Main Attrakionz
808s and Dark Grapes II

by Super Grover USER (32 Reviews)
February 5th, 2013 | 1268 replies | 22,608 views

Review Summary: You can't hate

808s and Dark Grapes II is like, 75% perfect. There’s a drop somewhere in between “Take 1” and “Perfect Skies” where you kind of forget you’re listening to Main Attrakionz and maybe pick up a nice book or something, but then that little cheesy piano sample hits and yep, it’s perfect again. By any standard of measure this is a substantial improvement over Kanye’s 808s, which is merely about 12% perfect.

But that’s irrelevant, because all things considered, 75% perfection is pretty damn good. These are fifteen little bundles of cloud-rap goodness all wrapped in haze and sprinkled with some slow-mo, scattershot flow.

Flow is the key word here, because if there’s anything that 808s does, it flows. In a world of Lil B mixtapes and 20-track rap albums, this is an impressively succinct, complete piece of work. For all the lazy, “just wanna put my feet up” images conjured by this brand of “cloud rap”, 808s is expertly produced. For all the haze in their beats and wobble in their voices, Main Attrakionz are airtight. You probably wouldn’t catch them saying it, but 808s didn’t happen by accident. It couldn’t have.

It’s that striking contrast between the near-amateurism of the lyrics--Squadda and Mondre literally shower listeners with “best duo ever!”s and “light some weed up”s--and the brilliant way their flow locks in with the production that elevates the mixtape above the swarms of Clams Casino and Friendzone-inspired efforts that are creeping ever-closer to the mainstream. For however long this trend lasts (certainly not too long, if the duo’s follow-up is anything to go by), 808s deserves to be the standard-bearer.

Friendzone DXThe Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle

Digging: Nipsey Hussle - Crenshaw

< 3

SgtPepper
February 5th 2013

I loved this album too. The review could use more touches on detail, but you're on the right track. Ill pos but I suggest you go
back and edit this.

robertsona
February 5th 2013

hold up i agree that this album is like 75 percent perfect but that is NOT where the drop is

chosen? paperwork? the second half of mondre momurda? cmon

iirc im not a huge fan of incredible or vegetables and some other track toward the middle

February 5th 2013

i really like 'incredible' but yeah i actually put the middle section in there first before changing it. which i suppose would lend credence to the argument that less than 75% of this is perfect but whatever it is perfect enough for me

February 5th 2013

also 'perfect sounds' come on man

robin
February 5th 2013

i love friendzone so much

chuch

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

because if** there’s anything that 808s does

FACT: this album is 100% perfect

would 5 if it wasnt for vegetables and paperwork

February 5th 2013

This review brushes the lyrics off a bit too much, considering just how entrenched in social politics these fellas are. Not to say they are political, but that they are observing life as a constant give and take to which they hold themselves personally responsible. Weed is included, but that is a luxury, not a lifestyle; as is self-aggrandizing. That is the biggest luxury they allow themselves on a mixtape with a song called "Vegetables" on it (green, amateur, nutritious; wordplay, bitches).

February 5th 2013

man do i wish you still wrote reviews

February 5th 2013

i was gonna say i'd really like to see that in a review

"just how entrenched in social politics these fellas are."

humor me; they are?

also thanks eagles will fix

Lucid

FACT: this album is 100% perfect

Couldn't disagree more with the assertion that there's a drop in quality in the section you mentioned. Also the lyrics certainly require more discussion, they are profound in their treatment of the struggle between the escapism of hedonistic pursuit (weed indulgence, chasing tail) and the consciousness needed to overcome that, to not "choose the dark." There's humility and thoughtfulness to the lyricism that puts this work above other cloud rap (most rap, I'd argue) and is why I visit it for introspection above anything else.

Digging: Braid - No Coast

I'm a diamond of God but a neighbor with Satan

Could be a role model, or roll whatever's right

February 6th 2013

different strokes for different folks. i'm happy we can agree it's a wonderful album.

i can't shake the feeling you guys are putting too much stock in deeper meaning here but it's certainly intriguing, gives a whole nother lens with which to look at this.

February 6th 2013

Um. "Diamond of God" and "Regrets" speak for themselves.

You are underestimating these guys. Just cause they are not eloquent (but certainly can be), does not
mean they aren't capable of profundity. They happen to filter observations (see: wisdom) through self-aware, 20-year-old bravado. It is entertaining and enlightening.

February 6th 2013

I mean shit, check out "Love is Life," off their label debut. They tackle ideas of legitimacy and credibility in making the music/promoting the lifestyle they do (in a scene that is currently making Chief Keef famous) while upholding greater self-reflections and open dialog with others: "I ask myself / 'How can I live if I'm not in prison?' / Drugs, murder, money and wisdom / walk before you crawl / talk after you listen."

porch
February 6th 2013

may as well throw your hat in the ring for contrib