Audrey Horne

4.3

by Greg Fisher STAFF
February 8th, 2013 | 50 replies

Release Date: 02/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Audrey Horne find their true identity in the realm of vintage heavy metal.

Norway-based Audrey Horne have always released modern hard rock that was seriously lacking in creativity. Their first three albums were fairly trite and derivative failing to make any significant impact outside the borders of their homeland. It's a shame because the band comprised of famed Enslaved, Gorgoroth and Sahg's members has always had an unfulfilled potential for crafting remarkable music. Youngblood is the first album of the outfit that fully capitalizes on their consummate skills as both musicians and songwriters.

The LP wouldn't be so relevant if Audrey Horne hadn't decided to make significant alterations to their sound. Namely, trite hard rock and murky post-grunge have been traded for classy heavy metal that is greatly indebted to the likes of Judas Priest, Deep Purple and Rainbow. Despite these obvious influences, Youngblood has turned out to be an inspired record that sounds much more like a fitting tribute than a caricature. The album's individuality is enhanced by a decidedly modern production which, along with adventurous transitions, propels every song.

The radical shift in sound is apparent right from the time when “Redemption Blues” makes its presence felt. The whirling, dual guitar harmonies and NWOBHM-inspired, impetuous leads are backed up with Toschie's powerful vocals that display more swagger and confidence than ever before. On the other hand, “There Goes A Lady” is an unabashed spin on sleaze rock merging bluesy grooves with a sing-along chorus to great effect. The startling infectiousness built around a series of hook-driven choruses happens to be the album's chief selling point in the long run, and the group's uncanny knack for crafting instantly memorable, pop-inflicted heavy metal is nothing short of commendable.

Moreover, Youngblood is exceptionally consistent. Stale “Show And Tell” comes as the only track that doesn't quite live up to the impressive bunch of vintage anthems. Other than that, the songs glitter with the fantasy and power heavy metal is renowned for. The heavy use of organs, shredding solos and clunky bass lines provides the music with an ever-present progressive rock vibe. The album's mesmerizing call to arms “The Open Sea” effectively blends all these elements with oddly uplifting atmosphere, while the mini-epic “The King Is Dead” ends the disc on a sombre, yet appropriately lofty note.

By going back to their roots, Audrey Horne have finally churned out the record that radiates with genuine passion. Even though Youngblood isn't going to change anybody's opinion about traditional heavy metal, it's an effort that elevates the constantly underachieving band into the ranks of the most coveted artists in the genre. It's one of these rare albums that strike a perfect balance between the flamboyance of its style and unadulterated fun.

Sparky HumanimationLo-Pan Colossus
Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings
So Slow DharaviMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun

February 8th 2013

The album's cover is not very good, but this rules on so many levels.

The video for Redemption Blues:

The chorus of this song = the chorus of Therapy?'s hit single from the 1990s.

The preview of every song:

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

Voivod
February 8th 2013

The first paragraph is not entirely true, as far as I'm concerned.

No Hay Banda has some great songs in it and I know a lot of people who worship Audrey Horne.

Excellent review otherwise, I will probably pick this up at some point.

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

February 8th 2013

Thanks. I know there are some people who like these albums, but I found them fairly bland to be totally honest. Nevertheless, this is much better than everything they've ever done. I think there's no question about it.

Voivod
February 8th 2013

Greg, in the recommended albums you should write "Slough Feg".

February 8th 2013

Lol. Fixed. Thanks once again.

insomniac15
February 8th 2013

Twin Peaks! It's weird to entitle a metal band after a girl's name, even if her character is really cool. I'm getting this now, Redemption Blues sounds really cool.

Digging: Mark Lanegan - Phantom Radio

chambered99
February 8th 2013

lemme guess this is in the vein of stoner rock/metal and black sabbath worship oh and also u forgot a .5 on ur score dumbass

chambered99
February 8th 2013

redemption blues is ok, production kinda sux tho

Dreamflight

The first paragraph is not entirely true, as far as I'm concerned. [2]

Le Fol is a great record too.

Anyway, so far this sounds really good, will probably lower it in the future.

theacademy

interesting take

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

February 8th 2013

I was sure not everyone would like the first paragraph, but opinions are opinions.

Jethro42
February 8th 2013

Excellent review, Greg. I really liked the link you sent to me (song The Open Sea, I think)

Killerhit

fuck yes

Dreamflight
February 8th 2013

Yap. And the rest of the review reads really great.

Thanks guys.

@Jethro42:
The Open Sea is such an amazing track, probably my song of the year atm.

February 8th 2013

Good point but when you look at the cover which is admittedly even more trashy than the new Voivod album's one, it makes you wonder.

February 8th 2013

I know. Singer/songwriter is a really good genre for me to branch out to be honest. I really enjoyed the latest records of Fiona Apple, Tom Waits, Lianna La Havas and some others I don't remember atm. So, I'm definitely fond of the genre.

Edit: And Stew! Why the heck did I forget about Stew? He's easily my favorite artist of this genre.

Ire
February 8th 2013

Audrey was the hottest one on twin peaks yea

February 8th 2013

I kind of noticed that too, but I don't remember the show very well tbh.

Thanks mods for featuring this.

kingsoby1
February 8th 2013

hey greg what does this sound like

btw i am going to vote for u for staff buddy. you just have to promise to review more hiphop