Boil
aXiom

by Greg Fisher STAFF
February 24th, 2013 | 58 replies

Release Date: 02/19/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A gripping, if not entirely novel mesh-up of modern progressive metal and melodic rock.

The contemporary progressive metal scene is polluted with bands that display proficient musicianship, yet totally fail to deliver memorable songs. Rather than entirely relying on binary-code riffs that sunken many of their contemporaries, Denmark-based Boil skillfully juxtapose modern heaviness with powerful melodies. Even though their third album aXiom sounds instantly familiar most of the time, the material is composed with enough verve and resourcefulness to make a lasting impression on listeners who like their polyrhythmic modern metal mellowed out with alternative rock influences.

It's refreshing to hear how creatively the outfit merges plenty of styles while largely avoiding an obvious pitfall of sounding like a rip-off. The syncopated riffs are towering, but also used with prowess and restraint. Jacob Løbner enhances them with a blend of strong vocal harmonies and occasional screams. Despite not having a very original timbre, he tends to use his voice effectively in every vocal style he selects. “At the Center of Rage” stands as the record's most representative track with Fair To Midland-echoing verse building to a monumental chorus. Simultaneously, its intricate riffs mutate from relentlessly crushing to progressive rock-inclined. On the other hand, “Sever the Tie” expertly builds tension with its Tool-inclined rhythms that suddenly burst into an uplifting melody. The group also ventures into finessed balladry with aptly titled “Darkest” and “Almost a Legend” which builds its eerie atmosphere on a splendidly orchestrated cello motif.

Even though this diversity may be the record's selling point in the long run, it also expectedly disrupts the flow of the presentation at some points, making for a bunch of clear blunders. “Moth to the Flame” sounds rather uninspired incorporating plenty of pop-inclined melodies to tepid effect. “Vindication” is built around an enticing, industrialized groove, yet the song just lasts too long for its own good. Elsewhere, the blatant deathcore of “Sunbound” seems like a natural expansion of the act's peripheral influence on paper. In reality, it's the least cohesive track that additionally feels completely out of place in the record's more atmospheric latter half.

While Boil should take the credit for taking risks and stepping out of their comfort zone musically, the intriguing theme of one man's delusions the album is lyrically based on has not been properly fleshed-out. If implemented well, this concept could give the disc a decided edge, distinguishing it from a plethora of similar releases. Instead, aXiom is more defined by its equitable balance of progressive metal and alternative rock, delivered with top-notch musicianship and pristine production. In essence, this is still an extremely appealing album whose replay value is high.

Sparky HumanimationLo-Pan Colossus
Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings
So Slow DharaviMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun

February 24th 2013

The record is streaming at this location:

Standout tracks: At the Center of Rage, Saver the Tie, In a Blink of an Eye, Darkest, Heretic Martyr, Almost A Legend

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

Nice staff tag, son!

February 24th 2013

And dude, it seems we never like the same vocalists. This guy's voice does nothing for me =[

Calc
February 24th 2013

once again congrats, this sounds like something I'd enjoy too.

@Omaha:
He's not amazing, but definitely pulls off some melodies really well. You just need to listen to this LP more to notice that.

@Calc:
Thanks man. If you like the bands in the recommended section, you should dig it.

Irving

3.6?!?!?!?!?!!

This was not what you were promoted for man!*

* Congrats to you and Omaha =)

February 24th 2013

This review was technically (almost) written yesterday. So, it doesn't count.

Thanks a bunch man.

February 24th 2013

Thanks Irving! =] Nice to be in your ranks now!

scissorlocked

really good review man

Digging: Traumprinz - All The Things

pizzamachine
February 24th 2013

Kinda digging this album, I like the vocals too.

spot on rev

dude I dig this so far, jamming track two and I'm with Pizza, I dig the vocals. The overall feel comes off as being quite fresh which I really dig

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

February 24th 2013

some parts do get a little dull so I think your rating is accurate

BUT BRO DARKEST IS A SIK TRACK. THAT CLEAN OPENING AND FEEL IS THE BEST!!!

February 24th 2013

Thanks guys. I agree Captain. Darkest is really cool. My favorite track is At the Center of Rage. It's a perfect blend of their influences and it's goddamn catchy.

ProjectFreak
February 24th 2013

Listening to this now. Good work, liking what I'm hearing so far. Vocalist has some pipes.

Digging: From Indian Lakes - Absent Sounds

Apollo
February 24th 2013

I'm liking this a lot, great review too

Insurrection

Gonna give this a shot.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

NocteDominum
February 24th 2013

Just had to 3.6 it didnt you?

Nomos
February 24th 2013

Not even halfway into a random track from YouTube...and I'm really liking it. Vocals work for me and they've got a great sense of melody.

fromtheinside

i think i'll like this

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

February 24th 2013

Vocals needed some time to get used to for me, but now I'm really digging them. The highlights on this are strong as hell. That's the reason for a slight rating bump.