Rorcal
Vilagvege

by MysteriousNewUser USER (6 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2013 | 101 replies

Release Date: 02/28/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An interesting and enjoyable listen with some intense musicianship and great vocals and ambient sections that is let down by repetitive guitar work

The opening cymbal crashes and ambient background noises to Rorcal's 2013 album Vilagvege perfectly set the tone for the music to come. This is the third album by the band and moves into what could be considered darker waters for the band than their last two. The title means The End Of The World and this would be a fair idea of how the album actually sounds, with an apocalyptic atmosphere present and correct, and an undercurrent of foreboding throughout. The band are a sludge metal band with elements of post-hardcore music and even some doom metal influence scattered throughout their discography to add some more variety, and Vilagvege may well be the strongest of their three albums to date.

The air raid siren that cuts off the opening, instrumental-only song leads perfectly into the down-tuned, slow-paced madness that is to follow. This album shows how an atmosphere can be created through a minimalistic approach as right from the opening moments of the second track, the album already sounds dark and evil. The song builds up gradually, but sticks primarily to the use of a few power chords being played at frequent intervals with a relatively simplistic drum beat in the background and Yonni Chapatte roaring over the top of it all. The vocals are some of the best things about this album, being both intense and angry but they are completely unintelligible for the most part in ways that even Lord Worm could not comprehend. However as the lyrics deal with depression and suicide, the vocals actually fit the lyrics perfectly with the sound of someone in pain who has lost it all being channeled through Yonni's voice. This is not an album for the faint of heart and the vocals are a prime example of why.

The drumming on this album is also a highlight as the third song shows at around the 2:40 mark when the drummer Ron Lahyani just unleashes hell on his kit. Whilst some of the beats on this album are simplistic they also have a lot going on, with the occasional quick dose of the snare thrown in to keep the album feeling varied. This is definitely a reason to check this album out as the drummer is among the best out there today. Some of the monster drum fills that can be found throughout this album are some of the finest in existence and it becomes something to be in awe at when he unleashes one of these fills. The blast beats are intense and the slower beats are varied and enjoyable to listen to. It is a shame that the same can not be said of the guitar work which merely dives between a few power chords used sparingly and tremolo picked lines that are almost indistinguishable due to the poor production job. For a few songs this may be more than tolerable and actually enjoyable but after listening to thirty to forty minutes of this mindless nonsense on the guitar side, one would expect something a little different to shake things up a bit. Sadly this is not the case and the guitar work is flat out boring for the most part.

This is an album that is all about the dark, murky atmosphere it creates and the way it draws up a picture of some of the most dark and horrific feelings a human being can have both toward himself and his peers in society. It really succeeds on numerous fronts such as the atmosphere, vocal performance and the drumming but unfortunately the guitar work feels lazy and too restrained aside from some moments which do admittedly leap out. However it is still a fantastic album containing a few surprises such as the ambient sections that open up the album and at the end of the forth track which really are beautifully implemented into it to add more to the atmosphere. Were they a little more refined, these songs could become classics of their genre but unfortunately it feels as though they are holding something back.

Suffocation Effigy of the ForgottenCryptopsy None So Live
brokeNCYDE I'm Not a Fan, but the Kids Like It!Whitechapel Whitechapel
Overkill Ironbound
Ryan Kroner (4.5)
The soundtrack to a world razed and set aflame....

February 22nd 2013

way to not let the album sink in, skele. It's been streaming for like two days, this is an album you need to give a lot of time.

CrimsonLies

2044 Comments

Agreed, album needs time

Calc
February 22nd 2013

when sputnik is your entire life you're able to do things differently.

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

February 22nd 2013

guys I jammed a Rorcal album twice I think I've got it down pat 4/5 gonna write a review I know it enough

February 22nd 2013

For Christ's sake hush Snox, we get it, you like these guys

Digging: Beach Slang - Cheap Thrills On A Dead End Street

February 22nd 2013

I never mentioned anything about me liking this band. Stop jumping on the Snoxall hatetrain and start hating on skele instead.

February 22nd 2013

I don't care the difference in length from when a stream is released to when a review is written, as long as it is well-written. Granted, this is not a particularly good review, but that is not because of how long he listened to it and more that he is terrible as a writer.

For the record, I have hated you for longer than most of these idiots

February 22nd 2013

No, skele can actually write good reviews when he knows what he's talking about. But the problem here is that he doesn't know what he's talking about and has a lack of understanding of the music because he really hasn't given it much time at all.

February 22nd 2013

Also, glad to know you hate me, I didn't know who you were until like two weeks ago when I saw Morgan the White everywhere.

February 22nd 2013

Well, I mean, he does call it a sludge album, which isn't really true. Most of it has a doom or black
backbone, even when they speed it up. The guitar work bores the hell out of me.

February 22nd 2013

I don't constantly post, clearly, because I find it unnecessary.

February 22nd 2013

Sludge is a sub-genre of doom. Heliogabalus was a lot more of a drone album, but this album is a lot more of a sludge album, but both contain significant elements of both sludge and drone doom.

February 22nd 2013

Sludge has gone off in many directions since it's initial inception, and can't just be pigeon-holed as just a sub-genre of doom anymore. This isn't that sludgy is all I'm trying to say.

February 22nd 2013

It's pretty sludgy to me. I wouldn't consider this doom, anyhow.

February 22nd 2013

Their love of tremolo during the faster moments gives off a more black metal vibe than anything else. Honestly it is kinda hard to just call them one sub-genre, as they bounce around a lot. I personally find those changes to be clumsy, which keeps this album from being great for me.

February 22nd 2013

They do have a black metal influence in this album, for sure.

Ignimbrite
February 22nd 2013

YES LET'S SPEND YET ANOTHER THREAD ARGUING ABOUT THE CORRECT SUBGENRE OF AN ALBUM GREAT IDEA

Review isn't terrible, but it is pretty obvious that you didn't give this a ton of time to sink in. I think I'll probably throw down a review for this sometime in the next week or so.

Digging: Jakob - Sines

Keyblade

it enough

allowed to review it?

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

AtomicWaste

2003 Comments

I actually don't think this review is awful, it's just massively congested.

I tried listening to this album on a few different tracks and couldn't manage more than 30 seconds of each. But that's more my taste in music than this being bad.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

February 22nd 2013

have i missed the memo that said you have to listen to an album X amount of times before you're allowed to review it?

obviously