Bullet for My Valentine
Temper Temper

by ForgetTheFallen USER (8 Reviews)
February 11th, 2013 | 33 replies

Release Date: 02/12/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A lazy, generic and uninspired album that leaves fans and listeners with much to be desired.

Four albums into their career, Bullet for my Valentine's sound has changed drastically since their initial break into the metal scene. The follow up to the success "Fever", "Temper Temper" continues the direction of its predecessor. However, unlike "Fever", "Temper Temper" displays immense amounts of unoriginal, cliche songwriting.

Each song on the album follows the same basic template: intro riff - chorus (without singing) - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo - chorus. After listening to each song, I can honestly say that there was very little effort put into making each song have interesting and exciting musical parts. Every song on the album with the exception of a few, relies on chorus hooks to keep the listeners attention.

In the attempt to create pseudo-metal, radio friendly music, Bullet for my Valentine have sacrificed most of their musical integrity. All members of the band are great musicians yet much of their potential is put to waste by filling up a large portion of the album with power chord progressions and generic "metal" riffs. The band has decided to almost completely omit screaming from the songs and instead rely on Tuck's clean vocals to carry the songs through from beginning to end. The drumming on this album, while not terrible, never does much to drive the songs forward and usually keeps technicality to a minimum.

The strongest point of this album is easily Michael Padget's lead guitar work. In most of the songs, the guitar solos are the strongest part. The solos are fun, energetic, and gives the listener a break from the bore-inducing track if only for a brief moment.

While there is nothing wrong with change, Bullet for my Valentine needs to decide what genre of music they want to create. "Temper Temper" finds Bullet for my Valentine in an identity crisis as they begin to blur the line between their original thrash inspired sound and accessible radio rock. The diversity between songs and within the songs themselves leaves the albums strong points spread thin. While each song may have something to offer it's listener, each song also has it's anchor which weighs it down. It is this that makes Bullet for my Valentine's "Temper Temper" both a pleasure, and a pain to listen to at the same time.

Recommended Tracks:

Bring Me the Horizon Suicide SeasonBlack Veil Brides Set the World on Fire
1.6
very poor

February 10th 2013

Album is fuckin gay and lame.

Insurrection

Surprised this doesnt have a 4+ review yet

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

ForgetTheFallen
February 10th 2013

Even huge bullet fans are disappointed. This album is a pile of shit.

February 10th 2013

They are going to cry for this album, they even cried when complained like cheap whore when matt tuck changed his haircut.

J0ckstrapsFTW

WE ALL KNOW THIS SUCKS STOP REVIEWING THIS PIECE OF SHIT ALBUM

Jacquibim
February 10th 2013

One thing that has often impressed me in the songwriting of Kate Bush is how form always seems to match function. Whatever she may be singing about, whatever character she may be evoking, the songs really come to life in the production and compositional extras thrown in. It was in The Dreaming that Bush’s songwriting acumen came into fruition. The Kick Inside and Lionheart featured Kate as a young artist still under the thumb of her record label. She was thankfully given more freedom for her 1980 album Never For Ever, and it showed. There was a greater eclecticism in the instrumentation and more unconventionality in the structure of these songs (see: Delius, Army Dreamers), and while many of these songs were still rooted in piano-led theatrics, Bush brought in the spanking new Fairlight CMI sampler to flesh out the songs in more interesting ways.

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

20158 Comments

lol you definitely got the recommended tracks wrong.

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

sixdegrees
February 10th 2013

so I heard this isn't very good

Digging: Sputnik - Christmas At Our House

Insurrection
February 10th 2013

Yeah you picked like the three worst songs on the album

February 10th 2013

Tears Don't Fall Part 2 is horsecrap.

ForgetTheFallen

I disagree

BassDemon333

Yeah this is awful

thebat675
February 10th 2013

album art is just a close up of the Suicide Season artwork by Bring me the horizon

February 11th 2013

it doesn't matter what you say, those are three of the worst tracks

February 11th 2013

begin to blur the line between their original trash-metal sound and accessible radio rock

I think you made a mistake with the 'trash' metal. If you meant thrash, they weren't thrash and if you
meant trash then kudos.

NocteDominum
February 11th 2013

I think you need to re-think the words un-original and cliche. The unoriginal part is correct but calling Fever original is a little off. Both albums are dripping over the edge with cliche song-writing. The difference is that its got all the more stale this time around.

DrGonzo1937
February 11th 2013

Tears Don't Fall Part 2? LOL really scrapping the barrel here, guy's. Just listened to it.... piled up dogshit, like the rest of the album.

Digging: Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor

J0ckstrapsFTW
February 11th 2013

Ya worst of the year contender already

DrGonzo1937
February 11th 2013

They need to just stop.... STOP!

yeah