Orwell
AVOHFASIH

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
March 1st, 2013 | 51 replies | 1,351 views

Orwell is a progressive death metal band with melancholic, as well as melodic, tendencies; hailing from La Crosse, Wisconsin. Since their formation in 2004 they’ve released two ep’s and two lp’s. Avohfasih, being their most recent ep release in 2011 shows a very matured Orwell utilizing all their past writing experiences while taking advantage of a more subtle smooth approach. Avohfasih is more of a smooth death metal style rather than an aggressive one. Yes, they can be quite heavy and intense at times but their music here focuses on transitions that are flush and sometimes peaceful and serene like the slow building tremolo techniques in the opening “From Depths I Rise”. In fact, this same track bestows beauteous female vocals during the rising passage, leading into a savory melodic lead line from guitarist Erik; not to mention, the track even drops back down once again after the rise showcasing the ep’s production style which has full audible bass throughout from William Stickland.

Unlike many melodic progressive bands whose albums demonstrate a monotonous feel of repetitive riffing styles, Orwell draws influences from several different styles and sparingly saves melodic-harmonizing sections for moments that truly warrant them. A good example is the opening to “In Dust I Stand” where the tracks starts off with a trance-like, simple, alternating note that serves as a backdrop to harmonizing intervals that slowly creep their way into the formula. After a steady build, we are introduced into a well-fitting barrage of alternating melancholic-melodic precepts. Orwell doesn’t aim to be flashy or even try to create music that is beyond what’s been done before. They mainly just focus on writing solid music even if it may feel rehashed at times. When listening to Avohfasih you may at times say I’ve heard that before but in reality if that passage fits perfectly why use anything else? Orwell’s well thought out use of contrasting extremes of mellow clean sections compared to the distorted filled atmospheres is what gives them their unique feel. Although these high to low transitions are quite common in the progressive metal field, there is still something that just feels pure about what they’re doing which is hard to describe unless you’re actually listening to the album.

The vocals here are quite interesting for this field of musicality because usually bands will favor a deep-guttural low toned vocal style but Orwell’s Logan Hauser is more often viewed as a harcore/metalcore type of vocalist which is where those tags may have sprung up. His mid-range approach, although different than the norm, still fits the music very well. I can’t think of any instance where I felt deterred. In the opening track, “In Tides I wake”, Logan really pushes the extended guitar-chord structures very well before a tasty tremolo/alternate-picked solo ramps in. So if anyone is deterred by that tag be assured it only occurs in the vocals, not the music. And you may be surprised to find out how well that vocal style can be represented in the vein of progressive death metal. Although an ep, Avohfasih is quite a lengthy release clocking in at 43 minutes. Whenever an ep feels like an ‘lp’ it’s reassuring to know how much effort and time artist put into their work and Orwell has done a great job here. If they continue down this path their upcoming lp will be a fantastic release worthy of their past fans attention.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Odyssey (USA) An Abstract ExistenceAtomic Simao Nodo

March 1st 2013

name your price/free download/full stream:

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

March 1st 2013

nice to see you reviewing again, pos'd.

i haven't even had a chance to read your last review yet lol

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

March 1st 2013

haha no worries, I'm sure we're all behind with many things. I know I am.

thanks for droppin bro

March 1st 2013

jam it pras, you can access bandcamp too right?

Metalstyles
March 1st 2013

This does sound really cool, but alas, I'm not sure I'll have the time to check this out :/. I do want to compliment you on a well written review, though, so have a well-deserved pos.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

March 1st 2013

hey thanks buddy, I appreciate it!

bummer, you must be a pretty busy person. If I'm not mistaken I believe you're in college too. Anyways, regardless, I'm sure you're taking care of priorities so kudos to you.

Shuyin
March 1st 2013

sweet review, sounds like something id enjoy

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

sup Shu nice review pos

Shuyin
March 1st 2013

sup dude, i was just about to leave.

im downloading the album from bandcamp now, gonna jam when i get back home m/

March 1st 2013

right on, we'll have to continue our conversation later, cheers tho

In Dust, I Stand is a pretty cool track

tragic.details
March 1st 2013

Sounds cool, I'll check it.
Also, great review. Pos'd.

JamieTwort

Gotta check this.

Will read the review later but I'm sure it's great so I'll pos now.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

March 1st 2013

@ Shu - thanks bro, knowing your taste I think you'd definitely dig this at least

@ Seed - cheers, thanks man

@ Melons - I hope you dig bro, thanks for the pos

March 1st 2013

@ JT - haha thanks man, much appreciated, I hope you enjoy it when you read it :]

wacknizzle

11911 Comments

Good review Captain, this sounds interesting. I'll give it a listen later since it's on spotify.

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

SgtPepper
March 1st 2013

Sweet review, Captain. Will definitely check this out.

March 1st 2013

@ Wack - sweet bro thanks, I hope you dig it. I've never used spotify, I'll have to check it out sometime. I'm assuming its free with an app for i-phones too.

@ Paper - sup bro, thanks for stoppin' in. Yea you might dig this. I really couldn't see what's not to enjoy about this album other than maybe a few rehashed ideas. Thanks for the kind word pras.

MeatSalad
March 1st 2013

sounds cool, pos for the review bud

March 1st 2013

@ Meat - thanks bro, keep progin' hard. I know I got lots of catching up to do but thank goodness true prog never dies.

@ Pestiferous - oh I remember now. Yeah bandcamp and streaming sites are blocked at a lot of school/work locations including my own. I always use either my phone or home pc to visit the site.

Also, dam I feel left out without a movable gif avi. Maybe I can find one of this captain dude actively stabbing this voodoo child.