Plan B
Ill Manors

by TheRapReviewer USER (3 Reviews)
February 10th, 2013 | 7 replies | 2,753 views

Review Summary: Plan B uses his superb story telling skills to produce a brilliant album.

Benjamin Drew is back with a brilliant album which will no doubt impress you. He has taken a different approach to this album than he did with 'The Defamation Of Strickland Banks' and takes it to the streets of London. In this album he shows the lifestyle that people in London have to go through every day as he exposes gang life. So, you may be asking 'why is this album so good'?

Its the story telling of Ben Drew that makes this album what it is. In 'Playing With Fire', the best song on the album he tells a story of a helpless fourteen year old who gets involved with the gang life. He exposes how the elder influence the younger generation on bad instances like this. Labrinth brings a brilliant soulful touch to the album too before Plan B ends the song with a bit of singing. Plan B returned to his soulful ways on 'Deepest Shame' he bases it upon the life of a prostitute. He captures the pain that prostitutes go through and that this is a serious matter. 'There's a million other girls just like Michelle' is a line that really shows that he's talking about reality.

But then there are also some points in this album when he really makes you feel the emotions of the characters. The song 'Pity The Plight' is a perfect example. The dialogue from the song are really powerful & actually make them feel there pain. He exposes the consequences of these teenagers decisions. Although, the actual song itself is brilliant I just found that part very memorable. Drew continues his grimy sound with the song 'Lost My Way' where he continues the life of the fourteen year old which featured on 'Playing With Fire'. The darkness in this album is what really makes it unique. Plan B's mix of soul & grime is really something memorable.

As of production, its highly inconsistent in a good way. The instrumental on 'The Runaway' is a completely different sort of feel to the instrumental on 'Playing With Fire' or 'Deepest Shame'. But its the dialogue that really holds this album together & makes this what it is. The screams of a young boy on 'Pity The Plight' or the beating of a young boy next to an estate in 'Drug Dealer'.

So overall, this album is definitely something I'll remember in years to come.

Best Songs:
Playing With Fire, Lost My Way, Deepest Shame, The Runaway

Worst Song:
Falling Down (If i had to pick one)

Benjamino Jackanory (4)
Are you sitting comfortably? Well, put your seatbelts on, 'cause you're in for a harrowing ride...

Brostep
February 9th 2013

Nice one straying away from the TBT review. One thing, though, is the unwritten rule of 1 review per day - just letting you know. Also, your grammar is slightly wonky and it's a bit short, but it's not bad.

IfYouRun
February 10th 2013

Love his previous album, but I haven't actually heard this beyond the title track, which was fantastic.

TheRapReviewer
February 10th 2013

Be sure to listen to it all. It sounds different to 'Defamation Of Strickland Banks' but if you like the song 'Ill Manors' then you'll love the album.

jefflebowski
February 10th 2013

good job, this needed a review. probably his best album and certainly better than strickland banks

Digging: Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

Cadda
February 11th 2013

Quality album

Tim00w
August 10th 2013

It's fun to see how this review and the one done by Benjamino Jackanory are completely the opposite when it comes to select good and bad songs. I tend to agree more with this one

lololee13
September 4th 2013

listening to this album was like watching the movie this album was based on. I loved each track which seemed to flow from one track to the next. From this is the narrator to Ill manors, playing with fire, and my all time favorite, Deepest Shame, I felt like I had been teleported to London. This was my favorite album for 2012-2013 period. I cant give this album less then 5 stars. I'm a fan of Ben Drew, his creativity and willingness to take risk with his music, and thats what sets him apart from other artist. Wither it be rap, soul music, R&B laced with rap and sprinkled with some rock, It always comes together like a nice pot of stew. He should be a Star in America, but America has yet to break out of the confines of its trusty albeit unimaginative boxes.