The Joy Formidable
Wolf's Law

2.0
poor

by sustainthesatan USER (5 Reviews)
January 19th, 2013 | 21 replies

Release Date: 01/22/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Generic, Unappealing and boring, this is musical regression in its purest form and the Joy Formidable should be ashamed of themselves.

The 2013 sophomore release from The Joy Formidable should be seen as a regression in musical integrity in almost every way. On their debut the Welsh trio managed to create a fun and catchy alternative rock band with dreamy vocals and catchy choruses, achieving high sales figures primarily due to their single Whirring. On the follow-up, The Wolf's Law, the band has stripped down their sound and created one of the most one-dimensional and boring releases of the year so far with dull instrumentals and even the vocal performance from Ritzy Bryan could not quite save this release.

The band essentially sounds like a second-rate Biffy Clyro without half the creativity or intelligence in the writing which leads to the album equating to a mismatched series of random guitar lines and a monotonous drum performance that keeps to one beat throughout almost the entire album. The vocal work from Ritzy Bryan sticks to a mid range with the occasional higher note thrown in and her vocals have been the highlight of both the band's releases to date. She carries the anthemic choruses to songs such as Tendons really rather well and shows that she can hold a note for more than half a second without her voice wavering which gives this band one more factor to play around with.

However the core problem to this release is not the generic music to it but is in fact the production work. The production is as thick and rough as it can be and it is not handles in a good way but in fact just makes the album sound like a jumble of random sounds. Had the producer actually put some time into his work on this release then perhaps it would be more tolerable (although still only in small doses) but every instrument on it blends together to make a wall of sound. The most noteworthy thing about this though is that when there is not a lot going on musically it manages to avoid being a session of complete ear rape as the drum and bass introduction to Little Blimp with Ritzy singing over the top shows. When the guitar and cymbals come in the song suddenly falls apart again but until this it had potential to be the strongest song on the album.

The guitar work on here fast grows tedious and tiring with the same repetitive chord based nonsense found on every single song with very little variation to it. This is an album that is about as generic as it gets and is clearly attempting to be the next big thing on the radio but fails primarily due to the production. In terms of actual musicianship this band just sounds exactly the same as every other band out there with their obvious influences being rooted in Scottish rock titans Biffy Clyro but only half as catchy. The choruses to these songs all have a hook to them that are easy to sing along to such as in the single This Ladder Is Ours but the problem is that to reach them one has to suffer through the rest of the music which is as sub-par as it gets.

Wolf's Law is about as much of a step backward as The Joy Formidable could have made, being poorly produced with a cymbal constantly clattering around that has very little of merit to it. Listen to the section at 1.30 of Bats for an example of how this band SHOULD sound as this is perhaps the one moment of the album that is enjoyable. This is not the worst thing ever made but it is as generic as it gets and therefore degrades to a snoozefest despite the obvious effort put in by Ritzy Bryan to create something worth listening to.

good
Ali CONTRIBUTOR (3)
A loud and distorted exercise in damage limitation....

larrytheslug
January 19th 2013

correct rating. these shit indie pop bands are taking radio airwaves by storm, and it pisses me off just as much as mainstream top 40.

January 19th 2013

Their first album was a great release-3.5 probably, maybe a 3 or if im feeling generous a 4. ill rate it later. Its a boring, dull album that just backtrod from everything their debut did

larrytheslug
January 19th 2013

im not even gonna listen to this. the debut was enough of a 2.5 to warrant not bothering.

AliW1993
January 19th 2013

I don't agree with this but I can definitely see where you're coming from with some of these points.

Reviews pretty good, though there are one or two typos ("not handles in a good way") and a few instances where you waver off track ("being poorly produced with a cymbal constantly clattering around that has very little of merit to it.").

I'll hopefully have a review of this up by the end of the weekend.

January 19th 2013

ill be interested in reading it dude

SadAndHolyGlow
January 19th 2013

I can't stand Biffy copycats. Great review.

Digging: The Icicle Works - The Icicle Works

January 19th 2013

This album really does come off as just too much of a Biffy ripoff. Biffy weren't exactly UNIQUE but this takes the piss-blatant plagiarism of Only Revolutions

January 19th 2013

"This album really does come off as just too much of a Biffy ripoff."

As a long term listener, I see no room for Biffy Clyro comparisons whatsoever. I'd be interested in hearing some elaboration. I personally find this a massive step up in quality from their previous work, but each to their own. Pos, although I obviously disagree with the rating.

MrElmo

1955 Comments

the debut was pretty fun but I won't bother with this

no i mean it ripped off Only Revolutions. and thanks for the pos (:

In what way, exactly?

January 19th 2013

the guitar style and the over the top nature reminds me a lot of The Captain in particular off that album. its just an opinion though and i respect your opinion on this aswell

HeyListen
January 19th 2013

I enjoyed Wolf's Law. I mean, it's not anything to write home about, but I didn't think it was terrible. Well written review nonetheless.

January 19th 2013

if the production were sharper (mainly on the fucking CYMBALS) then it would be much mroe lsitenable

January 19th 2013

I love the previous album A LOT so I'm really excited to hear this but damn I wasn't expecting a 2.

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

klap

disappointing

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

January 20th 2013

Their previous album was decent enough to listen to but this sucks