Say Anything
...Is a Real Boy

2.0
poor

by controlled USER (10 Reviews)
January 1st, 2013 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: fun.

Look, I love Pop/Punk as much as the next guy (fyi: the “next” guy is William Shatner, he’s got music cred right?), I mean, I like Yellowcard, ‘cause, violins and fast drumming, and I think Blink One Eighty Two are funny because they named an album about jacking off naked, oh, and Fall Out Boy so totally sucks!!! But for the life of me I cannot find the appeal in Say Anything; this frustrates me, because, people who like music (like me and William Shatner) say Say (ha! if you say ‘say’ (I did it again!) enough times it’s weird) Anything are incredible, and I’m pretty sure they had a song on Scrubs and I fucking love Scrubs, so I need to like them -- I think. The problem is, and let me be very clear about this, Say Anything are incredibly boring. Yeah they switch time sigs and they’re excellent at that frenetic pace thing, but more often than not, Say Anything aren’t saying, and furthermore - doing, anything worthwhile; ultimately Say Anything are crafting a work of dung that even a drunk - like me - can’t appreciate, which is sad, because Max Bemis and I sound like cousins on paper.

I attack ...Is A Real Boy because it’s their most revered and because In Defense of the Genre sounds uber fucking pretentious. Maybe attack is the wrong word, but sorry, I just got done playing Black Ops 2. Anyway, I’ll quickly list why this album is not as cathartic nor progressive as allmusic.com says: Opening your album with confliction about opening your album is not interesting; Imagine had Batman opened TDKR by saying he was afraid to show the rest of the movie because Bane has muscles; Saying shit over ten times does not make you edgy because the word edgy should be omitted from our the English vocabulary; Last but definitely not least, just because you’re aware you’re crazy does not excuse “The Crazy”. Honestly I cannot cement my last point hard(!) enough (you like what I’m doing with words here?)... Seriously, folks love Bemis and Co. because of their ability to be aware, but, so what? I know, and often talk, about how drunk I was the night before, but it doesn’t make my condition/life/experience that much more palpable; it just means that I know how to talk about myself truthfully; Congrats! can I get a record deal? (Also, look at my profile page, I'm totally listening to Say Anything right now).

I get that Bemis is outrageous, I mean, who plasters a dick on their album cover and thinks none of it, but, and again, completely serious, who cares? I just feel like the collection of Say Anything fans are fans because Say Anything don’t know... anything about life, and “OMG they sing about that unstableness, that’s totally like me!”. Yes, It would be a different story if the band was humorous in their attempt, but there’s not one joke within ...Is A Real Boy, and I watch Louis C.K. so I know funny; random coincidence, both are overly self aware, guess which one evokes an awareness?

I don’t want to spend this whole review bashing Say Anything because, again, I like Flyleaf so Pop/Punk is totally my thing, I’m just saying, the only reason I listen to the genre is because it’s fun and Say Anything try to preach that fun is doesn’t exist (or something; see even their ridiculousness hinders my "review") which is absurd because I just heard “We Are Young” like four minutes ago.