London Grammar
Metal & Dust

by StolenIdentity USER (1 Reviews)
March 7th, 2013 | 7 replies | 1,812 views

Release Date: 02/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We argue, we don't fight

I can still recall with startling clarity the first time my ears were treated to the soulful sounds of up and coming electro-pop trio, London Grammar. It was on a long and tiresome midnight drive home from work when debut single 'Hey Now' began playing over the radio and the incredibly powerful, haunting voice of Hannah Reid roused me from thoughts of sleep, commanding my undivided attention. In that instant, I knew, that in the minutes that ensued I would be treated to something very special.

Following the enormous success and attention generated by the lead single, newfound fans soon turned to wondering what would come next from the band, and more importantly, if it could actually live up to the potential that 'Hey Now' displayed. Luckily, we didn't have to wait long to find out.

The band have now dropped their debut EP, 'Metal & Dust' and although it may not be the full length that fans were hoping for, it more than makes up for it in sheer quality. It appears that the trio are well aware that their biggest strength lies in Hannah's vocal talent and as a result, it has been intelligently utilised to its full potential by combining it with excellent songwriting and impeccable production. Each of the three tracks - whilst individual and unique in their own right - follow a fairly similar formula of sparse chords and atmospheric keys, with Hannah's vocals soaring and echoing over the top, grabbing at your attention and refusing to let go until you've heard every word she has to say. Which is fine, because frankly, I could listen to her all day long.

If You Wait

StolenIdentity
March 7th 2013

Been hanging around this site for a couple of years. First review. Don't care if no one reads it. Just really loving this band.

fromtheinside

i like the album name.

who do they sound like

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

StolenIdentity

Umm, no idea. Haha. Not generally my style of music :/

I saw a reference to massive attack somewhere...

chambered99

inyeresting good reveiw

someguest
August 28th 2013

Their material is pretty good. We'll see how a full length turns out for them.

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

sidjmt
September 6th 2013

> i like the album name.
> who do they sound like

Vocals remind me a lot of Florence Welch. Music is more like their 2nd album, but less theatric.

DaveyBoy
October 30th 2013

20807 Comments

Delivering on the hype, English trio London Grammar release a tremendous debut EP in 'Metal & Dust'. Consisting of 3 down-tempo tunes & 1 remix, the sparse instrumentation is masterfully restrained, with electronics organically integrating with guitar flourishes. Importantly, tunes build up engagingly, allowing the focus to be on the elegant, haunting & spine-tingling vocals of Hannah Reid. With a versatile range that is as adept at tackling lows as it is highs, Reid is a star in the making. The influences (The xx & Massive Attack) are apparent, but this mesmerizing taste test only builds more hype for a debut LP. Recommended Tracks: Metal & Dust and Hey Now.