Frostbyte
Codex

Review Summary: With the technicality of math rock, the glitchiness of Skate 3, and more hooks than Wal-Mart's fishing section, Frostbyte's "Codex" could be the soundtrack to the most frantic and colorful of retro video games.

Frostbyte’s obscurity is at odds with his knack for transforming useless noise into music. “Codex” is the young producer’s self-proclaimed attempt at a magnum opus; after two years of hard work and cutting out the filler, it seems that he made a commendable effort. Clocking in at around 41 minutes, “Codex” is filled to the brim with schizophrenic yet surprisingly tasteful melodies and all the beeps and whirs that characterize chiptune music.

But unlike run-of-the-mill chiptune, “Codex” is heavily dance-oriented and suffused with steady drums and snares. Remarkably, Frostbyte keeps the record easily danceable while maintaining a very high degree of technicality. At many moments throughout the album, there are easily over three different channels of intricate and infectious melodies playing simultaneously. Independently, they are impressive in their own right, but together, the result is a fantastic orgy of bouncy hooks. The track “You (Don’t Tell Me) is a prime example of this sonic interweaving. Frostbyte keeps his formula effective with clever songwriting, giving each song a different personality. “DRIFTER VIP” is the groovy one, “Rise From The Ashes” is the hopeless final boss fight, and “You (Don’t Tell Me)” is the cute one. My only gripe with this album is the production. While it’s fitting overall, there are moments where I found myself straining to hear certain melodies that were meant to be in the limelight. Some songs are louder than others, and some sections of several songs are abnormally soft. It’s only a minor annoyance, and it doesn't detract very much from the album.

Overall, “Codex” showcases Frostbyte’s affinity with melody, but it is sadly under-appreciated simply because not many people are aware of its existence. “Codex” is spectacular, but it is no magnum opus; if anything, it highlights Frostbyte’s potential to create one in the future, in a flashy, trippy, and outright entertaining way.

Standout tracks:

Sam Smith NirvanaAnalog Rebellion Ill'e Grande
The Fray HeliosPharrell G I R L
Stand Up Get Down We Have Something To CelebrateIssues Issues

March 11th 2013

I had tons of fun writing this, so it's probably not the best review

but seriously, pick up a copy of this from mp3crank or his bandcamp
this is a great electronica album

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

NocteDominum
March 11th 2013

and more hooks than a fishing tackle,

Re-word this, try again or something. "fishing tackle" sounds really off. Maybe add 'box' or something.

Other than that this looks like a nice, short and to the point review. I'll pos.

changed it, thanks man
I was struggling so hard to find a way to express the amount of hooks

robschuldiner1

Nice Rev ... pos'd gonna check this

March 11th 2013

thanks! it might be hard to get into at first

VheissuCrisis
March 11th 2013

Nice succinct review. I generally prefer longer reviews than this, but you do a decent job. Pos.

haha ty
I'm moving into shorter, more concise writing

it's actually tougher to write well this way, but it's more fun and apparently less of a chore to read too

March 11th 2013

"I had tons of fun writing this"

well i had fun reading it. nice little review, pos'd.

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

cheers dude

ILJ
March 11th 2013

"and more hooks than Wal-Mart's fishing section,"

Loved this description.

free improv c:

thelastsignal
March 12th 2013

Awesome review, pos'd. Love the length, and it sounds like a fun listen. Will check out.

March 12th 2013