Atomic Simao
Nodo

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 26th, 2013 | 35 replies

Release Date: 01/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Psychedelic rock instinctively done right.

Is there really any one way to accomplish proper psychedelia? The term itself is so broad that it can be referred to as clanking pieces of glass or even a washing machine. But, in this case, we’re specifically talking about the vein of rock; one of the oldest genres of the 19th century. And yet, we have such an expanding variety; so how does one know what is good vs. that, which is not? Well, already being highly subjective in its roots, the goodness I’m speaking of is, are you being moved out of your comfort zone yet still feeling a sense of satisfaction at the end? Well I highly believe that Atomic Simao’s Nodo has all the workings of a classic, stone-cold effective release that both takes you places you haven’t been and still makes you feel right at home as if the occurrences contained here-in were meant to be, if that makes sense. Try to imagine an exotic island that’s never been explored before. You know you’ve never been there but you innately know how to pinpoint the beauty surrounding you. That natural sense of notability is exactly what Atomic Simao’s reciprocating as they go to great lengths trying to build on the foundation of mind to music connections that once flourished greatly in the 70’s. A foundation that is currently experiencing a revival period of various acts rising up, craving that feeling of euphoria through sound.

Atomic Simao are a fresh new psychedelic ‘space-rock’ band from Kiev/Ukraine, formed in 2012. With their first release Nodo, they, through sole instrumental techniques, take the listener through a spacious journey of colorful landscapes with delayed guitars, electronic discharges, and groovy bass-lines all backed up by a stellar drum performance that is constantly taking different forms and rhythmic avenues. In fact, the drumming of Sun is one the highlights on this album. His ability to show variability and breadth is quite soothing. Take for example the lengthiest track “Asteroid Masterpeace”, inching over 17 minutes. Sun utilizes a technical, yet effective drum-roll jazz technique that is both fun and zoning during the first few minutes which then switches to a mellow spacey minimalistic drum-vibe until the percussions completely fade out, leaving only the sounds of guitar/keyboard effects before jumping right back in with a fresh new groove. “Do What You Do” follows up the 17 minute excursion with Sun working the ride with pristine ability which serves as a perfect plate for guitarist Janovsky to lay out his full meal of soaring-melodious leads that seems to penetrate the psyche so effectively as if he’d found a hole leading directly to your endorphin storage house.

I appreciated the flow of Nodo very much. The opening “Voodoo Chillum” starts off rather unexpectedly. Rather than slowly building up like most psychedelic records this track jumps right in full force as if it were a death metal album. Some may find this to be a turn off but for the antsy person this abrupt beginning might be enjoyable. I personally didn’t mind it one bit. As this opener ends, the second track “Beauty Does Not Belong to Anything” serves as a bridge to the epic 17 minute follower in a mellow-like fashion. There’s just enough variation through each track where “Do What You Do” feels like a chugging train on a mission, whereas “Stoned and Spontanuis” feels like you’re in a subway watching the world around you pass by like you’re moving in slow motion but your surroundings are not. Then, almost seamlessly, you’re taken to a far away galaxy away from all civilization, floating in the entrenches of weightlessness. “Dancing Emptiness” is a great closer as it is mellow and holds true to Atomic Simao’s ‘space-rock’ tag. It’s the perfect closer as it quite nicely brings the whole album together. By this time, if listened to properly, Nodo should have you in a rather deep trance and this track just kind of lets you sway back and forth as if left buoyant on a calm, yet warm, sea of eternalness. Nodo is fantastic display of psychedelic rock done right and should be sure to please any fan of the genre whether new or old. With this freshman release being this good from Atomic Simao I can only imagine what they’ll accomplish in the near future.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

name your price/free download/stream:

ThrashHard

very solid review pos'd

CAPTAIN FOR CONTRIB

February 26th 2013

Fuck yes, this rules. One of my favourite 2013 albums so far.

Great review, pos'd.

20067 Comments

insta pos'd cause captain but yeah very nice review

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

February 26th 2013

hey guys, thanks for the support

thrash hard - thanks, this may not be thrash but it hits pretty hard

@jt - sweet, t'was a good find, def one of the best releases of 2013 so far in the rock department, glad you dig it bro

@ atari - thanks man, I appreciate it

20067 Comments

lol captain you must have forgot that i am in fact thrash hard

February 26th 2013

haha right on, I didn't wanna assume. I for some reason thought it was KJ for a moment, But yeah haha I remember now. Well thanks for the double pos bro, keep thrashin'

February 26th 2013

This and that Myriad ablum are my favourite bandcamp finds so far this year.

February 26th 2013

bro you should rev the new Myriad album, it could def use one

it's a fantastic/solid album indeed. I actually jammed it again last night too

20067 Comments

i'll check the stream in a bit

thelastsignal
February 26th 2013

Great write-up man, I don't have much experience in this genre but the review was really good. Pos'd, I may check this one out.

Digging: Achilles - Hospice

February 26th 2013

It never makes sense to begin a piece with the word 'True,' because there's nothing to agree with yet.

You have a couple of flowery instances like this, but otherwise the review's pretty solid.

February 26th 2013

Also, this sentence doesn't make much sense to me:

"The term itself is so broad that it can be pinpointed to clanking pieces of glass or even a washing machine."

Like, I get that the genre's broad, but how can it be 'pinpointed' to a washing machine? Are you saying its sound is similar to a washing machine?

February 26th 2013

@ thelastsignal - thank you very much. Even if you haven't experienced much from this genre I would highly encourage you check this out. It should be easy to absorb and the drums are top-notch so let that carry you and the music on top of it will just flow nicely. cheers

@ OS - thanks for the feedback and kind words bro

"because there's nothing to agree with yet"

that would be the summary

"Are you saying its sound is similar to a washing machine?"

keyword was 'can', which is not in the definitive sense

February 26th 2013

Even if it were referring to the summary, the word 'true' just feels strange in its current location. You could change it to something like "Is there really any way...", though, and it could work better. =]

And 'can' being there doesn't change the statement's incoherency... Nobody would hear a washing machine, and say, "Ah, proper psychadelia in its purest form." if you're arguing the genre is just incredibly broad, then there are ways to go about it that are much more realistic.

20067 Comments

i'm not gonna lie omaha makes some good points but still a really solid review bro.

February 26th 2013

I took your advice and change the opening sentence to "Is there really any one way"

Also, I changed pinpointed to referred. Hope that works better. I really appreciate your feedback. After looking at it with your recommendations it makes a lot more sense.

February 26th 2013

Sure thing, man. You're a good writer, and I'm glad to help in any way I can.

February 26th 2013

Thanks man. And oh hey, I forgot, congratulations on your promotion. You definitely deserve it. We need more good site users such as yourself.