Dropkick Murphys
Do or Die

by Rudd13 USER (61 Reviews)
February 28th, 2006 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Face down in the gutter won't admit defeat though his clothes are soiled and black; He's a big, strong man with a childís mind, don't you take his booze away!

He's been at it for years drinking balls and beer he's a hero to most he meets.
But inside he cries black swollen eyes, this man he sheds no tears!

Now his wife and kids sing a different tune as they worry about their daddy dying,
But this arrogant fool breaks every rule it'll be nothing but pride that kills him.

Could he listen? No he won't!
That's all she wrote, he'll be dead before the daylight shines,
But the thoughts and prayers of a million strong might keep this fool from dying.
- Barroom Hero

Can you hear that? Why, itís the sound of sweet progress.
Itís the mid 90ís, and Hellcat records is just getting underway, and Epitaph hasnít seen any hot Oi action for long months. Somewhere in Boston, Massachusetts, among everyday civilians, laid the answer to a labelís problems. Friends Mike McColgan and Ken Casey loved playing music down in a friends basement, until they decided to give it an extra effort. They picked up guitarist Rick Barton, and ďpick of the litter" Matt Kelly on drums. Youíd guess by now, they picked up the local name of a bar, Dropkick Murphys, and began playing with the passion they are widely known for in that basement until daylight came, and wouldnít you know it, they got signed to Hellcat records. The Dropkicks mentioned back then that they liked to mix their own work with elements from classic punk, Oi, 80ís hardcore, and traditional Scottish folk music. Upon releasing their E.P, Boys On The Docks, the band met up with Rancid co-star Lars Frederiksen to chat about a full-length. In summer of 98í, the Dropkicks released Do or Die, the first album of itís kind, and one of the biggest punk romps of the 90ís.

Now, Iím pretty sure McColgan said it best when describing his band. As much as I fully respect debut albums, Do or Die takes some time to conquer, and it becomes some of the most straightforward punk out there, as well as some of the more sloppy side that Hellcat has released so far. It may not be the production, but the entirety and structure of the music. Itís been placed like this because it was always meant to. The production on this album is excellent, but the structure of the songs lack further knowledge that could have easily made the music a lot easier to get used to. This goes to show that you can be sloppy and still put out a breakthrough record.

Cadence to Arms echoes the trademarked Dropkick pipes, giving you a glimpse of what side the band can give an introductory track, before snatching it all away. The pipes are brought down by a heavy lick off Bartonís guitar, and while keeping the rhythm, the song progresses into the title track. I think this two-parter is genius, and is a must for anyone who has to start out. The player of the bagpipes, I could never figure out, and the instrument itself doesnít show up many times after the title clash-mash. The band gives away some of their more crafty use, and how far the use can go.

McColgan had the right idea. Do or die is McColganís first and last album with the Dropkicks. Hell of a way to start off the band, I say. If you take liking to sir Biafra from the 80ís politically-enraged Dead Kennedys, chances are youíll enjoy McColganís company on the album. Quite monotone, but very lively, crisp voice, and speaks of pretty much drinking, drinking, and then drinking in jail, among freedom, riots, and undying power. McColgan has managed to write two of the most easily acclaimed punk songs to date. Skinhead on the MBTA is a noise hurricane centering around a story about a character who indulges in his own sort of activities on his way from town to town. Barroom Hero is a chant-fest as McColgan preaches out the story of a drunk who has the biggest reputation in town. His medieval-lead on Far Away Coast is a different taste for Mike, and his leads to handclaps on the infamous Boys On The Docks shows that he can handle bigger tasks. McColgan is what started the band off for good, and in such a way, that his stuff is what all of the bandís later material may have rooted off of.

Now there comes a time
In every man's life,
Where decisions have to be made
Whether to toil, to labor,
Or just plain piss
Your days away, away, away!
- Caught in a Jar

Ken Casey is what did keep the band on its feet since members have left in a jumble. Bassist and co-vocalist extrordinaire, and a damn fine cocker-spaniel look-alike. Caseyís vocals are a lot raspy, compared to McColganís on the album, and standout a lot if you hear him on the parts heís assigned to. His bass-playing is well-heard when the music has a folk edge to it, and is at times drowned out completely on the cult tracks. Nothing is ever very complex, but keeps the bad tunes at bay. The rapid-fire Finneganís Wake, and Noble are highlights for his musicianship, but heís mostly recognized in the band to this day for his written work. Casey writes most of the music on Dropkicks albums, and puts the rock tunes together, as well as mixes them.

Rick Bartonís lines make the album. As a musicianship, he fails to show that thereís something thatís that more valuable in his playing, as he doesnít write his material. Get Up, Memories Remain, and the fabled, yet freakishly mystical Far Away Coast show off some of his more attended playing, and as well as maintaining a mean lick for the other musicians, he keeps the fury that McColgan follows in his singing.
Matt Kelly, as Iíve said before, is simply an orgasmic fellow, and ranks in the same chapter as Headon from The Clash on my book. Kellyís drumming on this album is a bit rushed, and takes the stage with the same fills at times, and signatures. Nothing excellent to start out with, but you can see progress.

Some heavy, some very laid-back, and some, sounding quite freakishly medieval. Do or die has since been known, obviously as the starting line for one punkís biggest acts, but also as an icon. The message of the album, is, Iíd have to guess, drink Ďtill you have to phone in for a new liver. Not a very good one, but youíd have to look up to someone of that caliber anyways. The album is quite the milestone for a starting punk band, and a forever undying cult objects for fans, and fans-soon-to-be everywhere. ďDoctor, youíve created a monster!"
As much as Iíd love to keep my liver, Iíll drink to that.

Did he ever return,
No he never returned
And his fate is still unknown
He may ride forever
íNeath the Streets of Boston
He's a skinhead who never returned.
- Skinhead on the MBTA