Prurient
Through the Window

by Angel STAFF
March 5th, 2013 | 69 replies | 5,945 views

Release Date: 02/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The world is your club, but no one ever seems to come.

Perhaps one of the most prominent and prolific noise artists, Dominick Fernow is involved in numerous projects spanning multiple genres. And while his most high-profile gig may be helming the synths for Cold Cave, Fernow is best associated with the Prurient moniker. Having been around now for a good decade and a half, Prurient alone has covered a lot of ground within various forms of noise, ambient, and power electronics. 2011’s noteworthy Bermuda Drain saw the project make a push toward electro-industrial and darkwave while still maintaining some of the more abrasive elements to which Fernow fans have come to expect.

Recorded in the same sessions as Bermuda Drain, Through the Window makes a lot of sense in terms of progression, sharing even more in common with the simply hypnotic beats of Dominick’s own Vatican Shadow alias. And while they may not have been recorded before his move from New York to Los Angeles, the state of mind captured within the three tracks certainly hint toward the vast desert metropolis. The Prurient camp describes the album as “juxtaposing the conceptual and real life realms that power electronics can represent with the artificial environments of the dance floor and the club. A hall of mirrors, sycophants, fair-weather friends and social vampires." These types of statements don’t come any more concise or self-aware.

At its core, Through the Window is (mostly) danceable music for the antisocial. Slick, polished beats reverberate through the speakers with an underlying paranoia, insecurity. Over the monotonously thumping bass, subtle background textures slide in and out, slowly shaping and evolving the landscape. Rapid synth sequences give way to industrial pulsing and eventually grating noise before closing the whole thing down with the exceptional “You Show Great Spirit.” Dark and entrancing, the track somehow broods at an upbeat tempo: Part rave anthem, part digital meditation. The record sees Dominick showcasing a lot of influence from the past, as sounds of early ‘90s nightlife and seedy parties are forced through a cynical 21st century filter. EBM, electro-industrial, and early European techno are all lovingly revisited, but he manages to make the album feel as modern as it does retro-homage.

Mr. Fernow hasn’t reinvented the wheel, but he has delivered the soundtrack for a moody, midnight drive to nowhere – music for head-bobbing and soul-searching. While the next step for the project remains anyone’s guess, Through the Window distinguishes itself as a welcomed change of pace for the artist and a standout addition to the extensive Prurient catalog. Just don’t be surprised if the next release is hours of harsh noise or power electronics.

Chelsea Wolfe Pain Is BeautyMuknal / The Haunting Presence Split
Storm Corrosion Storm CorrosionRudimentary Peni Cacophony
Noothgrush Erode the PersonLycus Demo MMXI

March 4th 2013

Can't believe this is the first Prurient review on this site.

Feel free to neg away. Oh, wait...

Hyperion1001

NEG

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

March 4th 2013

nice review there mr. staff

chambered99
March 4th 2013

why don't you put album names in italics? its annoying when you dont and you have to appease me or i will kill you

Digging: Baton Rouge - Totem

Rev
March 4th 2013

shit yeah an angel review

album rules

March 4th 2013

Thanks for reminding me, Samwise. Forgot to do it when I copypasta'ed.

chambered99

:P

Xenophanes

"Trending metal albums"

I could be wrong but from this review this sounds nothing like metal I hate that new feature.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

YankeeDudel

cool

Digging: DJ Spooky - Songs Of A Dead Dreamer

March 4th 2013

Yeah, this is a good bit like the new Soilwork.

MisterTornado
March 5th 2013

ah yes, this needed a review

Xenophanes
March 5th 2013

Review was awesome by the way. Never heard of this guy before but that shouldn't be surprising in the least.

March 5th 2013

Thanks. This is probably the most accessible thing he's done under the Prurient name, so I'd say it's a good place to start. Especially if you're not too into noise and the like.

fish.
March 5th 2013

I hate that new feature.

"trending other albums"

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

Graveyard
March 5th 2013

Yea, it's apparent that Vatican Shadow had an influence on the overall sound on this. It's a nice variation though, since Dominick usually deals with noize/industrial/power electronics type of stuff.

A fruitful pos'd.

tomr4
March 5th 2013

sounds like a slightly more industrial vatican shadow record...not bad, but definitely not as harsh as I was hoping for.

good review, though.

NocteDominum
March 5th 2013

I love me an Angel review. This sounds like some elitish stuff tho

scissorlocked
March 5th 2013

shouldn't this one be in the "other" and not the "metal" section?

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

Havey
March 5th 2013

2011’s noteworthy Bermuda Drain saw the project make a push toward electro-industial

industrial*

good review tho, prurient is great but not my fav Fernow project

Digging: Cecil Taylor - Dark to Themselves

Mookid
March 5th 2013

This guy can make some truly bizarre music indeed. I thought 'Inscense and Rubber' was his best track he's ever made, though