Elvis Depressedly
Hotter Sadness

by fromtheinside USER (128 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2013 | 30 replies | 1,927 views

Review Summary: "judgement's curse will visit soon, to show how time reveals all wounds, and knows what will become of you"

Oh boy how big I want this to be. You want this album. That’s all I can say; no nausea by hyperbole necessary. I’ve taken days searching for ways to explain what Elvis Depressedly are able to create within their third outing in twelve months, Hotter Sadness, ensuring it’d carry the same authenticity as its source. It’s raw. However, that simple word does not do enough justice conveying its importance when factoring the bands keen ability to deliver such a remarkable, albeit subtle, impact. Depressedly often take the focus off of life’s more struggling questions to magnify the simpler/finer (essentially the lesser noticed) things offered. The insect infested house that’s repeatedly touched upon but never fully acknowledged. The nursery rhymes strung along on the opener, “Mcdade”. The misery hidden in alcohol that seems to weigh the whole effort down. This is an introspective look at oneself without describing the worst details, Matthew Lee Cothran’s lyrics are indicative of that, his cries of being awake too long in this world, “Bodil”, and the admission of having no friends, just mysteries, “Visiting Angels” are the kind of vague statements given by a man balancing a hefty plate, and provide a hazy link between the somber first half of the disc and the more awakened second side. Yet this direct look at the lyrics alone would be unfair to its musical counterpart that more than makes up for a lot of the records tangential moments.

Describing the music that so easily and comfortable saturates the scene requires a whole different page in vocabulary. “Visiting Angels” comes to mind displaying a perfect sense of lo-fi melody underneath gorgeous vocal effects that acts as a sturdy second instrument alongside the relentless strumming; while the title track has a knack for cheesy synth to bounce against the depressing topic at hand providing a joyous boost to the otherwise deflated atmosphere. To avoid beating a dead horse, it’s important to note how slyly Elvis Depressedly embodies their idols. Present here is firm The National worship weaved within lush lo-fi that in turn reaps astronomical rewards for the band, furthermore they impress upon us what it is we love about bands like The National. Hotter Sadness displays a humble approach by band vying for any form of uniqueness shone brightest on “I Bought A Gun”, in which Elvis Depressedly toy with the veil they hide behind, and act as if the whole world is watching as they try to throw together a song. And it all works so magnificently well.

You see, most of the time the band is trying to stuff as much emotion into a single track as possible, and seeing as how they average ninety seconds in length this accomplishment becomes a marvel to behold. The evolution from “Mcdade” to closer “I Can’t Wait For You To Die” shines light to the fact that Elvis Depressedly are a natural embodiment of music. Even the song titles/lyrics suggest some sort of growth as they drag from a hopeful loving man to one who can’t for you to die. They stumble along like the ever present drums and manage to just barely contort a song out of the mixture time and again. This template is one that’s not immediately recognizable. I’ll admit it took me listening to a post-metal album and taking a two day sabbatical from Hotter Sadness to grasp how the album lives by the tiniest thread, but the answer is as simple as every other aspect with Hotter Sadness. They’re development of space within each song is important as it gives us room to fit ourselves inside and form a connection at a deeper than surface level.

Upon first listening to Hotter Sadness I wanted to review it, to comment on its subdued nature that lulls you into a world where things can matter and not matter all in the same. But that would have robbed me of actually visiting said world. There’s a lot to be explored though as Elvis Depressedly masterfully blend nuances that flow freely from one ear and out the other with no realization to the matter. This is Hotter Sadness’ strongest quality. An ability to shed light on the moments in life that are less defined then others. With these virtues Elvis Depressedly are able to deliver an album that sounds wrecked and devoid of substance on the surface, but this is the blueprint for an intricate foundation to lay afoot, one that wears its history with a swollen pride remembering those broken and empty times and trying to “forgive, forget, fuck it, fuck everyone”.