The Blackout
Start The Party

1.5
very poor

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
February 7th, 2013 | 32 replies | 2,976 views

Release Date: 01/21/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: do you want to party

I'm not sure why The Blackout called their new album Start The Party. I think I know why. In the past, The Blackout have had a slight twist on their otherwise pop-y brand of post hardcore. The Best In Town was hard hitting and energetic, and Hope experimented a little more with atmosphere. But Start The Party has nothing. It’s just boring as-all-hell alt rock; the basics of the genre, the template upon which someone else with creative ideas would then work. When I try to envisage the scenario in which this album was conceived, I imagine the band half-heartedly mashing together the first sung melodies they can think up (making sure 30% of them are gang vocals) or rip off their last album (in parts “Keep Singing” sounds suspiciously similar to ”Ambition Is Critical”), some power chords (to fill the space) and some uninteresting guitar leads (to make the music at least seem like it has substance) before shoving the end result as quickly as possible through production. Then they realise it’s ***, so they try to squeeze in lyrics about partying and fun(!) to give the false impression of the music being interesting or invigorating. A bit like when you were 12 years old and you’d do your English homework in bubble writing to make it appear more exciting and thought out than the 15 minutes you’d spent on it merited. This is no Celebration Rock; honestly, if it weren't for the lyrics and that album cover I would never have guessed this was meant to be The Blackout’s ‘party’ album. With suggestions in the past that they aren't even responsible for some of their own music, it’s hard to tell whether they actually give a *** anymore.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark
Sky Ferreira Night Time, My TimeM.I.A. Matangi
The Weeknd Kiss LandNK Nothing To Be Gained Here
2.1
poor

This isn't very good

There's not much more to say about this

Digging: Gesaffelstein - Aleph

sixdegrees
February 7th 2013

knew this would suck when I saw the video for that godawful first single.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

Sanders
February 7th 2013

I can imagine the cover art is all I need to judge how shit this is

February 7th 2013

I might have been a bit harsh on it (I get carried away sometimes) but it's just so so boring ugh I want my catchy tunes

Sanders
February 7th 2013

I really enjoyed The Best In Town (Shutthefuckuppercut was a great opener), but not really liked anything they've churned out since :/

InfamousGrouse

Fish dishing out the 1.5s in recent reviews

I won't listen to this

Digging: Gillian Welch - Revival

February 7th 2013

I was wondering when someone would point out that I constantly write negative reviews

I don't actually like music

TwoMonthsInTheCold
February 7th 2013

Good review as always Anarchist. Band needs to die, I've seen them live 3 times against my will and they'e pretty boring.

Omeggia
February 7th 2013

What even happened to this band.. they used to write some catchy shit..

TwoMonthsInTheCold
February 7th 2013

They had some great songs on the album with STFUppercut, but the rest of their discography's meh.

thumbcrusher

band sucks

CasinoColumbus
February 7th 2013

Best in Town used to be my jam a few years back. Not even gonna bother with this massive turd. They were pretty good live though when I saw them last year.

thumbcrusher
February 7th 2013

i disliked everything i'd ever heard by them

neat review btw fish

IfYouRun
February 7th 2013

Band has gone so far downhill.

Would like to see about these rumours that they don't even make their own music though.

ButtsweatAndTears

Chlamydia > This

NeoSpaz
February 7th 2013

nice review fish, i wouldn't check this out ever, but you've convinced me to never give it a chance

sixdegrees
February 7th 2013

but don't u want to party?

NeoSpaz

no partying for mi

YankeeDudel

sounds rich and creamy

Digging: Soundtrack - Heavy Metal

February 7th 2013

This has been touched upon before