Santa Hates You
Crucifix Powerbomb

by Ryan Willis USER (26 Reviews)
February 8th, 2013 | 11 replies | 795 views

Review Summary: While flawed in the musical department and even lyrically, this is a pretty fun album and packs a punch. It can be rewarding by the end but also uncomfortable and seemingly boring

German-bred although far from mainstream, Santa Hates You’s second and arguably best album is called Crucifix Powerbomb. The most gripping aspect with this band is related back to the vocalist’s strange and intense voice. His delivery and representation are both packed with a gut-wrenching punch, showcasing his primitive strength as seen with this album. Alongside a female vocalist who occasionally tags along with him throughout, they both pair up to sharpen the music and do so very well. They make it sound fuller and more penetrating, with the help of pounding synthesizers and soaring melodies that can rip apart the individual song. Their voices are something worth checking out to experience, because they complement the music in a great way.

Crucifix Powerbomb is a fairly rewarding and engaging listen for most of the time, but can become incredibly redundant and boring. On the surface, it might be difficult for someone to enjoy this if you aren’t prone to brutish and relentless vocals and synthesizers, but I’m sure people could warm up positively to this. Sadly, though, I never truly took a shine with this and therefore never completely clicked. Thankfully, some songs did and they were some of the most aggressive, cold-blooded songs I’ve ever heard of and make this listenable.

But first, the seer passion is definitely something worthwhile here. While most of the songs are threatening, apocalyptic, and musically aggressive, others are actually quite passionate and seductive. There are quite a few instances where the synthesizers are turned down dramatically, sliding in more atmosphere and a floating/spacy-diorama. This could be more suited for people who are just getting into their EBM music, striking as it might be.

Album opener ‘*** that I’m Human’ has the accessible side to it, and it’s accomplished well with the airy synthesizer and variety of buzzes and bells heard from the beginning. It eventually takes a turn though and turns into a full-blast, explosive jam which is a great opener and a club-starter, perfect for gathering a bunch of people up to deliver one hell of an impact. Onto complete polar opposites, though, ‘God is Hiding Under My Bed’ is a perfect example of how merciless the band get. With the chorus providing a dark, shadowy melody and the typical energetic beat, the song yields into be one of their darkest and most intimidating for sure.

Sadly though, ‘Slime Green Spaceship’ and ‘You Make Me Wanna Bang My Head Against the Wall and Not In a Good Way’ take a gigantic turn for the band as they are quite horrendous and nothing short of boring. They both feature boring synthesizers and the use of obnoxious vocals, both creating a cluttered mess and an awkward state of mind. But things start picking up pace though with ‘La Malia’, a rather upbeat tune carried by a catchy melody and a near perfect tag-team work from the male and female vocalist, followed by a rather pleasing closer called ‘Bootcamp’

As a whole, this album shares its positives and negatives, but is forlornly brought down by the negatives. While not many, the occasional boringness and weaker tracks bring down this albums virtue and essentially do nothing for the listener. Lyrically, even though most of the songs are quite unclear, they can still be awfully fun and unforgettable.

Song recs:

*** That I’m Human!
Hexenpolizei
Rocket Heart
Bootcamp

VNV Nation EmpiresAlice in Chains Alice in Chains
Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3Bloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
VNV Nation Of Faith, Power, and GloryCrossfire Collision Panic Face
2.8
good

February 8th 2013

Won't really rec this to too many people

Funeralopolis

was expecting a Ballstothewall review

Digging: Banks - London

February 8th 2013

I love this band, they're just crazy. I listen to stuff like Angelspit so this isn't that far off haha.

Sweet

I don't think I enjoyed this as much as I should

This was hard to talk about though

February 8th 2013

Ugh, I'm not quite feeling this album so much anymore. Used to love it when I was on a huge EBM craze, but this band never suits me.

Might consider bumping it down, but probably not. Will probably never even listen to this album again actually

February 8th 2013

Harsh EBM is a pretty inaccessible genre so I don't blame you. ;) It's pretty funny that you reviewed
this though anyway.

Yeah haha it is

I'm more of a futurepop guy more than anything

February 8th 2013

futurepop can be pretty great

pissbore

satan loves you

FrozenVain

creepy ass album cover

Haha yeah.

Totally reminds me of the joker