Vorum
Poisoned Void

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
February 5th, 2013 | 31 replies

Release Date: 01/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Without a doubt a solid album, but perhaps only for completists.

Forming in 2006 (formerly under the name Haudankaivaja), Finnish death metal four-piece Vorum are one of the many emerging bands that fall into the category of ‘new wave of old school death metal’. Paying homage to the genre’s roots by going back to the more primal and raw sound of early 90s death metal, Vorum first made their real imprint on the scene with their 2009 EP Grim Death Awaits; an EP marked by blistering drums, heavy and distorted riffing and gloriously evil growls all to great success and recognition in the scene. Coming back after not releasing any material since 2010’s split with Vasaeleth, Vorum have released their debut album Poisoned Void.

Poisoned Void sees the band heading in a slightly different direction compared their earlier work with its cleaner, quieter and less fuzzy production, a larger focus on tremolo picked guitars and a less intense drum performance. Actually, the band seems to have toned down their sound a lot as the riffs feel a lot less memorable, all sort of melding together into a shapeless display of down-tuned wavering of indistinguishable notes. Though it isn’t all like this, songs like ‘Thriving Darkness’ proving to be a great relief past the halfway mark when it breaks down into a slower, more melodically paced section with its sinister guitar twists and drums that almost burst at the seams. In fact, almost every song on the album has its high points, the opener ‘Impetuous Fires’ having an elongated and deep, gurgled growl that just really reeks of filth-ridden death metal quality during on of the best moments on the album, really conveying a sense of urgency as it slows down with a bridge and blasts into a scornful scream.

At the album’s halfway point, the band rips into the track ‘Evil Seed,’ the highlight of the album. Opening with an utterly groovy drum beat driven by the ride and snare before heading back into the album’s over-arching fast-paced and repetitive death metal theme, then segueing into the song’s “chorus”, with vocalist Jonatan Johansson bellowing out ”Evil! Evil! Evil! Seed! Seed! Seed!”, without denying it’s a little banal, it’s just so deliciously memorable and fun. And before we reach the end of the song, ‘Evil Seed’ also features the most enjoyable guitar solo on the record, though that isn’t saying much as most of the guitar solos on this album walk a thin line between being enjoyable and being a detriment to the music. They’re not bad solos, to an extent, but they feel rather depthless and without ultimate purpose.

As it all comes together, Poisoned Void isn’t a bad album by any means, but by the end it shows that it doesn’t have much to give and aside from a few crowning moments, it all sort of meshes together. Not the band that flew out onto the scene a few years ago, Vorum have shown that with their debut that they’ve regressed their sound on almost all fronts, now just playing enjoyable death metal for die-hard fans of the genre. No more, no less.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
3.2
good

February 5th 2013

After listening to this album an unholy amount of times, my original impression has slowly degraded and I've somehow kind of come to resent this album. Was originally thinking a 3.5, but this just isn't worth it after I've given it so much time.

Feedback appreciated.

Hyperion1001

Digging: Monolake - Hong Kong

February 5th 2013

Hello, Hyp. I've been expecting you.

ViralOblivion

Good review man pos'd

xist
February 5th 2013

From what i've heard of this it sounds better than you've rated. Rather than standard Death Metal fare the samples sound really melodic in places, and potentially quite catchy. Amongst the sea of similar acts i think they stand out because of it.

February 5th 2013

As I said, I really liked this at first, but then I got bored of the repetitive riffing and found it lacking in a lot of places. But as I said in the review it really shines in quite a few places, but all over it's just kind of forgettable and nothing special.

February 5th 2013

the snox berries taste like snox berries

pos

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

SgtPepper
February 5th 2013

I thought this was pretty decently written. the cover art intrigued me, but I guess I'll steer away.
POS'd.

xist
February 5th 2013

I actually think this could be an excellent choice for an entry level Death Metal band. After listening to it all the way through it seems to tick many boxes for better than average DM.

ShadowRemains

no [2]

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

mindleviticus
February 5th 2013

"the cover art intrigued me, but I guess I'll steer away."

DON'T LISTEN TO SNOXALL

February 5th 2013

I liked it a lot at first, but it grew off me.

February 5th 2013

I didn't think this was bad at all.

February 5th 2013

It's not bad, it's a good album. Hence a 2.5 rating. It's not bad, it's just average for the genre and it's outshined by most other bands who play this style.

February 5th 2013

I'm just waiting for a stream for the new Portal so I can submit my review, album's pretty solid

February 5th 2013

The new Portal album is great, the production caught me off-guard, but the album's still sweet. I'm thinking a 3.5-4 for it.

February 5th 2013

Production's more-or-less always been like that though. A 4 sounds a bout right.

February 5th 2013

It's much clearer than previous albums.

February 6th 2013

It's better on a big set of speakers,I made sure my neighbours listen to good music, whether they like it or not lol

ButteryBiscuitBass
February 6th 2013

Well written review Snox. You told me enough about the album in strong enough detail to know that it's not for me.