Marilyn Manson
Smells Like Children

by Casey White USER (4 Reviews)
January 10th, 2013 | 8 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

For the sake of this album having a review, I'm gonna review this I mean 325 people rated this album and there has been no review so...

Smells Like Children (not to be confused with "Smells Like Teen Spirit") is mostly just a Remix/Cover album. The first Interlude (the only real original works by MM) is disturbing yet gripping; they really set a mood for the album and even kinda Foreshadows his future music in terms of mood and lyrical content in a way. The rest of the interludes are annoying and redundant (although for all the perverts out there, you may enjoy "*** Frankie"). Originally "Abuse, Part 1 (There is Pain Involved)" and "Abuse, Part 2 (Confessions)" were tracks 1 and 10 but were replaced with "The Hands of Small Children" and "May Cause Discoloration of the Urine or Feces" because they were deemed too controversial and disturbing.

The covers for "Sweet Dreams" and "Rock n' Roll ******" are, in my opinion, much better than the original, whereas the "I Put a Spell on You" is a bit too much for me. "Sweet Dreams" starts out slow with Manson's signature death metal style vocals and gripping, catchy guitars. The song really goes to an all time high with the guitar solo before the final verse. Definitely the best song on the album and one of his best in his career. "Rock n' Roll ******" has Manson yelling at a crowd at the beginning of the song "And the world spreads its legs, for another ***ing star, 'CAUSE I AM THE ALL-AMERICAN ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR", a definite foreshadow for his next album.

The remixes on the album are, of course, from their debut album Portrait of an American Family. In my opinion, though, I hated that album; the only songs that I liked were "Cake and Sodomy", "Lunchbox", and "Get Your Gunn". However, the remixes really just appeal to me. The "Diary of a Dope Friend" (not to be confused with Diary of a Wimpy Kid) and "Dance of the Dope Hats" are actually quite better than the original, "Dope Hat". The remix for Organ Grinder, "Kiddie Grinder" really emphasizes the industrial sound of the song and is also better than the original. "Everlasting Cocksucker" also better than the original, "Cake and Sodomy" and in my opinion the best remix on the album. Finally and Definitely the least, "White Trash". Is it supposed to be a remix or some guy doing a cover for the song!? The song has a country flavor to it and, personally, I'm biased against country music so, of course, I hate that song or whatever the hell you want to label it as.

If you haven't heard this album yet I honestly don't whole heartedly don't recommend this album unless you're, well, a Big MM fan like I am.

Full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPE1XehbAtM

3.5/5

P.S. I forgot the password to my previous account MYMOM143 so this isn't my first review but my 2nd (1rst one being "The Eminem Show")

2.7
Jacob Russell (1.5)
One of the band's biggest songs came from this, but is there anything else worth listening to on her...

LPFTW
January 9th 2013

Hope u people Like the review

Digging: Joy Division - Closer

misterbananagrabber
January 9th 2013

I've only heard the remix of "Organ Grinder" but was too lazy to listen to the rest. And of course
"Sweet Dreams." But I should listen to the whole thing some day.

15. Rock And Roll Nigger

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

insomniac15
January 10th 2013

I really like Portrait Of An American Family.

Digging: Stonebride - Heavy Envelope

linguist2011

1925 Comments

Interestingly this was the first MM album I ever listened to. My dad played it constantly when I was about 5, and I became hooked instantly. 'Diary of a dope fiend' is particularly batshit crazy.

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

BlackLlama
January 10th 2013

I was 18 when this came out and was more into death, punk and hip hop. I didn't enjoy this then, and a fresh listen confirms I still don't now :D

I did enjoy some of his later offerings however.

greencorn5
January 10th 2013

Portrait was the only album of Manson's that didn't come off corny to me.

LPFTW
January 11th 2013

I have a feeling that this is a bad review...