Omnium Gatherum
Beyond

by Joxer The Mighty USER (20 Reviews)
February 16th, 2013 | 76 replies | 7,907 views

Release Date: 02/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Featuring beautiful atmosphere and heavy yet soothing riffs, Omnium Gatherum keeps on evolving their new improved sound with Beyond.

Beyond. That word just sums it all up. The album cover and the music gives the listener a fantastic feeling. The joyful aura that this album projects is indescribable and it is what makes Omnium Gatherum such an amazing band. It’s not at all corny either so it gives the albums upbeat atmosphere even more strength. The first track called Luoto is a great mood-setter and opens up the album perfectly. It’s quite powerful track packed with emotion.

Omnium Gatherum has on later releases deviated further away from the traditional Finnish melodic death metal genre and focuses way more on atmosphere than a lot of bands in the genre. It’s not all atmosphere though and Beyond is filled to the top with catchy, compelling and impressive riffs. The main riff for the song The Unknowing is “beyond” godly. It’s a tremolo based riff which at the end of each segment turns into a beautiful guitar jingle. The keyboard is almost always present, but simply as a background atmosphere creator. It cannot be compared with bands like Children of Bodom or Kalmah where the keyboard most of the time follows the lead guitars and are overall quite frantic. The Keyboardist does, however, get his moments where his playing gets elevated in choruses and solos. There are of course guitar solos in just about all of the songs and they are with no surprise great. Not too much can be said about them except that the sound of them is not the usual trash sound, but it’s yet again more focused on atmosphere. Many of the songs actually rocks pretty hard like Living In Me and The Sonic Sign. They are faster songs with a more agressive impact.

The drumming performance is simple, but not a rating changing matter. It’s just melodic-death metal drumming, but with a very well-produced sound and a great sound on the bass drums. The bass guitar is as always when it comes to Omnium Gatherum very audible and at times fantastic. In the song Formidable, there is a bass-solo at about three minutes and it’s such an amazing part of this album. Beyond gets a big plus for great bass performance.

The vocals are in 90% of the album Jukka’s ordinarily “cookie monster” grunting/growls. His vocal performance can be discussed and it’s more of a “love or hate” situation. I personally think that they are nice contrast to all the stunning and often calm instrumentals. The vocal range is not a problem and Jukka is hardly holding Omnium Gatherums musical progress back, but it’s just how the vocals sound. Clean vocals are not as present here as in their last release which is not bad or disappointing, but they were really good in New world Shadows so that there wasn’t really any reason to not have a lot in Beyond. Could Say has, however, a lot of clean vocals and it’s a wonderful a bit slower, almost ballad like song. All the clean vocals are also sung by Jukka.

If you liked New World Shadows then this will with no doubt satisfy. If you haven’t heard Omnium Gatherum before then I would certainly recommend Beyond.

Whispered Shogunate MacabreI Shall Move the Earth Blueprints MMXIII
Pig Destroyer Prowler in the YardRotting Christ Sanctus Diavolos
Eyeconoclast Drones of the AwakeningEmperor In the Nightside Eclipse
eyesofapocalypse (4)
This is hardly beyond their sound, but they do their sound exceedingly well....

Jacob Royal STAFF (4)
Who knew they had it in them?...

The Unkowning

Mad.

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

geeze

Keyblade

Digging: Paraxism - .Xism Excursion

FictionalFlames
February 16th 2013

You might want to get rid of the first sentence because it's the same as the summary. It's quite redundant.

Shuyin
February 16th 2013

im a fanboy of NWS so i may enjoy this one allot

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

@FictionalFlames

whoops that's actually an error I will get rid of it now. Since I'm writing my reviews in word i often forget stuff like that when I copy them into sputnik.

Vakarian12
February 16th 2013

'pretty stoked to bear this, gonna listen tonight if my headphones aren't broken like I suspect'

I feel for you bro. My good headphones broke yesterday while on the train and had to replace them with a crappy $10 pair.

On topic, can't wait to hear this.

it's pretty dang good

Keyblade
February 16th 2013

Vakarian it sucks bro heh

bowlofsoup
February 16th 2013

I actually thought this was pretty cool, but both the harsh and clean vocals nearly kill it for me.

pinecone
February 16th 2013

Really, really enjoying this, definitly going to check out their older stuff

skoopy48

Yeah this is very solid

February 16th 2013

"Death metal makes me laugh. They ruin their own music with crappy vocals. That song would be awesome without the puking singer."

Is it really 'ruining it' if they have many loyal fans?

On a side note, cool review. it does read as if you wrote it too quickly, though.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

February 16th 2013

"it does read as if you wrote it too quickly, though."

well...yeh and the fact that english isn't my first language which limits me a bit.

February 16th 2013

I mean, the album DID start streaming just yesterday!

Considering English isn't your first language, this is a good review. That being said, I feel it would have been stronger if you'd let your opinions on the album settle a little bit. This review is comprised of mostly general descriptions, and while they do have their place in a review, this specific review's filled with them.

February 16th 2013

Alright, Omaha. I will think about that. Thanks for the feedback.

@wil311

FUCK NO! m/

CK

Omnomnomnium Gatherum

February 16th 2013

No problem. And you do have a good review here. I don't want you to think otherwise.

TheNotrap
February 16th 2013

Nice work. Might check this out.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails