Forced Entry
As Above, So Below

by Aaron CONTRIBUTOR (110 Reviews)
February 15th, 2013 | 29 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: They might be a bunch of dicks, but at least they're talented.

Whether you consider yourself a fan of the thrash genre or not, there’s a good chance you’ve never heard music by Forced Entry. They seem to have fallen under the radar quite possibly due to only releasing two full length albums in their entire career spanning from 1987 to 1992. However, those who have heard the debut from the US thrashers know the band doesn’t disappoint and in 1991 they released their sophomore effort As Above, So Below. Not only is it a successful follow up to the band’s debut, it’s also an improvement in just about every way imaginable.

Those who enjoyed the tasty guitar riffs and furious drumming heard on Forced Entry’s debut are in for a nice surprise as the instrumentation on As Above, So Below is a definite step up from the debut. Some tracks such as ‘Bone Crackin Fever’ are full of spastic guitars and loud drums while other songs such as ‘Macrocosm, Microcosm’ display a level of technicality that was absent from the band’s first effort. The album also has an unexpectedly solid ballad in the form of ‘Never a Know But The No.’ Due to the impressive production and strong musicianship, the song doesn’t sound too far off from the ballads Metallica wrote in their prime.

The vocalist has also improved since the release of Uncertain Future and he sounds fantastic whether he’s singing his heart out on the somber ballads or letting out his angriest growls on the albums biggest thrashers. There are several gems to be found but the standout of the album has to be the unapologetic ‘We’re Dicks.’ It’s an adrenaline fueled ride that’s made even better by memorable gang vocals and undeniably humorous lyrics. Although the song was obviously meant to be fun, it’s hard not to feel like you’ve been bitch slapped into submission by some of the most energetic, angry vocals on the entire album.

We’re a bunch of dicks. We tell it like it is. I know it makes you pissed. Cause we’re a bunch of dicks.

While Forced Entry may not be the most original thrash band in existence, there’s no denying their talent and it’s on full display on As Above, So Below. It’s glittered with well timed solos, strong vocals, and it showcases a new level of technicality for the band. It also contains some of the most impressive songs the band wrote in their entire career making it a successful follow up and an all around great thrash experience. They might be a bunch of dicks, but thank God they’re talented.