Kutt Calhoun
Black Gold

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
March 5th, 2013 | 8 replies

Release Date: 02/26/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More of what you’d expect from Calhoun, except more concentrated.

After two preceding albums that both ran for over 70 minutes, Kansas City rapper Kutt Calhoun has trimmed the length down this time around on Black Gold to a more reasonable and condensed 60 minutes. While his past albums had more than enough songs on them, Calhoun’s recurring issue has always been that his tracks can sound far too similar. Black Gold manages to extinguish this issue by concentrating on fewer songs that are memorable, as opposed to an abundance of songs that are nearly identical.

The hooks are given a lot more care and attention than they have been on his past albums. Calhoun has had a habit of outdoing a song’s chorus in his verses to such a point that the choruses became nothing more than inferior annoyances, but on Black Gold, instances such as the infectious sung chorus of “Self Preservation” truly stick instantaneously, and the slight tweaks made to “See What Had Happened Was” keeps listeners attention as the song progresses.

The beats on Black Gold aren’t really much in the way of anything new. They cover the familiar areas of southern hip hop, underground, and even some g-funk here and there, but with Strange Music producer Seven being the only one at the reins of the production other than Monsta Muzik, the music here is much more focused and doesn’t suffer from too many cooks in the kitchen like his previous album Raw and Un-Kutt did.

Vocally, Calhoun is more solid and forceful in his delivery than he’s ever been. His flow has slick grooves, and he retains a confident cool in his character while remaining urgent and grabbing; never getting too aggressive, but just hostile enough to make his words have a sting and give a growl to his beats.

Calhoun is still the most tame artist on Tech N9ne’s Strange Music label, and even though featuring the most erratic artists signed to the label on Black Gold can lead to him being outshined on his own album in terms of energy and personality (especially by Tech N9ne himself on "I Been Dope"), Calhoun has made a strong hook-oriented hip hop album that has the appropriate amount of bangers and cruisers.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
3.2
good

Texas tea

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

March 5th 2013

I haven't reviewed a hip hop album in a little while, so I didn't want to miss the chance. Too many hip hop albums get delayed.

Digging: Molly Drake - Molly Drake

March 5th 2013

Also, looks like something went wrong with the album artwork when I made the album page. I'm pretty sure it was a .jpg, I'll fix it later.

taylormemer
March 5th 2013

I'll fix it now for you.

March 5th 2013

Thanks Jake, much obliged.

March 6th 2013

He's a rapper on Tech N9ne's label, and the tracks are about your typical stuff. Bitches and snitches, that sort of thing.

metalent
March 7th 2013

I really dig this album. Only started listening to Kutt since "Red-headed Stepchild." I found this album to be a new favorite of mine.

Tupik