Boris
Präparat

by Eli EMERITUS
March 14th, 2013 | 125 replies

Release Date: 03/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boris reinvent themselves once more with a record that sounds both fresh and familiar.

It does not take long to realize that Praparat is a relatively dramatic departure from Boris’ 2011 offerings. While said albums dabbled in hard rock, shoegaze, and even J-pop, the metal behemoth’s latest is a beautiful return to the heavy, dense, and murky sounds that made them such a beloved institution to begin with. Although the Japanese trio can effortlessly pull off just about any musical style with gusto, they display a keen understanding of music with a darker, heavier persuasion. Praparat is indicative of this, as it is an all-encompassing celebration of Brois’ past and present; a decidedly metal album that brings together a bevy of different styles into one absorbing and intense experience.

Praparat will feel wholly familiar for fans of Boris’ early material. It features a “sludgier”, more drone oriented sound than anything the band has produced in years. Yet there’s something lurking underneath the surface that seeks to alter the dark and mysterious aesthetic. There’s an undeniable sense of brightness here, even amongst the darkest of tones. Despite the insistence that it is Boris’ return to what made them a household name, Praparat is much more than a bare bones metal record. It’s a practice in subtlety, though, with mellow guitar and luxurious melodies sprinkled about the mammoth chords and reverb. But if anything, Boris know how to pull off an intricately layered song. Bouts of dreamy pop and shoegaze are found all over the album and stand as stark contrasts. These moments appear irregularly, however, as much of the album is spent creating a massive and explosive sound, full of slow and deliberate guitar and ground-shaking bass. Added to this, much of the record takes a page from Heavy Rocks and Pink, and holds some of Wata’s most intense work yet. The tones used are deafening and the solos are simply mesmerizing. All of this helps to make the album the stylistic potpourri that it is; a hodge podge of different influences that simply works thanks to Boris’ always impressive songwriting abilities.

With their latest musical foray, Boris once again prove that they are masters of their craft. Praparat is yet another statement by the band, declaring that they will make the music that they want to make, rather than the music they should. As always, it is endearing to be caught off guard by the enigmatic trio. In the end, Boris transform themselves once more and release their most fully realized, expansive records to date.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
SputnikSweetheart (4)
Boris' most intimate record to date might as well be their best in recent years...

Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Boris put everything they've done before into a blender, but sometimes the juice blend isn't as swee...

Xenophanes
March 14th 2013

Over-hyping this but idc it's boris

This was a chore to write and I think it reads as such : [
May need to take a break for awhile

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

Voivod
March 14th 2013

Great review, this band's output is beyond monstrous.

Completely sold

Completely sold [2]

Digging: Aeon Sable - Visionaers

theacademy

new boris

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

WashboardSuds
March 14th 2013

I think the review reads just fine

I really loved New Album, but I haven't picked up anything released later than that. I'll have to catch up soon

HSThomas
March 14th 2013

celebration of Brois’ past and present

*Boris' past.

Didn't know the band had a name change ;)

NocteDominum

Don't ya know this is Bro is ; ]

greg84
March 14th 2013

Fix the last sentence. Other than that, great review Eli.

I need to give it a spin. I like some of their stoner rock/sludge records.

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

Right on

toxin.
March 14th 2013

"In the end, Boris transform themselves once more and release their most fully realized, expansive records to date"
I'm guessing you wrote one of their most fully realized, expansive records and then removed "one of" ?
Yeah just remove the s from records. Otherwise, great review as always.

Thane
March 14th 2013

fuckin sweet getting this now

Digging: John Galm - Sky of No Stars

Boris rule

clercqie
March 14th 2013

Some songs really remind me of old Black Sabbath. Which is good, very good.

Nice review. It reads fine to my eyes. Consice also, but it says all it has to.

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

March 14th 2013

Yeah I got a bit of a Sabbath vibe on a couple tracks

FadedSun
March 14th 2013

What warranted that extra .1?

Xenophanes

Because I fucking can.

sounds like a black sabbath cover band HEY GREG

Voivod

Because I fucking can.

m/

greg84

@kingsoby1:
Haha. I'm actually familiar with their Heavy Rocks albums, and Feedbacker, and Flood...

March 14th 2013

boris rocks harder than most bands

MichaelSnoxall