For All I Am
Skinwalker

good

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (198 Reviews)
February 4th, 2013 | 26 replies

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nothing special, but Skinwalker is some moderately enjoyable metalcore.

Metalcore has largely run its course. There’s always a chance that an emerging act will arise, revitalising an otherwise stale genre and improving the outlook on this particular sub-genre of metal. Alas, For All I Am’s Skinwalker doesn’t even come close to being the innovative release craved by many made hesitant by the genre’s stereotypes. Admirably, For All I Am (formally known as I, Artificial) maintain a consistent debut full-length and while it’s far from showcasing a group unlike any other it does manage to achieve a solid outing. Signed to Equal Vision Records this Illinois five piece present some formulaic, back-to-basics metalcore; the music plays hugely off a screamed verse to clean chorus to screamed verse broken only by the use of soft-ish interludes/bridges giving the listener a highly predictable structure shaping. Occasionally, the band finds themselves trudging along typical teen filled angst in terms of lyrical content but largely this doesn’t take away from this young, almost vibrant release. For example: “You think you’re so tough/ you made my life so rough” and “My bones were once made of glass/ Every day I used to break” don’t really do anything to promote the band as the intellectual type but the music does have a resilient, semi-feel good sound to it.

Yes, breakdowns are imminent at almost every point of the record but the album is far from a “junz-fest”. It appears that For All I Am can write and record a track without too much emphasis on the constant breakdown preferring to stick to the already mentioned formulaic routine. But, even this has its downfalls; sometimes the shifts between sections are abrupt, untested creating small timing issues, then resorting to one of the occasional breakdowns, this limits the band’s reception on a worldwide level given that the metal community would mostly prefer bands steer away from this conformity. At times the sections overlap but mostly it makes tracks just sound plain odd. Skinwalker’s ten tracks finish up just short of forty-minutes giving out enough material to get the band’s point across but at the same time ensuring the music doesn’t become “too” repetitive, over-bearing or altogether too much on the listener.

On the back of this release For All I Am has some things to consider. Namely, if they want to continue in the same musical vein they have built for themselves. Easily piled into the “Parkway Drive clone pile” with music familiar to many a metalcore effort across the industry, For All I Am are not exactly making any headway in creating individuality in a genre that severely needs it. For All I Am haven’t really been around that long and unfortunately it shows through their music. Overall, the music plays too safe, hopping from familiar territory to recycled idea. By itself it’s not actually bad, regardless the music is certainly far away from extraordinary. One day it could be that this new act may just hit the heights of the genre, although it is unlikely.

Eden Circus MarulaIn Flames Siren Charms
Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
3.3

February 4th 2013

First review on the new layout, What's up Sputnik?

Duckman118
February 4th 2013

I'm honestly sick of every metalcore review having the exact same first sentence. You could honestly say the same thing for every other genre.

lucasjcockcroft

this looks weird

J0ckstrapsFTW
February 4th 2013

Whoa this new layout is trippy as ballsack

Digging: ERRA - Moments Of Clarity

February 4th 2013

That line, isnt that common dude and doesnt work for a lot of genres. It doesnt matter that i used it except for the fact that im pointing out this style of music has been repeated that many.......... well you know where this is going.

GnarlyShillelagh
February 4th 2013

yeah old layout >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new layout if it ain't broke don't fix it

February 4th 2013

It looks good on the mobile phone.

TooLateToGoBack
February 4th 2013

Meh, this new layout sucks. The empty space on the right is really annoying.

February 4th 2013

Nice review. Will probably check this sometime in my life.

Pos'd

February 4th 2013

@Noob, yeah it's not bad -

Nice review. Will probably check this sometime in my life.

One of those days, shouldn't be too high on the to get list though.

Thanks Capitano : ]

Yeah haha.

I wish you had gone a bit deeper into the technical aspects i guess. Anyway it gives a great idea of what the album sounds like. Good ol' mid 00's Metalcore.

Pos'd then.

February 4th 2013

I wish you had gone a bit deeper into the technical aspects i guess

Can't really, you'll find out when you get around to listening to it.

Haha, i see.

February 4th 2013

It's like BFMV's Fever with a couple of breakdowns thrown in.

Eww.... why.

February 4th 2013

Now the descriptor in the review works for you don't it?

February 4th 2013

What's that mate? What are you referring to?

and

Yes, breakdowns are imminent at almost every point of the record

Michichachi
February 6th 2013

Unreal Tournament 2004 game of the year!!!!