Amiensus
Restoration

Review Summary: A strong effort that shows quality musicianship and outlines the story of a winter voyage

The dead of winter was approaching and everyone had just finished their 2012 year-end music lists. Some people may have thought that they’ve gotten everything on their list that they believed to be the best of 2012; however, they may have been missing out on one little gem that would blow them away. But it was not their fault that they were missing this album because it was released on New Year’s Eve. The album cover of this isn’t the only thing that’s cold on this album. Amiensus’ Restoration is a powerful and durable progressive black/folk metal record that has incredible atmosphere and excellent musicianship, and is seriously a great way to finish the last day of 2012.

The style of music that is displayed on Restoration varies from black metal with low and high screams to very atmospheric folk. These genre transitions make it a very exciting listen as it never gets boring or tiring for the listener. The clean vocals on this are very reverberated and almost sound robotic as if they were blended with the low and warm synthesizer blurring in the background. The synthesizer is very subtle, but if you’re listening carefully it is very warm and relaxing and not distracting to the rich and powerful metal that is being absorbed by the listener. The synth doesn’t make this sound entirely symphonic or powerful - although a few songs have a very symphonic approach such as Morgawr -, but it adds another realm of beauty by making it relaxing and it contrasts the metal playing as the forefront. This fusion of different styles make this a very progressive album and the way that these tracks are put together so fluently makes it even more so.

The intense black metal sound on this album spurs from the song Millenium which features the lead singer of the symphonic black metal band Abigail Williams Ken Sorceron. The last 2 minutes of this song features some of the best black metal musicianship of this year with powerful deadly vocals and heavy riffage as it breaks apart from the 2 minutes of atmospheric folk that followed. Black metal vocals fuse with the harmonic clean vocals in the song Morgawr as the song would seem powerless without the prominent clean vocals. The folk – or ballad-like- sound on this spurs from songs like I Am, Healer and even Become The Fear, Deeper Than Blood. I Am and Healer keep this very calm and relaxing folk sound with enchanting clean vocals and droning atmosphere. Although, Deeper than Blood and Become The Fear have a very black metal sound, but keeps this folk metal edge as well with its drumming showcasing its influences from bands like Drudkh, Wintersun and Agalloch. The drumming, though, barely ever goes into the zone of blast beats – with exception of a few moments - and most songs relatively keep a medium pace. All of these songs are very well put together with songs like Millenium, I Am and Become the Fear reaching great and dominant climaxes that just explode in the ears of valiant listeners.

This differentiation and atmosphere in sound on this album give the feeling of being in a bright winter forest, like the album cover portrays. It has a very chilling sound and the cause of this is mainly because of the low brooding sound of the synthesizer. If it were on its own it’d be reminiscent of ambient music. Production wise, this album was very well put together. It isn’t raw or anything and it is very similar in style to another releases this year Ne Obliviscaris – especially with the song I Am with the introduction of violins - and Xanthochroid. The band members even express on their bandcamp how they would pass around instruments, so that they’d each be able to play at least one part of a song with that instrument. If only there was at least just one or two more songs or if one or two songs were longer to sooth the taste buds a bit more to make this album even stronger than it is. Overall, this is a very strong effort from a new progressive black/folk metal album. With captivating soundscapes, heavy song structures, fluent musicianship and incredible screamed and clean vocals, Restoration is not a record that should be ignored, especially at the peak of winter.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsTroum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)
Fennel Resuming the TrailRoots of the Sea Sky Without a Sun
Carbon Based Lifeforms TwentythreeAlio Die Deconsecrated and Pure

In short, I liked it.
Gimme a shoutout for any mistakes, awkward sentencing yaddy yadda

Stream here:

SgtPepper
January 19th 2013

Just started listening to the bandcamp stream, it's so good. Very melodic album.

Great review, Mindle. POS'd.

FrozenVain
January 19th 2013

I have only heard few songs from this band, but what I've heard was really really good. Will listen to this tonight actually.
Good review, pos'd

January 19th 2013

Thanks man! Yeah it's really good. I thought I was going to have to add it to the database but oltnabrick already did it for me. :] This sounds like something CaptainDooRight would really dig.

skoopy48
January 19th 2013

For sure gonna check this out

Digging: Horse Feathers - House With No Home

January 19th 2013

Yeah if you like folk and black metal you'd love this

oltnabrick
January 19th 2013

I added this lol pretty good album

someguest
January 19th 2013

I don't know if I'll listen to this album, but that is a great album cover.

Digging: Pet Shop Boys - Please

January 19th 2013

haha no lie I past by this album last night cuz it wasn't free

I was on a free album splurge but I remembered the album art

found lots of good stuff too,

anywho, nice rev Pos'd, also casually listening now and sounds dec

a 3.5-4 sounds about right for this so far

January 19th 2013

Artwork doesn't scream Agalloch ripoff enough.

January 20th 2013

Will download because it looks like a blatant Agalloch ripoff

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

January 22nd 2013

Wow, this was really really bad. And really cheesy too, especially with all the cleans and the guitar tones. It's like if Cradle Of Filth and Bullet For My Valentine were trying to make a black metal album with shades of progressive and (at times) power metal elements

REVIEW DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

MichaelSnoxall
January 22nd 2013

I do not doubt that this is probably very bad or at least very average.

January 22nd 2013

Shit does this mean I'm banned now?!!

I just love getting people's hopes up ;]

January 23rd 2013

So banned

caitanya
February 1st 2013

great review for an awesome gem of an album!

LilLioness
February 2nd 2013

I don't know whether to count this a '12 or '13 release. New Years' Eve is a bit too close to 2013.

February 2nd 2013

Glad to hear you enjoy it!

PortalofPerfection
February 3rd 2013

They definitely seem amateurish sometimes but they have a rather original sound/approach. Awesome vocals. I Am blows me away.