Vladislav Delay
Multila

by Jake USER (31 Reviews)
January 17th, 2013 | 93 replies | 3,794 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Life films us exactly. Our experience of it, though, lies beyond images and descriptions.

Vladislav Delay’s first real album Multila - other than his first real album which is Ele but that is more of an early version of his next album - is the sound of our earth before everything came to be where it is today. 3-4 billion years ago, when our earth was just developing volcanos and actual land formations, it was just desolate endless miles of rock, dirt and sea (among many other things as well). Multila captures the essence of when the most peaceful time on earth was, which would be before any life at all existed. In fact, hypothetically, if anyone were to go back in time and be able to inhabit in the times before human beings were even thought of, it would be very peaceful indeed. However, without anything to do on this desolate landscape, it would seem pretty dull, which is exactly what this album was aiming to sound like. I’m not implying that dullness is a bad thing, in fact, quite the opposite; the dullness and meandering of this album makes it the beautiful masterpiece that it is today and it goes down in history for being one of the most overlooked albums of all time.

This album has a much more muffled sound from what Vladislav Delay currently makes (especially on releases like Kuopio and Vantaa), taking very minimalistic soundscapes and throwing ideas all around with production that sound as if it was recorded underwater. At times it may seem like a song is actually going to acquire a legitimate beat, (excluding the 3rd track Huone) but it disintegrates into a jagged muffled mess of clicks and cuts before you have time to question it. For those who enjoy extremely minimal ambient music, this is one of Vladislav Delay’s more accessible albums, but for an average listener, it is largely inaccessible. For those who want to be blown away with sounds that will take them to whole different realms of the earth, just listen to this album.

The album starts off with the first two tracks Ranta and Raamat, and these are very unfriendly songs to the listener, displaying a sound that will most likely continue throughout both of the entire tracks. Keeping the mindset that this is supposed to sound very lonely and desolate, this is exactly what you get. These two songs are completely void of any life; they are extremely minimalistic and muffled as different sound effects click and float around in the sound. Its overwhelming atmosphere and extremely grey and dull approach make this one of the most comfortable listens ever if you’re in the right mood. The third song on the album Huone is a 23 minute minimal techno song that has that same muffled approach as the first two songs, but its sound is almost identical to the sounds that he was making as Luomo. It is almost phenomenal how much of a stretch this song is compared to the first two songs and why he decided to put an outlier track on this album is something we might never figure out.

After this song, this album just turns unbelievable. As he abandons the minimal techno sounds of Huone, we are introduced to the song Viite which is the song that features weird sound effects like a volcano spouting hot lava from its tip. It also introduces higher notes which kind of ruin the consistency of the low brooding notes we were used to hearing on the first 3 songs, but in no way does it not make it any less strong or uninspiring, it is still an extremely beautiful song with bass that rumbles into our cortex and a droning sensation that goes on for the 7 and a half minute duration.

Karha, Pietola and Nesso are the best songs on the album and perhaps the greatest songs of all time and there is no debate here. Karha introduces a very muffled, warm and beautiful arrangement of notes that sink themselves deep within our consciousness. Describing the experience with the last 3 songs is almost indescribable because of their redefining beauty. These songs are completely void of all life and are the most calming, intriguing and beautiful pieces of music ever written as it has a further seducing nature into this amazingly warm, grey ambient reality. Listening to these last 3 songs make us understand just how insignificant we are in this world and how alone we are in the universe. It doesn’t matter how many times you listen to it, the experience will leave an ever lasting impression on your psyche and will alter the way you see the world. Pietola starts with one note and then its overwhelming bass and driving warmness have a hypnotizing effect to keep you engaged and amazed for the 16 incredible minutes it provides with sound effects that sprawl and scatter themselves all over it. Once it’s over you’ll want to hear it again many times. Nesso reinforces this fact of being completely alone as it shines this one note and repeats it throughout using weird unorganized drum patterns in the background thus ending this masterpiece.

When hearing an album as beautiful as this, try picturing the world around you becoming distorted and fuzzy and appearing in only one colour: grey. Your mind won’t be able to tell what reality is and what fiction is. You’re in the most comfortable position imaginable, lying on a grey floor in a warm place with a slight breeze hitting your face every so often. As many different minimalistic blank objects swift across your vision, they become blurry as you start to understand what it felt like when the earth was quiet. Or you could picture yourself sitting in a steam sauna inhaling just mountains and mountains of hot air getting the feeling of complete tranquility.

It is a miracle and and it is borderline indescribable. It was extremely hard for me to make a review of this album. It required countless listens to fully comprehend what sort of feeling Vladislav Delay was going for. There isn’t a single album that I’ve heard that sounds so desolate and void of anything than this one. This is an album you truly have to hear to believe. It allows you to make up your own scenario and stories for whatever is being displayed on here and it penetrates your thought process completely making it utterly dominated. Its extremely relaxing and bubbly, muffled heavy bass nature is just entrancing and it is essential to the feeling of desolation, isolation and loneliness. The sound effects that surround the bass heavy muffled synthesizers are very abstract and glitch. They spiral around and smack against our eardrums with enough force to captivate us thoroughly, and they get better the more you listen to it. Each time you listen to this, there will be something new to absorb, so take your time with it. This album is not only a treat for your ears, but also for your soul. After you’ve heard this your soul will be full of all sorts of wonderful sounds and it will be full for a long time. Once you’ve heard this you will never ever want to forget it. Listen to this now.

Troum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)Fennel Resuming the Trail
Roots of the Sea Sky Without a SunCarbon Based Lifeforms Twentythree
Alio Die Deconsecrated and PureThe Haxan Cloak Excavation

January 16th 2013

Gimme a shoutout if you guys see any mistakes or if I have any awkward sentences and whatnot.

Listen. Now. You will not regret it. My recommendation is to listen to this at night.

Karha - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPw99GwNBVA
Pietola - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27cRBSRHJg
Viite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoBNPv7RVI
Huone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWZHOjfIxqk

Calc

11944 Comments

"In fact, hypothetically, if anyone were to go back in time and be able to inhabit in the times before human beings were even thought of, it would be very peaceful indeed."

I highly doubt this..

good review though!

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

pos pos pos pos

best album ever

Digging: Cecil Taylor - Dark to Themselves

January 16th 2013

Havey, man. This took me so damn long to think about. I thought about what you said about not rushing it and I just had to listen to it like 5 more times after you said that to compile all of my thoughts.

January 16th 2013

Also, do you understand where the summary comes from? ;]

will i like this

January 16th 2013

I deja vu'd hard when I first read the summary but then I remembered that it's from the freakin album lol

Karha truly is one of the best songs ever

January 16th 2013

do you like minimal techno gian

January 16th 2013

@GiaNXGX Just check out some of the links I posted and if it tickles your fancy then get it
immediately. And yeah Karha a/

January 16th 2013

not much but i once in a while dig villalobos and pan sonic. more into ambient with dub injected right into tha veinz

Listen to the LINKS!

January 16th 2013

kkk, oh wait... Is that three okays or ku klux klan? nevermind

There is only 1 minimal techno song on the album. And yeah listen to Karha

January 16th 2013

eh i always think minimal techno when I think of Vladislav Delay but i guess this one's practically ambient

Huone is awesome

January 16th 2013

there are better tracks on here than Huone though ;)

Karha and Pietola blow Huone right out of the water