TTNG
13.0.0.0.0

by Mike Denison USER (18 Reviews)
February 1st, 2013 | 26 replies | 1,287 views

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Much like 12/21: nothing special.

Attaching anything that hints at the Mayan "apocalypse" we supposedly lived through is nothing short of brazen in this day and age, considering that date had been beaten into our heads for at least a year. There was a weird fascination with that date in which everyone knew that nothing would happen that day, and we all felt good making fun of the people who thought something WOULD happen, but deep down, we kind of wanted the world to end, just for the excitement it would have created.

Conveniently, This Town Needs Guns' 13.0.0.0 bears its Mayan symbolism proudly, and ends up being a better metaphor for the 12/21 than one might imagine, simply because it's overhyped and a little underwhelming. I suppose the band deserves some credit for making a very technically proficient album so easily palatable; instead of joining the ever-growing list of "technical" bands who bombard the listener with their musicianship in hopes of winning the Most Notes Ever award, TTNG channels their skill into making intricate grooves. The problem with this approach is that the album blurs together. There's no denying the technicality, but not enough effort was spent on giving each song a unique identity or feel.

Of course, by the first two tracks, the homogeneity isn't obvious yet, and there are some enjoyable tracks. "Cat Fantastic" sounds like something Minus the Bear wish they could have written ("Red wine and tan lines color our differences...we'll be happy when we're willing") with Henry Tremain's smooth vocals trading off with Tim Collis's deceptively tricky riffs. "Havoc in the Forum" is appropriately busy, fueled by Chris Collis's schizophrenic drumming, and it's all the better for it.

But from there on out, everything seems just a little bit tame. "Triptych"'s overly long guitar solo is a buzzkill, and "A Different Kind of Tall (Small)" fails to capitalize on its energetic bridge, petering out instead of hitting its climax. And then there are the interludes. There are four of them. That's one-third of the tracklist; "Pygmy Polygamy" and "13.0.0.1" are worthless, and "In the Branches of Yggdrasil" and "Nice Riff, Clichard" feature some welcome electronic texturing but fail to develop the ideas fully, and none of them do the album any favors that an additional full song or two couldn't have done. Odd, then, that the album's highlight is by far the simplest actual track, "2 Birds, 1 Stone and an Empty Stomach." This delicate acoustic track is not only a showcase for Tremain's vocals, it shows his bandmates at their most restrained, and the result is a breath of fresh air.

Even with that in mind, there's simply too much filler here for this album to live up to its impossibly high hype. The top-notch musicianship is lost amidst all the undeveloped ideas, and there's a pervasive sense of half-heartedness throughout. There's little to nothing that's offensively bad, but I'm not convinced that this album is anything more than relatively pleasant background noise. And when I'm expecting the world to end, "relatively pleasant" just won't do.

Anberlin LowbornRise Against The Black Market
Bayside CultColdplay Ghost Stories
Save Us From The Archon ThereafterChevelle La Gargola
reggy (4)
The sound of a band reinvigorated....

Thomas Michael Morris (3.5)
This Town Needs Desensitization...

Jacob R. STAFF (4)
The guns are no longer necessary....

if i was staff this would be a 2.7-2.8 but hey

February 1st 2013

Nice review, man. You ever consider writing more?

I do gotta say, though, a couple of these criticisms are a little silly. Yeah, the interludes are 4 tracks, but they're so brief you know? Certainly not a third of the album

February 1st 2013

okay a third of the tracklist might have been clearer. still kind of felt like I was getting ripped off when I realized I only
had 8 tracks.

and yeah I consider writing more all the time. i just never find the time. but it's definitely something i should get back in
the habit of doing; i wrote for a couple other sites before sputnik.

edit: Oh wait, I originally said "a third of the tracklist." NO EDIT NECESSARY

February 1st 2013

Yeah, I gotcha. I just don't really see why that would be a problem. I do understand if you wanted more music from them, or if the quality of the existing content here is inadequate - the review just may be better off explaining that.

But I definitely understand where you're coming from with the interludes. A couple of them are so pretty, and then they end.

Aids
February 1st 2013

I don't really get the whole "Mayan prophecy" approach here so any criticism surrounding that is kind of moot to me. I can see what you're saying with a lot of this, but I still found it to be really enjoyable. Good review anyway.

GnarlyShillelagh

clever summary

Digging: Your Old Droog - Your Old Droog

GnarlyShillelagh
February 1st 2013

also excellent review, though i disagree

you should apply for contrib!

zxlkho

+3 Awesomeness Repels Water alone is enough to make this above a 2.5

Well written review although I disagree and think a 2.5 is kinda ridiculous

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

February 1st 2013

Gnarly: Maybe, if I had more than 5 reviews...
Zxlkho: It's average.
Eagles: It's an average album, it deserves an average score. (Though, as said, a 2.7-2.8 would be more appropriate, but calling this "good" seemed too much.)

zxlkho

your face is average

February 1st 2013

Comparable, yes. I get about the same level of enjoyment from all of them. (Though giving that Flobots album a 2.0 may have been generous, in retrospect.)

chambered99
February 1st 2013

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes times a million. this is the review.

chambered99
February 1st 2013

last paragraph hits it right on the head

February 1st 2013

"okay so based on your ratings this is comparable to Flobots, Linkin Park, and P.O.D.? Objectively there's no way this is a 2.5."

If he finds it to be a 2.5, then "objectively" it's a 2.5. This statement's just silly.

February 1st 2013

I mean all reviews are inherently subjective.

Here we go again Jacob ;]

Objective (adjective):
5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

February 1st 2013

It's impossible to write my opinion of an album and be objective. I don't see how it's "not objective" to give this album a 2.5 if I find it average.

February 1st 2013

We all know what objective means, no need to post it here

But music reviewing is all about opinions. We don't write reviews to cater to the average concensus here, just to state our opinions on the subject at hand. It's irrelevant what other 'ratings' someone has - we rate what we want to rate, whatever feels right. That's what music is about too, not "objectively" diagnosing each album with the accurate rating, but going with your gut