The Smashing Pumpkins
Siamese Dream

by SiameseNightmare USER (1 Reviews)
February 10th, 2013 | 43 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not only is Siamese Dream hands down the peak of Smashing Pumpkins' career, it's one of the best albums of the nineties and one of the greatest alternative rock albums of all time.

So without getting into all the sentimental crap that's seen a lot on this site I'll just get straight to it, Siamese Dream is one of the best albums in the last 20 years and one of alternative rock's crown jewels.

Siamese Dream is the pumpkin's second LP and a huge step forward from their excellent debut album Gish. Regardless of your opinion of Billy Corgan, it's easy to see that he truley strived for perfection when making this album and the attention to detail is, at times, shocking. Want an example? Apparently on the 6 minute epic that is Soma there was over 100 guitar overdubs! It's an insane concept to get your head around but Corgan really put himself through hell during the recording of this record, though at the expense of his band members.

The lyrical content is one of my favorite parts of the album. Every song really gives you an insight into Billy's disturbing life. From his reflection of his abuse as a child on Disarm to his ironic take on suicide on Today, we are displayed with a dark image of Billy's life. At times, it's like an exorcism of his demons. But its not just the lyrics that make SD as classic, Billy is also an incredible guitarist and offers some fantastic solos throughout the album (see Cherub Rock, Hummer or Geek USA). Jimmy Chamberlin also shines on Siamese Dream offering competent drum work from start to finish, definitely one of the most underrated drummers of all time.
There isn't one occasion on the album where we're left bored, the album never drags and will grab your attention from the drum roll in Cherub Rock to the beautiful melody in Luna. Every single song on the album is phenomenal and there's something to admire about on each track.
In summary, if your in any way a fan of alternative rock you have to own siamese dream. As cheesey as it sounds, it really does take you to another place and keeps you there through th entire duration if the album.

Standout tracks:

Cherub Rock

4.4

Apollo
February 10th 2013

Agreed hard. One of my favourite albums of all time.

SiameseNightmare
February 10th 2013

Cheers mate, wasnt sure about the quality of the review tbh I didnt think it did the album justice lol

Relinquished

clever username

siamesenig

SiameseNightmare
February 10th 2013

Haha thanks, im a big fan of the band so I wanted to choose something remotely clever

YoYoMancuso
February 10th 2013

best album ever written. awesome first review although a bit short. Mayonaise is the breast

good album

February 10th 2013

Acceptable first review. Sputnikers generally don't like new uptakes on albums that already have plenty of reviews (I know because I've been there). But you did an okay job overall.

February 10th 2013

BTW, I haven't listened to Gish yet. I'll probably hear that and leave the rest for later (I've already heard Mellon Collie; pretty good, but this is better imo).

YoYoMancuso

^ jam Gish it rules

4 reviews are not THAT much, it is ok

February 10th 2013

^actually, this has 6 5-rated reviews; 7 with this one.

ok so this has 9 other reviews, new site confuses me

someguest
February 10th 2013

I love this album too. I think most people do.

72086 Comments

desu

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

someguest
February 10th 2013

"Disarm you with a smile, and cut you like you want me to."

This is quite possibly one of the best lines of lyrics ever. You could write a book on this sentence. I love what it says about not reacting to someone who has most certainly wronged you. Continuing to move forward is much more important than to dwell in hatred.

72086 Comments

someguest ur going funny again take ur meds

Conorman11

clever username [2]

TIME FOR A SIAMESE-NEG

Seriously though, review was decent. I like SP a lot, but I always manage to find filler songs on each album. This album can start to drag a little bit though.

Gwyn.
February 10th 2013

I gave this such a half-assed listen damn

Gwyn.
February 10th 2013

"In summary, if your in any way"

End your life

Mookid
February 10th 2013

Wow dannyboy is back sweet

Okay review