Red
Release the Panic

1.0
awful

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
February 7th, 2013 | 64 replies

Release Date: 02/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: R.I.P.

The reason Red’s fourth proper release Release the Panic is a complete disgrace to the musical landscape this decade, let alone, music, in general, consider how insulting it is to their fan base and discography up until this point; here is where I make some clever quip toward the album’s title and how said fans should indeed panic – mission accomplished. Anyway, take your pick which is the greatest blunder following the release of Panic, because they’re equal in damage and both revel in the same pit of despair. But let’s back up a bit; understanding why Red had some hefty weight on their shoulders preceding this album’s release we need to look at the beginning steps of Red’s slippery career. Starting with the “out-of-nowhere” End of Silence introduction to the band, we saw Red ride the coattails of more successful bands; they desperately tried to breathe new life into an all but disintegrated genre. Their heavy use of strings and a formidable front man all culminated into a stealth pick for “Best New Radio Rock Artist” from Billboard or Teen Choice. Yet what really cemented their name in the market came with Innocence and Instinct, a dark concept album that dealt with Dante’s Inferno accompanied with a deft blend of orchestra (nu)metal. A total homerun showcasing the best of what the band could offer: strong lyricism bolstered by a dramatic and exciting vocal performance that flowed sturdily alongside competent instruments. It was a solid one-two punch that left most cautiously apprehensive as to what the bands next move would be. Until We Have Faces was supposed to be the forgivable misstep in the elevating discography of Red not the hallmark of what’s to come. With Release the Panic Red have succinctly and resoundingly said to the world “Fuck you!”

Some will tell you there are a few gems to be found within Release the Panic. Others might even say that the second half is a complete turnaround that is the first six turds of the disc. You might, if you search online forums long and hard enough, even come across those that say this is a return to form and Release the Panic is Red at their finest. Don’t believe any of these people. They lie, and because lying is all the rage right now, they lied to you too. Release the Panic is what occurs when a band realizes their careers are destined for the same shithole as their idols. In this case we have Red and Linkin Park. I haven’t met a lot of people who listened to LIVING THINGS, but if I had to guess, I’d say we’ll be hearing that lazy approach to music again in a few years when Red search for some new sound to adopt. Calling Release the Panic lazy however would be an insult to those who actively search for ways to take lazy to the next level. There are dozens of familiar instances to be heard within the torturous forty minute aural assault among the bands small discography let alone the rest of their contemporaries’. In fact right off the bat the title track serving also as album opener is a severely less interesting version of “Confession”, stand out from Innocence, and hinders expectations without a nod of consideration to the listeners feelings.

It’s a tiresome voyage from then on. Panic gives no explanations for its trite execution, apologies, excuses, or rhyme for any of its reasons for being. This is what people heard when Red first came onto the scene, sloppy pop/rock that lingered on boredom offering nothing new. Where fans heard a band drenched with emotion and a sense for existing Panic sees the same band trying to compound on used ideas for the sake of having more music to fill the air. It’s scenarios like this critics rip apart acts like Papa Roach, Theory of A Deadman and Seether, all providing nothing to the stage they’re littering but daring claim that they’re worth their share of the spotlight. Say goodbye to the days Red touted obvious wants to be remarkable and say hello to songs like “Same Disease” a struggle-fest rejected Thousand Foot Krutch song – certainly uncomfortable territory. “Hold Me Now” addresses its crisis of believing it’s a The Fray song, and closer “As You Go” is the quietest way to make you forget you’re supposed to be listening to a Rock album.

There are a few directions to take this blame. The most immediate aspect missing from the old effective formula is the abandoning of the string section. Once a blundering force in Red’s sound it truly helped accentuate the band’s sound in all the more intense moments, and carried graceful melodies underneath the bands punch lead heaviness. And then there’s that heaviness; to avoid beating around the bushes, “Where the fuck is it?” and why was it traded in for this Daughtry sound? – Exclusion of strings and all. Admittedly, there are several occurrences where the band sound ready to fire into a fascinating direction, “Damage” comes to mind, but this potential is squandered by the need for repetition. A thoughtless hook wrapped around a lackluster vocal performance and consistency becomes the focal point of a limp excavation toward a dead and buried sound. It’s too bad too because the early stumbling of a band needing to redefine their identity has turned into a band dropping their face and adopting the likeness of all they initially stood out against.

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language
Code Orange I Am KingPyrrhon The Mother of Virtues
Cult Leader Nothing for Us HereChevelle La Gargola
2.8
good
Alex Beebe (3.5)
Moving out of their comfort zone and into new territory; though that territory itself is a bit overd...

SSimpossible (2.5)
An over-produced, almost painfully mediocre album, "Release The Panic" is Red's weakest effort to da...

Caleb C. (3)
Strung out....

February 6th 2013

what is this band and why should i care

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

19160 Comments

do not waste your time caring.

if you ever get a nu metal craving innocence and instinct is a pretty rad piece of work

Digging: Techno Animal - The Brotherhood of the Bomb

February 6th 2013

I doubt that will ever happen

bach
February 6th 2013

Feed the machine is a decent track

Digging: Mirroring - Foreign Body

20158 Comments

@Trebor, their first 2 albums are good but yeah this sucks

pos'd review was funny

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

GiaNXGX
February 6th 2013

going to check this asap, nice review.

toxin.
February 6th 2013

I've got a few things to say.
1) There are some things that need to be tightened up grammatically. I'll leave you to find them.
2) "Gone are the days Red touted obvious wants to be remarkable and in are songs like “Same Disease” "
That's not grammar but reads really weird. Gone are the days... in are songs? It should be more parallel I think.
3) This reads like a 1
4) You reference the fact that some people will say that the second half is better and say this is a lie, but you never really address the claim. What makes "more Red-ish" pieces like Glass House fail relatively? Or is that why you gave this a 1.5 and didn't feel the need to put this piece of positive feedback?

19160 Comments

cleaned it up a bit. about to go play ball so if there's more excuse me
thanks for calling my 1.5 out toxin, i'm probably going to change that. something about giving this the lowest score though just didn't feel right for some reason.

truthfully the only track that stuck to me at all, let alone the second half, was love will leave a mark, but other than this i didn't find a distinct difference in quality between the two halves, if there are even halves, it all seems like one big shitfest to me, i hope that explains why i didn't dive into that line, and i hope i conveyed that (i guess not though).

toxin.
February 6th 2013

Well I mean, the only reason I bring it up is because you specifically pointed out that some people think that the second half redeems the first half (or something to that extent), so it just seems odd that you wouldn't even mention, "Nope, second half is just a continuation of the first half's shitfest" or something. Either way, I pos'd now that that the rating makes sense. I loved I&I just as much, so I get your perspective on why this is just trash. I'm just glad there's some stuff on here that I can enjoy.

Calc
February 6th 2013

"The reason Red’s fourth proper release Release the Panic is a complete disgrace to the musical landscape for this decade, let alone, music, in general, is to consider how insulting it is to their fan base and discography up until this point; here is where I make some clever quip toward the album’s title and how said fans should indeed panic – mission accomplished."

this long ass sentence reads not so goodly

Scoot

PistolPete

kah-BOOM!

skoopy48
February 6th 2013

"There are a few directions to take this blame."

His name: Howard Benson

But yeah this is so disapointing, band through everything unique about them out the window here.

Digging: Horse Feathers - House With No Home

Funeralopolis
February 6th 2013

Fromtheinside you are seriously becoming one of my favourite reviewers on this site. Pos of course.

Digging: Owen Pallett - In Conflict

19160 Comments

"this long ass sentence reads not so goodly"
fix'd

and thanks funeral here's to more of your enjoyment at my expense.

PistolPete
February 7th 2013

Despite my average rating, I don't think a 1 is too harsh for this. This will probably be my most disappointing album of the year.

Kman418
February 7th 2013

Some girl from my school told me to listen to this cause it was the bands best album yet lol

Digging: Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

Curse.
February 7th 2013

Your really negative reviews are some of my favorites. You rage so eloquently.

aw, shucks.