Immolation
Here in After

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
March 10th, 2013 | 56 replies | 1,676 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is a soul that doesn’t need saving.

A younger band saw the release of an ambitious and daring death metal debut that helped found a scene and deviate from the norm, yet in five years, no-one could have anticipated the aesthetic make-over present on Immolation’s sophomore record: Here In After. Upping the ante, the band took the unique song-writing techniques, Robert Vigna’s signature style of atonal and technically chaotic riffing, Smilowski’s frantic drumming and threw caution to the wind--redefining the band’s sound and creating the blueprints for its reverent future.

Here In After presents a much different sound compared to its predecessor, Dawn of Possession. Whilst the latter is unique, compared to Here In After, it stands as a much more accessible death metal affair. ‘Nailed to Gold’ bores straight into the unrelenting density of the album, with incomprehensible drum patterns and Vigna’s tense, complex chord progressions paving the way. While Vigna’s brand of technicality wasn’t in the same vein as fellow technical death metal fret board philanderers in the scene, his off-kilter riffing was key to development in the experimental death metal circuit, Immolation’s obvious influence being reflected in bands like innovative metal wizards Gorguts. The album builds off of Dawn of Possession’s almost-progressive song structures and delivers crushing tempo shifts and demented time signatures, all displayed between flurries of harmonic guitar solos and flourishing drum fills.

At times the band delivers dark grooves, with Smilowski’s drumming pacing sickening beats that gorge on the syncopated rhythm of the dueling guitars. Unlike the debut, this album’s production feels much tighter and whole. All the aspects of the music meld together to deliver an almost-perfect experience, vocalist’s Ross Dolan’s distinctive growls falling in rhythm with the instrumentals, rather than feeling like a separated element. The best example of the music being harmoniously inharmonious is on the track ‘I Feel Nothing’: the drumming breaks into one of Smilowski’s evil grooves, Vigna’s tremolo picking sets a brooding scene and Dolan dishes out his deliciously dark lyrical smorgasbord of blasphemy, “In the name of the Father/in the name of the Son/where is the Holy Spirit?/I feel nothing/as I stare upon the crucifix/I feel nothing for a God I never knew/I refuse to embrace and live by his word.”

Like on Dawn of Possession, Dolan’s bass isn’t entirely noticeable, leaving his (quite talented) bass skills overlooked, but with the competition of Vigna and rhythm guitarist Thomas Wilkinson’s unmatched confliction of discordant riffing, this doesn’t find itself being a problem. Setting a new bar for death metal, and for Immolation; marking the true beginning of the band’s evolution of style, Here In After saw the band crafting their own place among death metal legends.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
4.2
Dethtrasher (4)

March 10th 2013

My second review for Immolation's discography. Again, I hope I do the album justice. I'm trying to make each review unique, so I'm gonna switch up writing techniques with the next few reviews.

Also, 'Christ's Cage' is my vote for best dm song of all time

best album

m/

m/

shepaintedfire
March 10th 2013

incredible album, nice review as well

overall nice solid review, Pos'd

prolly second best immo

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

cagedescending
March 10th 2013

golden review, you really nailed it

Insurrection

20623 Comments

Whilst the latter is a unique, compared to Here In After, it stands as a much more accessible death metal affair.

Should take that 'a' out.

Probs third best immo for me.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Shuyin
March 10th 2013

not my fav immo but still a fucking awesome album, i love how consistent these guys are

good review too

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

cagedescending
March 10th 2013

i thought that dude's name was Robert Vagina for a sec

had to double-take

HenchmanOfSanta
March 10th 2013

I think this just ever-so-slightly edges out CtaWB for best Immolation release.

Hawks
March 10th 2013

This is amazing, but I'd put Close to a World Below, Majesty and Decay, and Unholy Cult all in front of it. Small margin between all of them though.

paxman
March 10th 2013

Great review snoxall, though it seems like there
needs to be something in between the bass criticism
and the closing statement, even if it's just a
paragraph break.

March 10th 2013

the conclusion paragraph was too short and I was tired and couldn't think of anything else to include, so I merged those two bits together. I'll fix it up later when I think of a solution.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Failures For Gods has some of Immolation's best songs, though

pissbore

DoP >

March 11th 2013

I like them both equally

AdolfChrist
March 11th 2013

this needed another review, dethtrashers reviews were terribad.

Hyperion1001