The Machine
The Machine And Sungrazer Split

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
February 19th, 2013 | 8 replies

Release Date: 02/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fine pit stop before both bands check back into the studio.

Hailing from the same country (Holland/Netherlands), sharing the same label and the love for fuzz was enough for The Machine and Sungrazer to release a split record and go on a European tour. Both bands have been riding off the underground success of their latest records, Calmer Than You Are and Mirador, respectively, so this album would be a fine pit stop before checking back into the studio to record the follow-ups.

Both parties are big fuzzheads, relying on guitar power and this split is no different. Mostly complementing each other, there are a few characteristics though, that separate The Machine and Sungrazer from being confounded. The former have a more direct approach to the songs, drenching the fuzz in feedback, with less to no effects brought to the mix. Taking a cue from Kyuss, The Machine's production is raw and the vocals are left in the background for a full effect of the guitars wall. This way, "Awe" is a fuzz monster that never threatens to let loose for its entire span, showcasing what The Machine are all about, ending with a minute of feedback. Only on "Slipface" the band loosens up, offering a few minutes of tribal drums and wah solos, before settling for a nice, subdued ending.

On the opposite side, Sungrazer bring a wider arsenal, focusing more on dreamy, psychedelic soundscapes to merge with the fuzz. "Dopo" is rich in delayed guitars and some really cool western-like tremolos that add a lot to the atmosphere of the track. The same goes with "Yo La Tengo", a laid-back jam, that progresses to a heavier finale after a long passage of lovely echoed guitar solos. The layered vocals and the clearer production are more accessible, better highlighting the songs. Mirador was a strong record and these tunes should leave the fans anxious enough for a proper follow-up.

Even if the material present here might not be the bands' best material, although some tracks do come close, especially "Slipface", "Dopo" and "Yo La Tengo", this split is a must listen to any Sungrazer and The Machine's fan.

The Ting Tings Super CriticalMark Lanegan Phantom Radio
KMFDM Our Time Will ComeThe Asteroid No. 4 The Asteroid No. 4
Amplifier MystoriaCausa Sui Pewt'r Sessions 3
3.3

February 19th 2013

Those three songs, "Slipface", "Dopo" and "Yo La Tengo" are great. Stream the whole split here http://themachineandsungrazersplit.bandcamp.com/album/the-machine-sungrazer

I don't know exactly if the split should have a page of its own in the database, so I added it at Machine's own page.

Digging: The Ting Tings - Super Critical

greg84
February 19th 2013

Interesting. Mirador is a great album. I'll check this one too.

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

February 19th 2013

Sungrazer's half is really cool. The Machine are a bit too close to Kyuss in sound.

February 19th 2013

Listening to this now. I loved both bands' previous albums.

February 19th 2013

I loved Mirador too. The Machine are less my thing, but they have some solid songs.

February 22nd 2013

sweet al and rev, pos'd

electric moon is a sik band too if you haven't heard of them

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

February 23rd 2013

I heard of Electric Moon, they have some really cool songs.

Mad.