Hatebreed
Rise of Brutality

2.0
poor

by Pete Mossberg USER (22 Reviews)
February 27th, 2006 | 5 replies | 1,616 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

So, it's finally here - the new album from Connecticuts (and possibly the worlds) angriest band, Hatebreed. This is their fourth release since their debut, "Satisfaction Is the Death of Desire", from 1997. This being the fourth album released also makes it the follow-up to 2002's "Perseverance", one of that year's absolutely best albums - and one of the best hardcore albums ever.

It's no secret that I absolutely loved "Perseverance", so when I first listened to "The Rise of Brutality", my expectations were quite high. And the first thing that came to mind when I played the album was; "Well, they certainly won't dissapoint!". The opening track, "Tear It Down", sets the standard for the speed and brutality of this disc - and it follows right in the footsteps of " Perseverance". After a few tracks had gone by, another thing struck me. It sounds exactly the same as the previous album.

Now, don't get me wrong. These boys know how to play angry, metallic hardcore. But they don't know how to evolve, or so it seems. If you were to mix the tracks from "Perseverance" and "The Rise of Brutality", you'd hear no difference - except that the only songs that would really catch your ear would be from the earlier album. "The Rise" is basically just "Perseverance" in a new package, but with all the wonderful, furoius hooks removed. Parts of what was so great with their 2002 effort is still present on this, their newest album - the screaming vocals of Jamey Jasta, the brutal riffs and the ferocious drumming. But, since they haven't taken a step in any direction what-so-ever, this just seems over and done.

The "brutal" aspects which worked so well on the last album, just makes the band seem like the Manowar of the 21st century now. I've read the band say that the title of the album is a reference both to their brutal music, and to the brutal world we live in. Again, don't get me wrong, I love brutality as much as the next guy, but right here it just doesn't seem genuine and sincere.

So far, this review has just been a rant of how much this album is lacking. With all that said, this is by no means a bad album, it's just that it seems redundant and uninspired. It's really a shame on such a good band, but I will keep faith that they will combine their signature fury with some inventiveness and take the next step on their next album.

Marathon MarathonBigwig Reclamation
Rise Against The Sufferer and the WitnessA Wilhelm Scream Diver
Agoraphobic Nosebleed Altered States of AmericaPropagandhi How to Clean Everything
Damrod EMERITUS (3)

any14doomsday
February 27th 2006

Its a good review for a lame album, But I would say Cable are connecticut's angriest band.

UpperDecker
February 27th 2006

Good review, Doomsayer is one of the heaviest songs they've made.

ocelot-05
February 27th 2006

I'm gonna have to agree with you on that rating. Live For This is a decent song though.

Gnarmageddon
March 18th 2006

I love this album. I don't see why everyone thinks it's their worst.

Nice review, Pete.

faith and fiction
March 19th 2006

Facing What Consumes you is definitely one of my favorite Hatebreed songs to date. Yeah, it's no Satisfaction, but Rise Of Brutality is definitely an awesome album if you're a Hatebreed fan.