Tyrant Goatgaldrakona

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
February 16th, 2013 | 22 replies | 1,951 views

Release Date: 02/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A 30-minute blast of old school death metal

The two members of Tyrant Goatgaldrakona boast stage names "Hellfire Commander of Eternal War and Pain" and "Grave Desecration and Necrosodomy". Furthermore, on the cover of the band’s debut album Horns In The Dark we have a tyrant goat reading an unholy book in front of an ominous shrine and under the keen eye of wraiths during a fall of stars. If that doesn’t scream "death metal", I don’t know what does. On that note, it should come as no surprise that Horns In The Dark is exactly what it portrays itself to be – a pure blooded, no-frills death metal album that uses the power of riffs to compel potential listeners. This Hungarian death-duo gives us a relentless 30 minutes of classic death metal madness on their debut album, and that is exactly what 2013 needs more of. The record is crude, sinister, in your face, and in an improbable way, extremely catchy. Horns In The Dark is both based on and centered around meaty death metal riffs, resonant tremolo picking and howling solos, none of which disappoint. It doesn’t try to be anything more than a fully guitar-centered short blast of death metal, but incidentally, that’s what makes it so good. The drumming is competent and the growls are as dark as a moonless winter sky, but it’s all about the guitars here.

The blackened vibe that protrudes the sound only enhances the effect of this short wrecker of an album and gives it an added edge. Horns In The Dark is not exactly a versatile record, but it does pack a heavy punch with its thick production and straightforward nature. They say that dogs who bark do not bite, but this album sure as hell does. It approaches you with a steady but self-assured swagger and when it reaches you, it mowes you down. Horns In The Dark is (hopefully) not going to be one of the very top death metal albums in 2013 – it’s too primitive and predictable for that – but for those into old school death metal, it’s a small treat that’s well-worth checking out. If nothing more, this simple but enticing album is yet another reminder of how potent straight-forward, old-school death metal can be if done right.

MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North
Iskald Nedom Og NordPsyclon Nine [Order of the Shadow: Act I]
3.1
good

February 15th 2013

Would 3.7 the hell out of this if I had access to that feature.

sik

would pos if i had access to that feature

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

SgtPepper
February 15th 2013

Sweet review, Magnus. I found the title track on youtube, that's one insane intro.

Also, for some reason the artwork doesn't show up on the front page (or is that just on my end?)

February 15th 2013

'or is that just on my end?)'

my end too

SgtPepper
February 15th 2013

Hey, Captain. I'll take it to the mods.

Crysis
February 15th 2013

Whoa sweet Metalstyles reviewing osdm pos pos pos

edit - no can pos

February 15th 2013

Yea the artwork is dodgy for some reason. It took me quite a while to get it working on the artist's page and it doesn't work for me on the front page either.

Thanks for the kind words guys and I do hope you check it out.

@Kyle
Yes, we contributors are as invincible as the staff now haha.

Jacquibim
February 15th 2013

Nice, need some more OSDM.

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

NocteDominum
February 15th 2013

Short and to the point, well done. Imaginary posness.

Funeralopolis
February 15th 2013

I listened to this yesterday and thought it was pretty awful but could be wrong!

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

February 16th 2013

You could be! You should give it another shot.

Thanks guys!

February 25th 2013

This isn't bad at all. The riffs kind of get repetitive though.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

February 25th 2013

The album is repetitive, but not in a bad way.

February 25th 2013

No the album being repetitive is fine because come on, this is no frills old school death metal. I meant that there isn't enough variation in the riffs in many of the songs. One song will have, like, 2 riffs in the entire thing.

February 25th 2013

But at least they're good riffs!

Yes that is true.

February 26th 2013

Btw, did you ever check out that Mechina album? I mean, you like this, the new Fractal Gates...there's a real possibility you could dig three of my reviewed albums in a row here, and that is a possibility you must take advantage of haha. Besides, it's heavy, symphonic industrial metal - it should be right up your alley.

February 26th 2013

I did check out a couple of tracks on Youtube. I wasn't digging it too much though, unfortunately. Clean vocals were a bit too clean and tbh I've never been too big on symphonic metal.

February 27th 2013

Aight, too bad. I absolutely loved it (especially the atmosphere which was killer) and found that the symphony really contributed to the overall sound in a major way. It's my favorite album I've heard thus far in 2013 and I'm certain it'll be high up my list come year's end.

February 27th 2013

Hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad... ;)