Shone
Heat Thing

2.0
poor

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
February 5th, 2013 | 104 replies | 11,334 views

Release Date: 02/05/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A prime example of the fact that just because you release something unique, you have not released something good.

A lot of hype has been surrounding this enigmatic project, as the public caught their first glimpse of what turned out to be the band Shone through cryptic tweets sent out by bands such as Brand New, Manchester Orchestra and Thrice to name a few. As can be assumed after reading that list of prominent and influential bands the anticipation for this mysterious album began building. There was speculation that it was Jesse Lacey himself, as in a rare interview he discussed helping band mates Brian Lane and Vin Accardi record a record last April. It turns out that the only confirmed member of this project was indeed Brian Lane, but it takes but one listen to begin to believe the guitar being played is written by none other than Accardi. So with all of this hype surrounding a new band it was almost impossible for Shone to live up to it all. With their first release heatthing, we see Shone fail to live up to their hype and also fail to even write a cohesive album.

More often than not a band that manages to break the confines of a certain genre and create music previously unheard of is praised relentlessly by critics through their career. But with heatthing we are exposed to the proverbial “exception that proves the rule”, as Shone is able to create a genre-less album, but is unable to create an album worth listening to. The album starts off interesting enough with standout track Piano Wire Number 12, a track that, while containing nonsensical lyrics and obnoxious vocals that plague the remaining 8 songs, will without a doubt pique the interest of the listener. There is even a chorus that has a semi-normal vocal delivery, which is a welcome reprieve from what the rest of the song (and album at that) is plagued with nonstop. As the album progress the listener’s patience and acceptance for the ‘quirky’ vocals will inevitably wear thin. By the time Defender 237 rolls around it is without a doubt time for a break from the grating vocals. Serving as a much needed oasis, this instrumental track is a glimmering light of hope…Until the track ends and the listener is forced to listen to one of the worst songs they will voluntarily listen to this year. Baby Shakes (NU) contains, shall we say, the most ‘ambitious’ vocal performance of the entire record. (Rivaled only by the ridiculous intro of the album closer Bestial)

While the vocals are more than enough to send the most elitist hipster run for the hills, the lyrics being spewed are often times cringe-worthy. Take for example what is meant to be one of the most poignant lines on this record, as halfway through the previously mentioned closing track the vocals are silhouetted and we hear: What a poor situation humanity is in. You marry a man, you marry a woman you don’t even love and have a couple of kids you don’t even care about. Nobody deserves that desertion . With horrendous vocals coupled with lyrics that should have never left the warped brain of the man behind Shone, heatthing fails to contain substance.

But amid the murky waters of terrible lyricism and delivery there is something to take interest in. The sounds and noises created by the varied instrumentation do their job of at least maintaining a listener’s sense of interest, if only a tiny bit. With effects pedals and many non-conventional instruments Shone succeeds in at least that area of creating music. But it rings true that even with unique instrumentation there will be a genuine lack of interest if the vocals do not bring anything to the table.

Shone’s first release quite frankly does not live up to the buildup that surrounded it. This release is proof that even if you release what will undoubtedly be the most distinctive release of 2013 you have not released anything worth listening to. With French rapping and opera like crooning, heatthing is an album that is all over the place and it never manages to come across as a smooth, comprehensive album. One can only hope that Shone will eventually live up to their enormous expectations, but for the time being they are nowhere near the pedestal they created for themselves.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français
William Fitzsimmons LionsPrawn / Joie de Vivre Split
2.4

February 5th 2013

I can't believe i spent 20 dollars on a vinyl preorder. I was hoping this would be sooo much better. It's streaming on spotify if you would care to listen.

Calc

11938 Comments

i listened to one song from this 3 days ago and your summary sums up my feeling of it perfectly

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

Cygnatti

the cure and bn?

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

February 5th 2013

I was honestly excited for this release with all the bands hyping it up. I probably should have listened to it before i bought it. It's disappointing.

@cygnatti What? lol

Woo hoo! Second feature!

slipnslide
February 5th 2013

i like that song baby shakes i heard but i havent slept in a while so my judgement is off thx

February 5th 2013

I'd say take a nap and listen to it again. It's absolutely terrible man

February 5th 2013

Wow... I do not like this. Considering some of my favorite artists kinda influenced this/helped out
and such, I'm sad. For me, it's mostly the vocals. They're horrible.

Digging: Martin Grech - Open Heart Zoo

February 5th 2013

That's probably why most people think this album is garbage. Because they're hoping it will be somewhat reminiscent of brand new

February 6th 2013

I just can't take those vocals seriously. So bad lol. pos

Digging: Sallie - Moonlight Detective

February 6th 2013

Too theatrical sounding for me even if it had decent vocals though

February 6th 2013

If the vocals were good it'd at least be redeemable. Holy crap, like the person who mixed this could back and thought," Those vocals are prime." I mean seriously.. they're just bad.

February 6th 2013

there are a few cool parts purely instrumentally speaking, but the vocals are just too distracting to enjoy anything else that they might do well

omg the intro to Bestial

February 6th 2013

What is this. It gets worse every song.

February 6th 2013

I think a 2 is a little high. Wait until the 5th track and the 9th track. No redeeming qualities at all. It's kind of sad

February 6th 2013

...What if they were trolling the internet user base or something? I mean, honestly, the mixing really
sucks too... not just the performance. I can make stuff sound better, with my $30 USB mic and
Audacity, than the production quality that's present here. So, perhaps they were trying to screw
around with us? ... Especially since Brian Lane and Accardi may have helped with this and they seem to
be pretty solid musicians.

fish.
February 6th 2013

Damn, that artwork looked so cool as well.

Sounded decent til the vocals came in.

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

PorkchopExpress
February 6th 2013

I'll take the opposing viewpoint here. I actually dig this, and the vocals are a big reason why.
Reminds me a lot of David Byrne or Isaac Brock.

Still, good review, even if I disagree.

February 6th 2013

@northhouse I dunno man. That be a pretty elaborate and costly prank. I guess i'll find out when the vinyl comes. there's no way they'd press so many 'gag' records.

@anarchist I know! the artwork is what sold me on the preorder lol