THEESatisfaction
awE naturalE

good

by hankdee27 USER (19 Reviews)
January 21st, 2013 | 4 replies

Review Summary: An album that easily blends soul harmonies and unique hip-hop beats, that are dulled down with well-thought out, but repetitive hooks.

awE naturalE is the first offering from Seattle hip-hop and soul duo, THEESatisfaction. When listening to this album, I think of the fact that I've established a good amount of knowledge about hip-hop over the last year or so, but I've not really touched soul music at all. Sure, I've scratched the surface of it at times, but I've never really gotten the chance to dive into it. You might ask what the point is of me reviewing this album, and why I even bothered to review it if I haven't listened to much soul music. Well, I'm pretty sure that if you at least understand why I hate or like a soul album, then I've got it covered. I already know my opinions, but I need to know why I have those opinions. I know what opinions I have of awE naturalE, and I've studied it carefully, and I know why I have these opinions.

The high-pitched colorful synths on opener "awE" are pleasing enough, that they directly catch my attention, yet the song is directly cut off by "Bitch", which isn't a flowing progression. There are some other points where it does this to. Not all albums need to have progression, but when you attempt to have a flow, you have to do it in a way that's not so annoyingly abrupt. I can't help but love some of the hip-hop beats and soul harmonies brought together, but I don't get why the hooks in the songs are so damn repetitive. It's hard to enjoy this set of songs, when they don't manage to keep me afloat, and not drift off in boredom.

The album has this problem, as well as its disjointed quality, but the ideas and hooks that are presented are great. Its a hard album to get into, that's for sure, but it's enjoyable enough if you manage to ignore the negatives. That may be a bit hard for you, seeing that the big issue with awE naturalE is that it doesn't know how to present itself in a fashionable, and accessible way. Its nowhere near terrible, but it will disappoint you if you're look something that has a ring of maturity to it. I won't complain when THEESatisfaction do mature though, because the when they make albums during that period, they'll be ones that I will not get enough of.