Terra Terra Terra

good

by Will Robinson STAFF
January 14th, 2013 | 5 replies | 1,204 views

Release Date: 01/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Quality pop rock hidden behind cliché introductions.

Though the recording of an album is usually a long, grueling process, as a music fan it can be tough to understand what the average group is going through when they put in long week after long week in the studio, making sure the final product gleams. The idea of recording the same part over and over again for hours on end is something that has to be experienced to fully understand, and as a listener who will typically listen to an album for less total time than a full day of recording for that album that concept is a tricky one to comprehend. We often barely bat an eye when an artist releases three albums in as many years, and we react similarly when a group takes five years to make sure their final product is exactly right. So, when Terra Terra Terra advertises their new album, The Space We Create, as a process that has taken a year and a half to "bubble up into fruition," it's tough not to ask, "So what?" The whole idea of the "12-hour studio days" which Terra Terra Terra put in to ensure the best album possible seems almost cliché because it feels like it's something any artist could do, and it doesn't really separate Terra Terra Terra from the other pop rockers out there.

This introduction is especially appropriate for describing The Space We Create, as it's an album whose quality is absolutely present but unfortunately hidden behind quite a few pop rock clichés, almost like the ones used to describe the album. What's most frustrating about the release is the meat of almost every song is hidden behind a cookie-cutter introduction. It's not that the intro sections are bad, but it just feels like they're something we've all heard before. The simple guitar plucking at the beginning of "The Only One" almost ruins the song thanks to how formulaic it is, which is really unfortunate because every other verse and chorus in the song is exactly what anyone could want from a well-done pop rock tune. Similar things happen on "Someone Like You," "Burn," and especially the titular album closer, noteworthy because of a somewhat boring introduction which leads into one of the best anthemic choruses to come out in quite a while. The fact that such quality sections are almost always nestled snugly behind unimpressive ones is unfortunately damaging to the album as a whole.

That's not to say the album is bad - it's a very solid pop-rock album, and there are definitely songs which break away from the unfortunate cycle described above. "She Was...Disarming" is one of the standout tracks because it's got a catchy middle and end which are actually backed up by a good introduction. "Angel" is similar: though it's not a totally new idea, the song feels fresh and fun with its sing-along choruses and super-catchy setup. It's just a little bit frustrating to see those arduous 12-hour days and the difficult year-and-a-half writing and recording process come off as formulaic like they did in the album's press release, formulaic like the mundane "whoa-oh" sections of "Crash" and the intro sections of most of the songs on the album as a whole. The Space We Create is a good album, make no mistake - it's just a shame to see the best parts hidden away behind clichés like the ones used to describe the album in the first place.

Rustie Green LanguageThe Bug Angels and Devils
Venetian Snares My Love Is A BulldozerSeven Lions Worlds Apart
Big Freedia Just Be FreeSam Smith In the Lonely Hour
good

January 14th 2013

Originally posted at www.muzikdizcovery.com, album streaming at http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/4

This album's a high 3 but unfortunately I couldn't give it any more than that, no matter how much I want to like it. As someone from AbsolutePunk put it, Terra Terra Terribly Generic is more like it.

SgtPepper
January 15th 2013

I havent heard this, and by the way you describe it, I doubt I will. But the review was good. POs'd.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

January 15th 2013

I mean it's worth a listen if you like pop rock at all, but I doubt you'd like it much judging by what I know you like.

Omaha
January 20th 2013

"We often barely bat an eye"

Could be trimmed down. The 'often' probably isnt necessary

"it's an album whose quality is absolutely present but unfortunately hidden behind quite a few pop rock clichés"

You could take out 'absolutely' and 'unfortunately,' it feels a little bloated otherwise. Also, I'm not sure it makes too much sense to say the quality's absolutely present. Know what I mean?

"which is really unfortunate because every other verse and chorus in the song is exactly what anyone could want"

Here I'm sure why you specifically mentioned the verses and choruses, but you could say 'the rest of the song'

"a somewhat boring introduction which leads into one of the best anthemic choruses to come out in quite a while."

One of the best to come out in quite a while? That's really hyperbolic, and probably not true. You should find a way to phrase that more accurately.

"it's got a catchy middle and end which are actually backed up by a good introduction."

I think I mentioned this last time, but instead of saying it has a good introduction you could maybe say it's memorable, fresh, or powerful, etc. to portray the part more accurately

Another little thing I noticed is that your final lines of the second and third paragraphs are similar, with the whole 'hidden behind' idea. It's good to have recurring themes, but maybe you could switch up the wording a little more the second time around to keep things fresh.

Overall really good work, and the first paragraph definitely works much better. You do a really good job of explaining the problem in para. 1, and it's clear you put a lot of effort into it too. Honestly though, man, I want you to cover something in your electronic domain soon. You always do a good job with other genres, but I always love seeing you in your comfort zone too. Just be sure to mix in things you like, or want to talk about, to your reviewing material =]

January 23rd 2013

Thanks a ton for the feedback Omaha! And my next review won't be electronic (it's gonna be a great little punk EP I've been planning out for a month now) but expect at least some in February.