Blink-182
Enema of the State

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
March 4th, 2013 | 213 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Blink-182's third studio album is ridden with quality and catchy material and one very dark song that stands out.

To make an album charged with adolescent fury and yet be incredibly catchy is an idea that has been tried and accomplished numerous times. Nirvana are one example of a band that can seamlessly integrate rage at the world around them with soaring choruses such as in Smells Like Teen Spirit. Blink-182 are not the first band that would come to mind when one thinks of this idea but on Enema Of The State they found a great balance between the two. The band are a pop-punk band best known for the hit single All The Small Things off of this album but have proven time and time again that they are not just a one trick pony. Enema Of The State is their third studio album and is frequently considered to be one of their best.

Everything about the album screams adolescence and the rebellion that often goes hand in hand with it. From the seductive image of a woman in a nurses outfit with cleavage visible on the cover to song titles like Mutt and Dysentery Gary one knows what to expect from the release. This thirty five minute piece of work from the three members of the band is not exactly going to rewrite the rules of pop punk music but is a fun ride. The guitar work makes the best use it possibly can of three or four chord riffs and sounds powerful and lays down a wall of sound. The drumming is somewhat chaotic with a lot of cymbal crashes to add a lot to the overall furious and fast sound the band were aiming to attain on Enema Of The State. The bass is consistently audible on every song even during the louder moments, thumping along at the forefront of the sound to give a groovy tone to the album.

The vocals are handled by Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge who were also the song writers for this album with Hoppus contributing the majority of them. The vocal style the duo takes for many of the songs is loud and brash with a semi-shout to them, and yet they still carry the youthful whine speaking out to a generation. Tom's vocals are sneering and the whinier of the two with a less restrained style to them, meaning he can spit his profanity ridden lyrics out as frantically as possible. The choruses to Dumpweed and Dysentery Gary are two prime examples with a lot of speedily delivered lines. His songs are often considerably more immature lyrically with a lot of F-words used and break-up obsessed lyrics. He belts out his lines with a lot of passion and anger behind them and it really works well for the sound of the band. Meanwhile Mark has a lower tone to his voice and writes much more serious songs such as the infamous Adam's Song.

This song was about one of their fans who committed suicide. It opens up with a nice atmosphere-building clean guitar and when the vocals come in the song really comes into its own. The lyrics border on tear-jerker material with lines such as "i'm too depressed to go on, you'll be sorry when I'm gone" before the clean guitar comes back in. This song is one that has a lot of impact on the human emotions both due to the lyrical content and the uncharacteristic mature look Blink-182 takes for this song. This is not a song with any light or nice undertones and is the centerpiece of the album. It has a lot of atmospheric feel to it and the lyrics are so bleak and have a feeling of genuine emotion to them. "Please tell mom this is not her fault" Mark declares before the chorus comes back in, and the listener feels themselves really gravitating towards this song. If there is one song off of Enema Of The State that comes highly recommended then it is Adam's Song.

One of the songs that is most often hated on off of this album is All The Small Things. This is a very pop-sounding song with its simplistic and repetitive palm-muted verse riff to it and the annoying accent to the vocals. However this song has a superb chorus to it with a lot of oomph and impact with the energy behind it. The real substandard song off of Enema Of The State that drags it down is Aliens Exist. This song starts off great with a cool piece of drumming and some really hilarious drumming but it pushes on and on and never really goes anywhere fun or interesting. This song just feels as though the band just went through the motions and made another obligatory catchy number, with the refrain of "i'm not like you guys" repeated before a brief riff that sounds clean out of a Nirvana song. Mutt is a song that has some rather undesirable lyrical matter about just having casual sex that feels so immature when it is found among more serious numbers like Adam's Song.

Enema Of The State is an album that makes a good case for itself as the best Blink-182 album. In dropping the rougher edge of Dude Ranch and gearing toward an even more catchy sound, the band put together a thirty five minute home stretch that rarely lets up in the enjoyment it gives. Adam's Song and Dumpweed are my picks for the best here with the former having the aforementioned dark sound to it and Dumpweed carries itself forward with perhaps the finest chorus on the album. Enema Of The State is an album that succeeds at what it aims to do and for that comes highly recommended.

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis

ridden with quality

Digging: Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Pinata

BigHans
March 4th 2013

This was my jam back in 1999.

19926 Comments

christ this got 6 negs in less than a minute.

abum rulez

Digging: Transit - Joyride

19926 Comments

not sure who that is really to be honest but i would just ignore him and spend a little less time in the medthreads lol

tmagistrelli
March 4th 2013

why is this getting thrashed? not an amazing review, but it's not 1 out of 10.

album is awesome, i've been jamming the eponymous album for weeks though!

BigHans

I Pos'd.

Dont Leave Me and Whats My Age Again are my main jams off this

19926 Comments

yeah i'll pos too. This guy is a bro ^ prolly the best taste on sputnik

March 4th 2013

Goddamn so many negs already.

March 4th 2013

"its mainly ILJAJLM/az (theyre the same person)."

Dude, I don't have alts. I just told you this. And we aren't the same person. I just do my thing, that's all.

19926 Comments

ILJAJLM quit being such a tool if you don't like skeletor just don't read his reviews.

March 4th 2013

What the fuck, I haven't done anything.

March 4th 2013

I actually just posed this if you must know because it's a good review.

19926 Comments

lol skeletor told me you've been negging him with your other account and all your alts.

insomniac15
March 4th 2013

Oh how I miss the high school days when I used to listen to a lot of pop punk. Their records along with Green Day and a couple more bands were the soundtrack of my early high school years.

Good review, however, you shouldn't start a new paragraph continuing an idea from the previous one (4th paragraph - Adam's Song)

Digging: The Ting Tings - Super Critical

March 4th 2013

I know what he told you but I have no alts and I negged some of his earlier reviews because they weren't good. I'm not az either.

19926 Comments

my bad lol. i don't know what to believe on this site anymore

Shuyin
March 4th 2013

lmao your reviews are poorly written and 90% of the site cant even stand you so stop your whining about negs and suck it up

Digging: Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST Vol 1

ZackSh33
March 4th 2013

This is a solid review. There are some minor issues with wording/phrasing, but overall, it's good. Sorry about the negs--I hate when that happens on this site.

Been listening to a lot of blink recently for some reason, and this is a great album, but I still like their self-titled better overall.

fish.

22014 Comments

You're not a bad writer but a lot of your writing reads awkwardly and doesn't flow very well. I guess
the only way you could improve that would be by reading your reviews back to yourself and editing.

March 4th 2013

"az claimed to be your alt and meds confirmed he was an alt. meds didnt say he was your alt but he said hes an alt. what the fuck am i supposed to think?"

Man I promise I am not alt negging you.