Tankard
Chemical Invasion

by BlackLlama USER (37 Reviews)
January 9th, 2013 | 9 replies | 1,159 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What do you get when you combine a few twelve packs of cold domestics and some of the best thrash this side of the Berlin wall?

Well, I’m not sure either, but Tankard has the solution on lockdown. Thrash metal, in its purest form is a juvenile, drunken affair. German metal outfit Tankard has had that formula down pat for the past 3 decades (and going). I’m pulling a dusty one out of my vinyl collection for review tonight. And what a release! With the current glut of revival thrash bands hitting the scene it’s sometimes hard to remember that everything cool has been done before, and most likely better by another band. After listening to a friend discourse about current thrash outfit Alcoholator, like a magician I pulled this gem out of the archives and blew him away.
Largely flying under the radar in 1987 Tankard released the riff fest that is Chemical Invasion. If you are a fan of the genre and have not listened to these guys yet, get off your back end, grab a few beers and check out this release. Clocking in at just less than 40 minutes it’s a balls out shredders dream. Bands to capture the natural aggressiveness of the early and mid 80’s thrash bands. If you are into older Exodus, DRI and bands of that ilk this should sake any thirst you have for new metal. Returning with the same line up from their debut LP Zombie Attack (which I cannot recommend highly enough) Tankard takes to the masses with what I can only describe as a solid piece of 80’s nostalgia. What they lack in songwriting (the lyrics are as bad as thrash can get at some points) they more than make up with attitude and awesome shout along choruses. The musicianship is as frenetic as possible and does not slow down unless absolutely necessary. The album closes on an excellent cover of Gang Green’s awesome ode to the liquid courage, Alcohol. Ranking up there with my favorite thrash covers (right next to Overkill covering the Dead Boy's Sonic Reducer on Feel the Fire) it is a perfect way to end this short, fun excursion into the past of thrash.

Stay metal, my friends.