Wicked Wisdom
Wicked Wisdom

by Ian USER (106 Reviews)
March 6th, 2006 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Iím listening to the radio one day, and an interview with Jada Pinkett Smith concerning her new metal band is on during the commercials. The reporter says that her new band, Wicked Wisdom is playing select dates at Ozzfest. Needless to say this is an unexpected surprise to me, and Iím sure about every other person listening to the interview. What Jada had to say in the interview was that basically she liked trying out different things, and that this was her latest project, but she wants it to be a long-term arrangement.

Well, I finally picked this up on the day of release, and I was fairly shocked at what I was hearing on the first track, Yesterday Donít Mean. Fast pounding double bass, and fast metal guitar riffing open the song. Soon Jada enters with some heavy verses, but soon goes into the chorus where She yells, ďYesterday donít mean *** today" multiple times over, and over while thereís a progressing guitar riff behind her, as well as the fast double bass once again. Yesterday Donít Mean opened the self-titled album impressively, and kept my interest easily. Smithís voice was even quite nice, but did feel a little weird alongside the extremely heavy music. To bad itís one of the few actually great songs on the album. Something Inside Of Me is one of the two singles off of Wicked Wisdom, but that doesnít nescesarily mean itís one of the more impressive songs. Even though itís the second song on the album, the music is starting to feel bland. Power chords are a constant with more double bass. Thereís nothing exactly wrong with this, but when it remains a constant in the music it hurts the album as a whole badly.

Jada proves herself as one of the better parts of the band though throughout displaying different vocal styles. On the pre-mentioned Something Inside of Me she takes a more melodic approach, and that works nicely for her. One introduces the element of fast paced, almost rapping vocals, which can be both hit, or miss, but still is alright. Even though she stands out more than the rest of the band, her voice still can become unsettling. Thatís because she seems so angry on the album, but thereís really no reason why sheís like that. Iím not sure, but if she were more melodic then this would have been a better album.

There really isnít anything disturbingly wrong with Wicked Wisdomís debut effort. It can seem awkward at times however, and fails to offer anything worthwhile to warrant repeated listens. Musicianship wise, this is average, and repetitive, but sometimes is cool with guitar solos appearing; otherwise itís boring power-chords. Wicked Wisdomís debut isnít exactly solid, but shows promise, that is if the band keeps going as Jada says. Itís tough to give this an overall rating because it feels hit, or miss a lot, but the bad which is lack of variation in the instruments, and the good, Jadaís voice (most of the time), and then sometimes enjoyable music balance out.

Standout Tracks

Bleed All Over Me
You Canít Handle
Reckoning
Yesterday Donít Mean

Kripes gives Wicked Wisdomís self-titled debut a rating of average.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You

innerdark
March 6th 2006

good, review, i'm surpised about this though...

morrissey

Good review.

Definitely not my kind of thing though.

March 6th 2006

[quote=Moz]I saw a music video on some website, needless to say I was very surprised to see her in a metal band (although pretty light metal based on the video). For some reason I find it really, really cool that Will Smith's wife is in a metal band. [/quote]You undoubtedly saw either Bleed Over Me, or Something Inside of Me. Those two are the lightest of the whole record. Mostly everything else is heavier.

Bfhurricane
March 6th 2006

I've never heard of this band until earlier in the summer I heard that they joined the Ozzfest tour. Of course I checked them out when I went to Ozzfest, and they were by far the worst band there. I couldnt just stand and watch them in the crowd, I went off to get some icecream with my friend, which was much more enjoyable.

Maybe I am being a little harsh, I dont own the album, but they failed to keep my attention live, her voice was horrible.

March 6th 2006

[quote=Jom]Well done review, but there's no way I'd be interested in it. With all due respect, of course, heh.[/quote]Haha, thanks. This really won't appeal to many at all. I might even have to change the rating eventually if it wears on me more like it has been.

March 7th 2006

/review edited to average rating

black guy
March 7th 2006

i saw the video for something inside of me. i found it awful and the lyrics laughably bad. entertaining, but not for the reasons they were going for.

NEDM

Nice review :thumb:This Message Edited On 03.07.06

theweirdrocker
May 18th 2006

Quite frankly, I like their sound. I enjoyed Wicked Wisdom even when I didn't know that the lead singer was Jada. Now I enjoy them even more.

August 14th 2006

:eek: 5? /faints

Cravinov13
August 14th 2006

JADA PINKETT SMITH MO' FOS'! I wonder how Will Smith is taking this.

September 28th 2006

[quote=]JADA PINKETT SMITH MO' FOS'! I wonder how Will Smith is taking this.[/quote]He like the band. :

The Door Mouse
September 28th 2006

2092 Comments

yo i jsut sent u an email. check it out

Jazzy K
November 8th 2006

I heard of them a long time ago but I only just got into them because of a mention on those Guitar Hero forums. Wierd.

Anyway I think they're cool. I expected Bleed All Over Me to be their only good song but I actually like the whole album.

BornDeadBuriedAlive
February 25th 2009

I remember Jada mentioning Will "getting into metal" in some interview, and mentioning the band "OTEP" by name. Someone should tell these fuckers about Death.

Listened to Bleed All Over Me, music was ok, lyrics were awful.

fireaboveicebelow
February 25th 2009

EWWWWW who the fuck recommends Otep and is serious about it

ThePalestMexican
August 16th 2009

Not Bad, Not Saying It Could've Been Better, but It's a LOT Better Then I Would've Expected

entarthedryden
August 16th 2009

You must be really gay

crowing51
October 21st 2010

Finally listened to this today. What the fuck was Jada thinking lol

random