Algernon Cadwallader
Fun

by davygrohl USER (11 Reviews)
February 8th, 2013 | 7 replies

Review Summary: Algernon Cadwallader's short but brilliant EP breaches the releases of Some Kind of Cadwallader and Parrot Flies.

Algernon Cadwallader’s “Fun” serves as a transition in between their two LPs, arriving one year after 2008’s “Some Kind of Cadwallader” and two year before “Parrot Flies”. Both of these records are outstanding exercises in the emo genre, and it is amazing Algernon had anything of quality left in the vaults in between these two releases.

Even more astounding is that Fun’s six tracks contain perhaps their best known and most widely regarded song, “Spit Fountain”. It demonstrates that Fun resides closer to SKOC, retaining that record’s spindly charm. It also finds time to indulge in a little experimentation. “Black Clouds” is perhaps the least engaging song Algernon ever recorded, featuring a loping groove and an almost freak folk vibe. “Responsible Party” is tacked on the end and is a pleasant enough diversion; its reminiscent of the breezy cover the band did of The Beatles “This Boy”, featured on the Cover Up Compilation.

Like every other release Algernon put out, Fun is an essential listen for Algernon fans and general emo revival fans. While it serves as a sort of cleaning house for the band, the brilliance of the band still shines through like an uncovered light bulb in a basement show.

Old Gray An AutobiographySand Castles Sand Castles
1994! FUCK ITGrown Ups Hand Holder
CSTVT CSTVTdios trio High on Bikes

pmmets07
February 7th 2013

damn dude you're cranking these out. i personally don't give a fuck but i'm pretty sure it's site etiquette to not post more than one review a day.

i never even realized that spit fountain was so popular, when i saw them this summer i had never heard that song but everyone went buckwilde for it

GnarlyShillelagh
February 7th 2013

Yeah there's an unspoken rule about one day but more reasonably, you should wait at least until your
first review is off the front page before you submit a second one.

XingKing
February 7th 2013

Review is far too short, but I fucking love this band

davygrohl
February 7th 2013

Is it? My bad, I have been on a roll lately so I decided to rush a short one out. I'll hold off for a bit.

I personally think they have some better songs, but it is pretty damn good. The shout out to begin the song may be what does it for a lot of people. I managed to see them about two weeks before they broke up, dodged a bullet there.

davygrohl
February 8th 2013

@andcas "it's not every everlong" ha!

Spluger