Nirvana
Nevermind

by Casey White USER (4 Reviews)
January 30th, 2013 | 73 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I don't mind, I don't mind, I don't mind, I don't mind, I don't mind, mind, mind, don't have a mind

Nirvana... Nevermind... ... Oh boy

Nevermind is, supposedly the epiphany of what true grunge music is, isn't it? Well, if it is, then I'm not a fan of grunge music. This album is as overrated as Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side of the Moon. Don't get me wrong, I like that album (I gave it a 4/5), but really, this album really doesn't live up to it's hype. It's easy to see why with the first 7 tracks, but the rest is pretty much garbage. to show you what I mean, I guess, here is a more "detailed" review:::::

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Kick starting the album is the song that probably everyone knows them by, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Not to be confused with "Smells Like Nirvana" lol) is an Awesome song, and is one of the best and most memorable songs on the album. The song starts with one of the signature guitar riff that we've all loved and is repeated throughout in the choruses although much "thicker" and grungy. The guitar in the verses contain a "watery" detached feel to it. Speaking of the chorus, the lyrics have some pretty sick as are the rest of the lyrics in the song, but in the chorus in particular (in terms of being stoned as ***). Because I love the lyrics of the song SO MUCH Here's the lyrics to the ENTIRE song:

"Load up on guns and bring your friends/It's fun to lose and to pretend
She's over bored and self assured/Oh, no, I know a dirty word

Hello, hello, hello, how low (x4)

I feel stupid and contagious/Here we are now entertain us
A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido Yeah! (x3)

I'm worse at what I do best/And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been/And always will until the end-(Bridge)

I feel stupid and contagious/Here we are now entertain us
A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido Yeah! (x3)

And I forget just why I taste/Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it's hard to find/Oh well, whatever, nevermind-(Bridge)

I feel stupid and contagious/Here we are now entertain us
A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido A denial - (9x)"

2. In Bloom - After "Smell..." we have another stellar, but not as good, song called "In Bloom". The song also has some great guitar work and a trippy "watery" guitar solo. Not really much else to say, except for an incredibly catchy chorus, and that the song is practically about (from my interpretation) a misunderstood teenager.

3. Come As You Are - Personally, I think the song composition with the quiet verses and powerful post-grunge choruses work the best with this song. The song has some amazing guitar work and the lyrics are pretty similar to that of "Smells like Teen Spirit", and as Kurt had once said that it's about "people and what they're expected to act like".

4. Breed - Somewhat similar to "Territorial Pissings", the song is fast paced with stellar thrash metal vocals. The chorus is very catchy and sometimes stays in my head for a while. The instrumental work is decent enough, and the lyrics are as nonsensical as ever.

5. Lithium - Personally my favorite song on the album. Again the quiet verses and loud ass *** chorus composition works really well on this song. Once upon a time, however when the band was recording this very album, Kurt was PISSED off at the band's slow progress. AND WHAT DID THEY DO!? They recorded this song all PISSED OFF and created "Endless, Nameless" (I'll get to that song later). Personally I think that the song is a story about a man whose girlfriend dies from an STD and becomes a Christian "as a last resort to keep himself alive. To keep him from suicide" -Kurt Cobain

"Sunday morning is everyday for all I care.
And I'm not scared. Light my candles. In a daze cause I've found God" = the protagonist becoming religious

"I'm so excited. I can't wait to meet you there." = The protagonist being excited to meet her at Heaven or at her house for sex.

"And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've heard. And I'm not sure/I killed you. I'm not gonna crack" = The girlfriend died from an STD that he gave her

"I'm so horny. But that's ok. My will is good." Ironic because his will gave in. My interpretation may be off, but whatever.

6. Polly - Nothing really much to say about this song other Quiet acoustic song. A welcoming change to the loud noisy "grunge" music that dominates this album.

7. Territorial Pissings - Thrash Metal dominates in this LOUD, FAST, NOISY, CRAZY song and is almost comparable to "Endless Nameless", except for the fact that the lyrics and vocals are more comprehensible.

8. Drain You - OK song with a decent solo in the middle, but pretty forgettable. The song is supposedly about his past relationship with a past girlfriend, Tobi Vail.

9. Lounge Act - A surprisingly powerful song, and one of Kurt's best vocal performances. This song is also about his past relationship with Tobi

10. Stay Away - All I can say is it's bland and boring backed with more nonsensical lyrics and unfortunately, the closing line "God is Gay"

11. On A Plain - Same as "Stay Away"

12. Something In The Way - It took me a while, but I finally got used to the song, and it's actually pretty good. The song is, surprisingly, beautiful with violins and cellos or whatever string instruments are used in the chorus. Supposedly, the song is about Kurt's struggle with himself and him having to live in his friends's houses.

12+ Endless, Nameless - The final FINAL song on the album. Again the song is Thrash Metal driven. This song is such a guilty pleasure of mine and it's so much fun to listen to, Cos it sounds like 3 people who don't know how to play the instruments they're playing and a guy whose COMPLETELY ***ed up of an assload of drugs while trying to fight a hangover. The guitar makes some trippy "Grungy" noises, and Kurt screams his voice off into oblivion. I mean The song is so laughably AWFUL. It's a wonder "Lithium" was produced from this garbage.

TRACK RATINGS---
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit (5/5)
2. In Bloom (4.5/5)
3. Come As You Are (5/5)
4. Breed (4.5/5)
5. Lithium (5/5)
6. Polly (4.5/5)
7. Territorial Pissings (5/5)
8. Drain You (2.5/5)
9. Lounge Act (3.5)
10. Stay Away (2/5)
11. On A Plain (2/5)
12. Something In The Way (4.5)
12/13. Endless, Nameless (0.5/5)

SO does this album live up to it's hype? Not really. Is it decent enough? Tracks 1-7 and 12 (and quite possibly Endless, Nameless) are pretty good. But is this album, as a whole, worth a listen? Sure. You could do much more damage to your intelligence and ear drums than listening to this album. The worst you really could do to your intelligence and ear drums would be listening to Lil Wayne's album Tha Carter IV.