RXYZYXR
LMNTS

2.0
poor

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
January 10th, 2013 | 33 replies

Review Summary: And so it came to be, they replaced all the vowels with filler tracks. And we saw that it was not good.

I like to believe that every fad has its expiry date. There will be a point where the hype will quickly die down and people will move onto the next meaningless and bothersome clique to follow. The progressive metal movement of “djent” is one of these fads, and it doesn’t look like it’s dying down anytime soon. The guitar tone and playing style developed by Meshuggah’s guitarist is now what we have all come to know as “djent,” and has been adopted by metal and metalcore bands worldwide in more recent times. It’s a little disheartening that all we qualify as true progressiveness these days is becoming less special as any boy and his equally talent-less friends come together to rip off Meshuggah’s guitar tone with none of the recognisable song-writing, creativeness or ingenuity. This isn’t progressive, this is just kids with no idea what they’re doing spamming random notes in time signatures they’re unaware of. Maybe you could say that statement’s a little ignorant, but it really bothers me how rare actual progressive metal bands are becoming, or at least how well hidden they are in the very colourless spectrum of chugs and lugs. This is where I introduce “progressive” metal band RXYZYXR to you...and just like all their predecessors, they bring absolutely nothing new to the table.

RXYZXYR’s debut album LMNTS is the ultimate exercise in violently stroking the shaft of Meshuggah’s legacy. Unlike the other slew of bands using the “djent” sound, RXYZXYR goes as far as to actually try and be Meshuggah incarnate, by emulating everything from song-structure, riffs, drums, vocals, bass and the obvious guitar tone. Of course, they can’t get anywhere by blatantly ripping off another band completely, they need to add other elements, like, say, clean vocals. And typical melodic sections could possibly accompany these clean vocals. Maybe, just maybe, these vocals and melodic sections could be an attempt to be Karnivool’s kid brother. Honestly, there isn’t much more to say about LMNTS, as I believe that about sums it up, but I’ll try.

The harsh vocals are incredibly weak, holding little power or urgency and they just become background noise that burn out between the same repetitive chug they’ve been milking for nine minutes. That’s the entire formula for each song on this album: repetition. Not in a good way, as RXYZXYR has no clue about how to use repetitiveness to be an advantage. The same guitar riffs, that are almost identical from song to song, are eventually just blurred out and you forget you’re even listening to anything. The harmonious guitar solos and riffs they try to change it up with don’t help as they’re identical and typically repeated at two-minute intervals. The clean vocals are weak and generally un-enjoyable, very much mirroring their harsh counterparts. Progressive clichés are littered throughout the record, with an attempt at a jazzy bass line to open a song, a breakdown into acoustic melody and a guitar solo, a section exactly like the acoustic breakdown and guitar solo, but instead of being acoustic, it’s simply electric. Hell, they even brought in a predictable female vocalist to seem diverse.

Even though this is still predictable and utterly unoriginal in all aspects, RXYZXYR has astoundingly surpassed all its peers who follow the “djent” movement, but then again, that isn’t much of an accomplishment in itself. I admit that the guitarists do have technical talent and when they’re writing actual clean riffs, they aren’t all that deplorable, and the bassist seems to know what he’s doing. But when it all comes down to how unabashedly proud this album is of itself, it’s absolutely riddled with filler songs. One being a six-second track titled, and I *** you not, ‘Just Because.’ That’s it folks, I’m done. I’m out. I can’t take this anymore.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
3.3

January 10th 2013

Gave it an extra .5 on the rating because hey, at least it's better than Periphery. Also, this is my most informal and rant-like professional review so far. This album really annoyed me.

Jacquibim
January 10th 2013

Pretty ranty, agreed. But you got your point across, pos.

Won't be listening to this, I guess.

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

January 10th 2013

If you dig djent, you'll probably like it. Periphery make these guys look like Meshuggah.

Bleh.

Jacquibim
January 10th 2013

How do you enunciate that name anyways?

rixyzixor idk

January 10th 2013

The guy who made the album told use how to pronounce it in another thread, but I forgot. It's not Rixyzixor, which is what I imagined it was.

MO

19077 Comments

yea nothing special here more djent gayness

chambered99

good review

Gonna go jam I now.

slipnslide

love that summary

BigRedSofa
January 10th 2013

What a horrible band name haha

Nikkolae
January 10th 2013

"Even though this is still predictable and utterly unoriginal in all aspects, RXYZXYR has astoundingly surpassed all its peers who follow the “djent” movement, but then again, that isn’t much of an accomplishment in itself."

this so much, review was pretty harsh, i dunno, i quite liked this but yes it is pretty much a Meshuggah copy-cat in every sense of the word.

Digging: Modern Witch - Unknown Domain

YankeeDudel
January 10th 2013

when the guy needs to tell you how to pronounce the name and you still dont know you know the name rules

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

InFiction
January 10th 2013

Good review man. It does come off a bit like a rant, but for an album that's bad, that also says all we need to hear. Pos'd. Album sounds pretty lame.

Yeah this is ass

GnarlyShillelagh

badbadnotgood

January 10th 2013

ghost negs damn. But yeah, album's not good.

tempest--
January 11th 2013

This album has a Sputnik user on it, doesn't it?
If this was 2011, where I just downloaded any half decent djent, I would probably get this but ehh.
Review was well written I guess, so pos, but yeah, very rant-y.

oltnabrick