The Reverend Horton Heat
Smoke 'em If You Got 'em

by Mike C USER (16 Reviews)
March 6th, 2013 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's a Psychobilly Freakout!

Reverend Horton Heat is a widely revered yet generally unknown “Pyschobilly” trio hailing from the depths of Dallas, Texas, who bring an interesting, unique twist of styles and influences to create a genre all of their own. Spanning equal parts influence of early rockabilly chickin’ pickin’ reminiscent of old school greats, and one of the original guitar heroes, Gary Moore to the aggressive, 70’s attitude tinged Punk Rock, Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em is a trip unlike anything before it that rarely fails to be at the very least an intriguing listen.

This is clearly the Reverend’s show as his break-neck fretwork is the centerpiece of the entirety of the album’s originally cohesive arrangement. Nowhere on Smoke 'Em if you got 'Em is the aforementioned more apparent than on the impressive “Guitar Hero” video game hit, “Psychobilly Freakout,” where the Reverend rips through country licks with more than a hint of metal influence that would only be slightly out of place on a Necrophagist record. The track is one of the least vocal oriented and most impressive with seldom bits of enthusiastic lyrical chimes of “we’re off and we’re off!” and “it’s a Psychobilly Freakout!” The albums closing number “Love Whip” is deserving of mention as it closes the album with a satisfying resolution almost akin to that of a Quentin Tarantino film and contains some of the tastiest guitar playing throughout the entire record.

With that said, the Reverend shows very little bias and apprehension in hiding his heavy metal roots and influences as half the tracks feature dark, brooding up-tempo chord progression with lyrics spanning from coping with personal insanity on “It’s a Dark Day,” to indulging in the sticky green pasta on the infectious, toe tapping, apply named, “Marijuana.” The lyrics as well as their subject matter are light hearted enough to not detract from entertainment of the overall experience but do very little to elevate the music to anything other than a homage to the golden ages of rockabilly guitar focused Rock N’ Roll with an interesting kick.

Reverend Horton Heat is at their most appalling during the albums darkest and instrumental instances and their weakest during their predictable, uninspired country standards. Nevertheless, The Reverend’s guitar virtuosity is a wonder to behold and virtually essential listening for those seeking an original spin on a genre that has been around far longer than this reviewer.

Animals As Leaders The Joy of MotionBehemoth The Satanist
Zappa Plays Zappa Zappa Plays ZappaSteely Dan Countdown To Ecstasy
Steven Wilson The Raven That Refused to SingBuckethead Shadows Between The Sky

March 6th 2013

This one came out a little short cause I have to go to class here real soon. Album is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

19756 Comments

"reminiscent of old school great"

should be greats ;)

nice review man i've enjoyed your reviews lately..the razor one...the last one and now this!

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

March 6th 2013

Thanks for reading and the correction buddy!

I'm trying to fill some of the re-viewless gaps on this site. School and my personal recordings take up a majority of my
time but I do love writing every once and a while (:

March 6th 2013

This album was so popular when I was a kid.

"sticky green pasta"
Do people call it sticky green pasta?

it's a Quasimoto reference lol

March 6th 2013

Ah hence your avatar... yah I wouldn't have known that. ;-)

19756 Comments

no problem mike. gonna check this now i think think i've heard a song or 2 but that's it

March 6th 2013

Sweet dude, it's a really cool mix of styles. The guy puts on a killer live show from what I can tell by videos online as well.

Hep Kat
March 6th 2013

i cant ever remember this band being seriously talked about on this site. they put on a great show, and i have several show flyers of theirs framed and hung in my room at my mom's house

March 6th 2013

If you've never heard them before check out Hillbilly Hellcats. Hopefully you can find them. I have one of their CDs (Rev it up Taz) stored away somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. There is of course Tiger Army as well but they tend to slip between genres.

album rools yea

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

March 6th 2013

I've never seen him but My friends saw him many times when I was a teenager.

guitar hero mems

March 6th 2013

dude that song was hard as fuck

March 6th 2013

yea but i could play it when i was high

March 6th 2013

but could you play it ACOUSTICALLY?!

Hep Kat

March 6th 2013

lol It's been so long since I've seen SP.

March 6th 2013

one of the truly great episodes for sure