message Edited On 09.25.07

clairvoyant
September 25th 2007

...In That Quiet Earth is such a great song.

rodrigo90
July 29th 2010

wtf? wind and wuthering is light years better than a trick of the tail how come that trick has a higher rate than wind and wuthering...i'll think that is their second magnus opus specially when the true genesis fans hate phil collins as a singer and as how the band started to died since duke...

Jethro42
September 28th 2010

12076 Comments

...how the band started to died since duke...

Post Gabriel era:
'Trick' > 'Wind' >> 'Duke' > 'And then' > 'Abacab' > s/t 'Genesis' (rest is pretty forgettable)
No weak song on here. Excellent job on the review. It's a shame the band didn't let enough room to maestro Steve Hackett, causing eventually his departure. His compo 'In that quiet Earth' demonstrates that he was a key man in their line up. Check his brillant solo career out if you didn't yet.

ThiagoSama
December 9th 2010

This album is excellent, but a trick of the tail is much much better!

But both aren't as brillant as classic Genesis, with Peter.

September 21st 2011

gota hear this one

Ire
March 11th 2012

i heard some of this today and it was pretty great not gon' lie

Jethro42

12076 Comments

Superb album. Almost as good as ATOTT, which says a lot.

Ire

keeeeybooaaaarrrrrdssss

mutatedfreek
March 11th 2012

Man I love this... first Genesis album I heard fully, first Genesis album I bought on vinyl, good times.

Killerhit
April 25th 2013

this is really nice

Insurrection
May 31st 2013

19543 Comments

avg rating is deceiving. this is phenomenal

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing for Us Here