Linkin Park
Meteora

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
February 10th, 2013 | 98 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I don’t care if Mr. Ponton already reviewed it. Mine matters too.

This review has been a long time coming. In retrospect of everything music means to me I owe everything to this album (well this and Yanni’s Dare To Dream, but that’s beside the point), because this album solidifies, essentially, a majority of my life – give or take things that actually matter. What I’m getting at here is this album has subconsciously labeled a significant part of my life; a mark that is recognizable among not just myself but so many people around me that I’ll never even come into contact with. I can say the word hybrid and I bet the ears perk on some individual within earshot, barring anybody over the age of 30 – but, I guess, let’s not omit any candidates here, anyway, I bet that individual gives attention to the word is because he/she too owes to its awe. Yeah, awe. Linkin Park established something so few bands had done before them. There was a weird generational identity thing going on in the nineties. Nirvana was dead so that left Soundgarden, but, I could barely work a VCR, how the hell would I understand what Cornell was gurgling about? And do I look cool enough to know people who knew Faith No More? Korn did something too scary for my parents and Limp Bizkit was out of the question. Short story longer; I was reduced to what the radio had to offer and my churches choir. They were hard times. Here’s what Linkin Park did. They gave the slightest opening to a world that might have never been accessed. The lyrics – sad? – yeah, definitely, to mom and dad, nothing to aggressive so no alarm sounded. But to the kid who couldn’t identify with anything, including their parents not letting them watch Power Rangers because it was too violent, Linkin Park was a Godly affirmation to a life that seemed so rough. With Meteora the band planted the seeds for a legacy.

I blew headphones out listening to the bass kick in “Lying From You” and burned countless copies of tapes recording just the chorus of “Faint” on repeat. I grew up poor, but we had this cd/tape player and you could record sound produced from cd onto tape. So goes how I fell in love with Meteora. I had twenty-five cents one days and a local library account so divulging in some new music sounded wonderful. The rest is history I suppose you could say as I then decided to buy several packages of cassette tapes, instead of just buying the damn album, remember, these were hard times – hence, Linkin Park. Anyway, thousands of recordings later and I could mimic any second of this record at any moment just give me a time. Including today, and until recently I had never really given true thought as to what this band meant to me. Doing so meant I had to actually look at my past, something I had been so afraid of doing because it was something I wanted to move away from. It’s a good laugh looking back now, nights curled with a cassette player screaming silently the words of “Somewhere I Belong" hoping that if you sing hard enough your faux hopes will come true. It’s silly because life as a kid is so fucking easy that it’s all anyone wants to amount to as they grow older. You go to school and wash dishes. Or Vacuum. But nobody, absolutely, nobody understood that we just didn’t want to do that shit because of everything else going on. Math, soccer, that note you have to get signed by your parents and return to your teacher in the morning. Again, hard times.

Can you imagine the satisfaction in learning that one minute someone’s on top and the next minute their heart would drop? What that teacher didn’t get was that we had so much going on in life - dishes, Math and soccer, remember? – so yeah, “Hit the Floor” was a saving grace and the, kind of heavy, but not really, aspect of it really made the world feel that much more manageable in more ways than one. The best part about these songs, however, isn’t the ease to identify, rather their ambiguity. The ability to match tracks like “Easier To Run” and “Numb” to several of lifes, seemingly, hopeless circumstances was a feat in and of itself. Linkin Park perfected the art of making songs that matter for the most important period of our lives; a time when everything we take in has the potential to be influential in our yet defined lives. No surprise when we didn’t understand how to equate how we felt into words, and so becoming lost inside the thoughts of a band like this was remarkable – to say the least. An interesting thought I’ve developed is to whether the same degree of critique offered to how these songs have evolved when compared to music I discover tomorrow should be required. I can’t find a reason to argue so because a song like “From the Inside” resides on Meteora.

Listen, we can make jokes all night, but the fact of the matter is “From the Inside” is the greatest accomplishment in Linkin Park’s discography, and, as teased with their “curious” last few release, serves as their peak as well. Consider how seamlessly Hahn blends his beats within Brad Delson’s riff. It is an intro that catapults into a song that incorporates the very best of what the band has to offer: lyrics that work for their time and place, a fantastic balance between Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington delivering both tact and aggression respectfully. A true standout the song exemplifies what Meteora came to mean in the early 00’s. And while the US and Iraq were going at it and that tiger attacked Roy from “Siegfried and Roy”, I couldn’t be bothered. No one actually fucking admits how hard it is growing up and that’s odd. We all do it, but when we see those younger than us going through the same experiences we chuckle and ruffle their hair spouting how easy they’ve got it. And in reality they do, but the least we could do would be to give them a copy of Meteora, it obviously got us to where we are today, which isn’t a world engulfed in flames – fingers were definitely crossed 12/21/12, so I think that’s saying something.

In the End Meteora is the perfect accompaniment to Hybrid Theory, but only in a big brother kind of way. One was more juvenile and told you to, literally, “Shut up!” while the other simply wants to know why. HT was a great introduction, absolutely, without it there would be a shorter percentage of fans for Meteora, but this here felt like a promise that had actually been delivered. Lies from the beginning; Santa, the Easter Bunny, Cthulhu even! So you can see how the words make sense now, wanting to heal and feel what was thought to not be real. Linkin Park has bridged gaps larger than many people lend credence to. I think this is the truest testimony to the band; the ability to affect anyone who suffers from this awful thing we call life. There’s no Wikipedia page for its secret codes to happiness or whatever it is people are searching for these days, no, but this seems to cement the need for a soundtrack to finding out the answers somehow – thank you Linkin Park.