Bullet for My Valentine

very poor

by KJ USER (32 Reviews)
February 5th, 2013 | 71 replies | 3,287 views

Release Date: 02/12/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: BFMV continue their plunge into the depths of irreversible failure.

For all intents and purposes we will call it the Nickelback model; the Nickelback model can be summed up as the act of expending as minimal effort possible writing a new record while simultaneously making sure the finished product has only tasteless and irrelevant subject matter. Bullet for my Valentine’s latest release, Temper Temper, fits this category like a stinky foot in a perfectly-fitting shoe; it is a lazy attempt at hitting the mainstream at large and achieving widespread commercial success like the aforementioned band; but unbeknownst to BFMV, they are in a tough spot because realistically they are too “heavy” (and I use the term quite loosely) to achieve that kind of success given the current musical trends in America. So, the end result isn’t massive accumulation of money, but rather a record of colossal failure and utter embarrassment.

Whatever first impressions couldn’t tell you, the music itself does at record pace. In case you thought you may have been hallucinating, yes, they seriously did write a sequel to “Tears Don’t Fall”; yes, there really are also songs titled “Livin’ Life on the Edge of a Knife” & “POW.” But on to the actual review we go. “Breaking Point” commences the album and wows us with lines like Everyone’s got a breaking point, don’t push me because I won’t back down. Even the quasi-breakdown is half-assed and uninspired utilizing a chugga-chugga groove that couldn't be any simpler. Throw in a robotic guitar solo and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.

The song structures are all precisely what we’d expect- rudimentary and predictable at best. The melodies are also much of the same, and Bullet For My Valentine aren’t even attempting to hide the fact they’re striving solely for commercial success. Temper Temper sounds exactly like their recent records except with even less effort put forth. There is virtually not a single innovative idea on this entire record which spans over 44 long minutes. Further exemplifying their lyrical prowess, or lack thereof, is the title track which poetically proclaims - Temper temper, time to explode (HEY!) Feels good when I lose control…Temper temper, time to explode (HEY!) Chamber’s empty, time to reload. Talk about cliché. Of course there are the obligatory ballads, one of which is “POW”, where the vocalist cries about who knows what; you be the judge - This feeling’s overwhelming, it just won’t go away, I’m captive in this nightmare, and this is where I’ll stay. The vocals are riveting indeed.

In closing, to call Bullet for my Valentine “metal” is to bang your cousin and call her Eva Mendes. It will be a glorious day when this band stops plaguing us with their putrid music. In the meantime, we can all share a laugh and toast to real men like Chuck Schuldiner, Dimebag, Peter Steele and all the other metal gods who had balls of iron and metal flowing through their veins. As the saying goes, "you can't appreciate the good without also experiencing the bad."

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Flaw Through the EyesClint Black Killin' Time
Nevermore Utopia (Demo)Soilwork The Sledgehammer Files: The Best of Soilwork
1.6
very poor

February 4th 2013

Pretty much as expected. A ton of streams now around the internet, so review should be Sputnik legal.

true

NocteDominum
February 4th 2013

Go edit dude, coding, wording etc.

someguest

20234 Comments

pos

Digging: Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

fuck yes

MO
February 4th 2013

lol that last parahraph, fucking excellent

February 4th 2013

"Go edit dude, coding, wording etc."

Yeah it's all fixed (unless you see something I haven't noticed).

ahahah those recs

NocteDominum
February 4th 2013

There's a couple here and there, but it's mainly conversational. Your comparisons and vague metaphors are excellent and like MO said that last para is great. But if you're going to list the track title "P.O.W" you might as well write them up the same way twice, just to clean it up.

February 4th 2013

Fucking fuck this is bad

Jacquibim
February 4th 2013

That first paragraph sums up the situation of mainstream "metal" perfectly.

pos'd hard.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

apert
February 4th 2013

album is so rubbish, pos

Digging: Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

February 4th 2013

should I even try to listen to this?

Probably not.

sixdegrees

RosaParks
February 4th 2013

ground breaking innovation in metal here

ok then. I'll check out the new Coheed and Cambria record instead

February 4th 2013

if you value your ears and sanity do not listen to this

apert
February 4th 2013

don't waste your time, maybe listen to tears don't fall part 2 to hear how much it shamelessly rips of the original song

February 4th 2013

Personally, I thought the title track was the worst; but then again it was a tough choice.