Buke and Gase
General Dome

by Cam EMERITUS
January 30th, 2013 | 37 replies

Release Date: 01/29/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Brooklyn-based duo drop their weird, catchy sophomore record

On their sophomore album, Brooklyn-based duo Buke and Gase continue to expand their brand of asymmetrical, off-putting indie rock, peppered with all sorts of infectious hooks and riffs. The sound of General Dome is that of a female-fronted, modern version of The Pop Group, relegated to playing in a garage somewhere while an 8-track, stuffed somewhere in a corner, records everything that’s being played. General Dome has this sort of loose and improvisational feel, reminiscent of a post-punk record without a whole lot of the self-righteousness and seriousness that makes so much post-punk a drag to listen to. It’s the kind of record that makes people like myself--people who are constantly switching between listening to some cult obscurity from the 80s to the newest flavor of the month--get really, really excited.

The major drawing point of General Dome is its uniquely lo-fi production, which gives an added bite and edge to many of the duo’s songs. Vocalist Arone Dyer, whose untamed yelps and varied singing is sure to draw comparisons to like-minded singers like Karen O or Braids’s Raphaelle Standell-Preston, sounds like she’s recording her vocals in a wind tunnel, straining to be heard. Aron Sanchez, who plays a guitar-bass hybrid instrument called the “gase” (Dyer plays a ukulele-hybrid called the “buke”, both of which explain the band’s ridiculous name), creates an exceptional amount of no wave-esque noise to surround Dyer’s hooks with. Sanchez’s sloppy yet propulsive riffs are rough and grimey in the best way, and wouldn’t sound out of place on a DNA or a Sonic Youth record. These two seemingly disparate parts combine in an off-putting but refreshingly rough-and-tumble way.

Most of all, General Dome is simply a good freakin’ time: there’s no denying the sheer joy behind the R&B-influenced “Metazoa”, or the snarling and minimalistic title track. Even better is “Houdini Crush”, which noisily opens like a garage rock relic, then wastes little time transitioning into a wistful, surprisingly touching ballad, with a hook that’ll bounce around in your head for a while. The messiness of the band’s prog-meets-no wave songs is undeniable, but Buke and Gase are having too much fun to really care. And trust me: their good times are infectious.

Beach Fossils Clash the TruthBeach House Bloom
Sun Kil Moon Among the LeavesASAP Rocky Live.Love.A$AP.
Red Hot Chili Peppers I'm with YouBon Iver Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Riposte

SeaAnemone

20304 Comments

Cam likes this? Okay I'm in.

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

Asdfp277
January 29th 2013

Sweet cover. Good review.

I want.

Aids
January 29th 2013

"Cam likes this? Okay I'm in."

seconded.

also, the review is great, perfect length for an album review imo.

Aids
January 29th 2013

I mean if it was 4.0 I probably wouldn't have wasted my time but 4.1?!?!?!!!! well now.

TMobotron
January 29th 2013

General Dome is what I call your mother.

MisterTornado
January 29th 2013

Glad this got reviewed, great album

Brostep

Look who's back

TRMshadow

4.1. This is not going to die

StallionMang
January 30th 2013

Yeah, good review, but I've been wondering, how is it that you can do 4.1's and stuff like that? Is that new?

Digging: The Antlers - In the Attic of the Universe

MisterTornado
January 30th 2013

It's a new Staff-only option.

kitsch

sold

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

The rating increments are tipping me off. What just happened?

joshuatree

4.1 is clearly so much more important than a 4 guys

i think my next review is gonna be xiu xiu's a promise and i'm gonna give it a 5.2 fuc wtih me

Spare

o man a cam review

sounds good son

Digging: Best Witches - Wishes

kitsch
January 31st 2013

i had a dream i met up with this girl i used to know in high school and would play guitar with and we drove to indianapolis to see xiu xiu

IrrationalAnimal
January 31st 2013

What is the point of the increments being staff only? Because you know, I'm dying to start dishing out the 4.1's myself

irrevrent
February 1st 2013

I'm so glad this got featured. This album... If not for 2 or 3 songs I would have given it a 5.

bakkermaarten007
February 1st 2013

I so want that staff ratings option.

Irving